Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 10585 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2014, 07:31:23 am »
Makes you want a pint of England Bitter. Definitely no Canada Lager, though.      ;)
Or a Germany Pilsner.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2014, 07:40:12 am »
I find homebrewers who come into a brewery and think they know more about brewing beer than the head brewer extremely annoying and far too common.

What if I do? ;)

Maybe you do, maybe you don't. But you shouldn't try to show off your knowledge to the head brewer. It gets old and boring. Remember that brewers have their own reasons for doing things. Maybe they don't want to stick to the syle guides 110%! Maybe they don't own a copy of "Brewing Classic Styles". As a for instance. I made a stout that I posted here a while back with Dark german munich. It was really, really tasty. Guy comes up to me and tries to tell me "this isn;t a "traditional" Irish Stout."

Yeah, maybe not. I also used German ale yeast. To me it was better than a traditional Irish stout. So STFU homebrew nazi!
Sounds similar to mine, which is evaluating beer (usually of a commercial beer) starting with "Is this what I think I should be drinking" vs "Is this tasty beer"
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2014, 08:42:56 am »
maybe we can retitle this topic "Barley whiners"
Ralph R.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2014, 09:26:31 am »
maybe we can retitle this topic "Barley whiners"

Add bad puns to the list.  ;D

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2014, 09:38:50 am »
I find homebrewers who come into a brewery and think they know more about brewing beer than the head brewer extremely annoying and far too common.

If it is any consolation, that guy has already annoyed everybody else in the room before he got to you.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 09:45:47 am »

If it is any consolation, that guy has already annoyed everybody else in the room before he got to you.
I make an effort not to be "that guy".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 09:52:04 am »

+1 Same here.  I go to a brewpub where I know the brewer, and he'll often ask my impression of a beer, and I give it when asked. But I wouldn't march in and presume to second guess a guy, or feel I needed to pepper him with half a$$ed questions, like some. When I go to a brewpub for the first time, I get the sampler flight of whatever is offered. Tells me everything I need to know about the place (and the guy).
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 10:13:00 am »
My big one is people that are into the "craft beer scene" and spend a whole lot of time worrying about what other people drink and bagging on them for it. Why should I care if someone wants to drink a light lager? Same people usually spend way to much time bragging about the beer collection too. 

In homebrewing drives me nuts when people insist that their way of brewing is the only way to make great beer (you can only use glass or fly sparge etc). As a wise man once said… "There are many ways to the top of the mountain."

+1.060 x 2!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 01:09:19 pm »

What if I do? ;)

Maybe you do, maybe you don't. But you shouldn't try to show off your knowledge to the head brewer. It gets old and boring. Remember that brewers have their own reasons for doing things. Maybe they don't want to stick to the syle guides 110%! Maybe they don't own a copy of "Brewing Classic Styles". As a for instance. I made a stout that I posted here a while back with Dark german munich. It was really, really tasty. Guy comes up to me and tries to tell me "this isn;t a "traditional" Irish Stout."

Yeah, maybe not. I also used German ale yeast. To me it was better than a traditional Irish stout. So STFU homebrew nazi!

Ummm.  I was just picking on you, Keith!  But yeah, I get that, and I try not to be THAT guy!  And the beer sound delicious, BTW.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 03:06:29 pm »

What if I do? ;)

I've noticed this and have mentioned it before. The default seems to be tge style guide, and some take it one step farther. It has to be within a percent or two of the Brewing Clasic Styles recipe. News flash, less than 1% of beer drinkers know about the styles.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »
I experienced what I would say is an exception.  I visited a local brewery last year for dinner.  After perusing their beer list I selected one (don't remember which, but it was a fairly common style like a Brown Ale or something).  When it came it was a sour whatever.  No mention in the beer list about it being a sour beer.  I did tell the server that it probably should have been noted in the description.  She, like she should have, offered to replace the beer so all was made right but I think that is a legit complaint.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 06:32:16 am »

What if I do? ;)

Ummm.  I was just picking on you, Keith!  But yeah, I get that, and I try not to be THAT guy!  And the beer sound delicious, BTW.

Yeah. I know buddy! But you're stepping on my pet peeves. What do you expect? ;)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:41 am »

+1 Same here.  I go to a brewpub where I know the brewer, and he'll often ask my impression of a beer, and I give it when asked. But I wouldn't march in and presume to second guess a guy, or feel I needed to pepper him with half a$$ed questions, like some. When I go to a brewpub for the first time, I get the sampler flight of whatever is offered. Tells me everything I need to know about the place (and the guy).

I did this at a new brewery here in nebraska, first time there and had a flight, they all tasted terrible. I wanted to tell him but he never came over and asked how they were so I kept my mouth shut.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2014, 01:56:15 pm »

False pints. Pint is a unit of measure, not a shape. If a place calls it a pint, I expect a pint.

+1

Hear hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.  I pointed out at a local that the English style "pint" was a 12 oz glass, so to prove me wrong the bartender filled one with water and poured it into the 12 oz shaker glass.  I told her she only proved to me that all their glasses are 12 oz and she got pissed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 02:40:10 pm »

False pints. Pint is a unit of measure, not a shape. If a place calls it a pint, I expect a pint.

+1

Hear hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.  I pointed out at a local that the English style "pint" was a 12 oz glass, so to prove me wrong the bartender filled one with water and poured it into the 12 oz shaker glass.  I told her she only proved to me that all their glasses are 12 oz and she got pissed.
Wonder what they would do if you walked in with a Pyrex measuring cup?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild