Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423449 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3720 on: June 01, 2022, 06:52:38 pm »
My keezer was getting low on beer.  So I brewed 2 batches of beer last weekend using the Anvil Foundry 10.5

May 28th brewed 5 gallons of Cream Ale:
American 2 Row (75%)
Sugar Creek Bloody Butcher Malted Red Corn (25%)
Hopped with Magnum and Willamette
Lallemand BRY-97 Dry yeast.
Second time using Bloody Butcher malted red corn.

May 29th brewed 3.5 gallons Torpedo IPA clone.
Simpsons Golden Promise (94%)
Briess Carmel 40L (6%)
Hopped with Magnum, Crystal. Dry hop will be Magnum, Crystal, Citra.
Lallemand BRY-97 Dry yeast.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 09:46:44 pm by purduekenn »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3721 on: June 01, 2022, 07:32:18 pm »
Mexican Lager

Something like:
45% pils
30% flaked corn
20% vienna
5% agave

Bitter with sterling
14g mittelfruh

15 ibu
Diamond or s-23
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3722 on: June 01, 2022, 09:48:04 pm »
Mexican Lager

Something like:
45% pils
30% flaked corn
20% vienna
5% agave

Bitter with sterling
14g mittelfruh

15 ibu
Diamond or s-23
Looks like something I would brew... except the agave.  I haven't done that yet.  Enjoy the brewday. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3723 on: June 02, 2022, 08:09:57 am »
Helles coming up this weekend.  My new Helles recipe is a simple and untraditional 75/25 Pilsner/Munich 1.  I get a nice color with this grain bill.  22 IBUs of Hallertau Mittelfruh from YVH.  Can't get much simpler than that.  Cheers Beerheads.
I like simple
I feel like a helles typically has a smidge more color than say, a pilsner.  With some of the LO steps in place, my wort color has gotten more and more pale over time.  I don't want to steer the style away from where it should be but I would rather not have a helles that's the color of Busch Light.  :D  Weihenstephan Helles and Paulaner Original Munich Lager are on the pale side and they're also incredibly clear.  When I was in Munich I drank a lot of helles and I noticed that many of them had some color to them.  Not a lot but not ultra-pale either.  This 75/25 recipe plus the wort color being more pale with the LO steps should work nicely.  I think Sunday is the brewday.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3724 on: June 02, 2022, 11:05:17 am »

I feel like a helles typically has a smidge more color than say, a pilsner.  With some of the LO steps in place, my wort color has gotten more and more pale over time.  I don't want to steer the style away from where it should be but I would rather not have a helles that's the color of Busch Light.  :D  Weihenstephan Helles and Paulaner Original Munich Lager are on the pale side and they're also incredibly clear.  When I was in Munich I drank a lot of helles and I noticed that many of them had some color to them.  Not a lot but not ultra-pale either.  This 75/25 recipe plus the wort color being more pale with the LO steps should work nicely.  I think Sunday is the brewday.

i think i mentioned somewhere on this forum recently i wasnt a fan of helles usually, this is because of poor examples i think, because if it had that noticeable munich element i couldn understand it. but imho a lot of craft breweries around here use it as an excuse to make a 2row, 15-20IBU noblehop beer sound fancy. also yeah some poor examples of corny crap (paulaner mun. lager, etc) hit these shores.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3725 on: June 02, 2022, 02:00:38 pm »
Interestingly, two American craft breweries won 1st and 2nd place in the World Beer Cup this year for their Helles; Germany's best showing was third in that category, but Weihenstephaner's Helles won in European Pale Lager Bier.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3726 on: June 02, 2022, 02:21:01 pm »
Just put together a recipe for this weekend. It's a (wait for it)...WCIPA!  Who's surprised?

https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/837829
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3727 on: June 02, 2022, 03:11:50 pm »

i think i mentioned somewhere on this forum recently i wasnt a fan of helles usually, this is because of poor examples i think, because if it had that noticeable munich element i couldn understand it. but imho a lot of craft breweries around here use it as an excuse to make a 2row, 15-20IBU noblehop beer sound fancy. also yeah some poor examples of corny crap (paulaner mun. lager, etc) hit these shores.
I have had dreadful examples of helles from American craft breweries.  I have also had excellent examples.  It makes it hard because I want to try them and if I get a bad example I say "Why?  Why would I order a helles from an American Craft brewer?".  I think that even having a German Helles like Weihenstephan or Paulaner here in the US could be dicey unless you went to a place that featured German beer on draft.  They're not always in the best shape.  A well-made helles tastes like beer heaven in it's careful balance and overall drinkability and it's one of my favorite styles when it's done right.  It may also just not be your style.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3728 on: June 02, 2022, 03:13:46 pm »
Interestingly, two American craft breweries won 1st and 2nd place in the World Beer Cup this year for their Helles; Germany's best showing was third in that category, but Weihenstephaner's Helles won in European Pale Lager Bier.
You know which American brewery makes fantastic German-style beers?  Urban Chestnut in St. Louis.  Every one of their beers is fantastic.  I have had their helles, pilsner and I believe a Zwickl.  I have had some nice Helles, Kolsch and festbier from various craft breweries here in Chicago too.  I like to see it.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3729 on: June 02, 2022, 03:46:43 pm »

I feel like a helles typically has a smidge more color than say, a pilsner.  With some of the LO seteps in place, my wort color has gotten more and more pale over time.  I don't want to steer the style away from where it should be but I would rather not have a helles that's the color of Busch Light.  :D  Weihenstephan Helles and Paulaner Original Munich Lager are on the pale side and they're also incredibly clear.  When I was in Munich I drank a lot of helles and I noticed that many of them had some color to them.  Not a lot but not ultra-pale either.  This 75/25 recipe plus the wort color being more pale with the LO steps should work nicely.  I think Sunday is the brewday.

I have had dreadful examples of helles from American craft breweries.  I have also had excellent examples.  It makes it hard because I want to try them and if I get a bad example I say "Why?  Why would I order a helles from an American Craft brewer?".  I think that even having a German Helles like Weihenstephan or Paulaner here in the US could be dicey unless you went to a place that featured German beer on draft.  They're not always in the best shape.  A well-made helles tastes like beer heaven in it's careful balance and overall drinkability and it's one of my favorite styles when it's done right.  It may also just not be your style.

You should taste the beers from Heater Allen out here. They make nothing but lagers and they're stunning. There is no reason Amrican breweries can't make lagers as good as German, or that Germans can't make lagers as poor as some American ones.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3730 on: June 02, 2022, 05:20:29 pm »
Just put together a recipe for this weekend. It's a (wait for it)...WCIPA!  Who's surprised?

https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/837829

that grainfather link requires a login for me, but i was listening to some WCIPA episode of your show and took a few pointers.

my next beer (not too soon) is going to be

88% golden promise (i dont have access to MG and other craft)
9% crystal 40
3% acid malt

then a mix of cascade and cryopop cascade 60, 20, 10, 5 for OG 1.055 and 55 IBU.

im using voss kveik (~81% est. atten so will hit 6% ABV), because it will be hot here and i thought i'd try it, but other than that it's a denny inspired (i think), light WCIPA.

yeah, i wasnt saying that all american helles are bad at all, in fact really im talking about canadian/ontario microbreweries which generally all either have a helles or cream ale filling this role.  im in canada, which imho in general is many, many years behind in terms of skill/seriousness of craft beer and a few years behind in styles, but again it would be very easy for me to taste some very lame, full of flaws "helles" beers here.

we dont get american craft brew here basically at all. i hope to travel to the states though within the next year i imagine.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 05:25:49 pm by fredthecat »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3731 on: June 03, 2022, 08:13:59 am »
I'm mid-whirlpool on a Cosmic Grapefeuit IPA as we speak.

4 gallons end kettle volume
1.055ish OG
Base malt is 50-50 GP and Avangard Pils, with 6 oz of C60
30 min boil, no hops
1 oz each Cryo Pop, Cryo Amarillo, Cryo Mosaic and Grapefruit zest, steeeped at 180F for 45 mins
1 oz Cryo Pop added and steeped at 160F for 15 more minutes before chilling

Omega Cosmic Punch yeast

1 oz each of Cryo Pop, Cryo Amarillo and Cryo Mosaic as active fermentation dry hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3732 on: June 03, 2022, 09:47:38 pm »
For the first time in over a decade I am out of HomeBrew. My hernia surgery and travel set me back. So, I brewed this past week and with any luck will brew tomorrow or Sun and then again later next week or early the week after in an effort to play catch up. According to the FedEx website, I am going to get 6-row, flaked corn and some cluster hops to add to my on hand ingredients to brew a KY Common. I’ve never used 6-row or this much corn so we’ll see how it goes. This is a special beer for me. NSDQ!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 05:29:56 am by BrewBama »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3733 on: June 07, 2022, 09:56:34 am »
Cleaning and sanitizing fermenter whle brewing Tripel today

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3734 on: June 12, 2022, 10:40:00 am »
Amber Ale today. Amber Waves grain bill with Lupomax Cascade hops.