3) Bird on Type
5 (12.5%)
4) Alice in Wonderland
1 (2.5%)
5) Flying Y 2
20 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: May 05, 2010, 07:45:50 am

Author Topic: Logo Critique - UPDATE Pg 3  (Read 14789 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Logo Critique - UPDATE Pg 3
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 08:12:55 am »
Like I said over there
The bird from #3 there and its GOLD

Still VERY NICE though, classy yet mysterious (cue Rush album)

A lot of people have given negative comments on the "bird" drawing on #3 and, I admit, it doesn't really look like a Yellowhammer. I've had a really hard time actually drawing the bird correctly (it's an odd bird to draw, the best one I did (not pictured here) captured the likeness perfectly but was too "Audubon Society" looking and had too much detail to simplify correctly.

Plus we have to have a stamp to put on kegs and I want the Y and the Bird to be incorporated together.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 08:18:12 am »
Got yah, that makes sense

FWIW
I have two pairs that breed on my property every year

Noisy bastards, pretty bird in flught though
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 08:28:54 am »
Looks really good.

At first glance it reads...Yello-Whammer...which would also be a good name. ;D

Definitely like the new version but I agree with Bluesman on this.  Maybe mess with the font size a little and make the Y and H slightly higher than the other letters?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 08:56:13 am »
Definitely like the new version but I agree with Bluesman on this.  Maybe mess with the font size a little and make the Y and H slightly higher than the other letters?

Actually, I'm not so worried about the font. I just slapped that on there. Just concentrating on the brand. I need something extremely simple that will brand us (something that will work both in color and Black and White). Here:

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01:56 am »
In that case, I like it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 09:04:57 am »
Very nice...I think that's a winner.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 09:28:49 am »
Keith, I'm likin' the new one a LOT!  Very classy and it gets your point across.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 09:47:37 am »
Just concentrating on the brand. I need something extremely simple that will brand us (something that will work both in color and Black and White). Here:

Yeah, I could definitely get with that one.
Joe

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 09:57:46 am »
A lot of people have given negative comments on the "bird" drawing on #3 and, I admit, it doesn't really look like a Yellowhammer. I've had a really hard time actually drawing the bird correctly (it's an odd bird to draw, the best one I did (not pictured here) captured the likeness perfectly but was too "Audubon Society" looking and had too much detail to simplify correctly.

Actually, the "bird" on #3 was it's biggest selling point to me.  I always find it easier to "simplify" a logo when working from a picture of the actual thing.  Maybe something like this as a good starting point...

Joe

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 10:37:20 am »

Now, that's a good logo.

I'm liking your latest revision a lot better than the first 5 options; it's a lot cleaner and easily recognizable. 
Logos are symbolic representations (where features get simplified or exaggerated to facilitate recognition).

As long as the creative juices are flowing, I wouldn't abandon the "hammer" tag line idea just yet--Your brewery is named YellowHammer, after all.
I don't recommend it being used in the context of "Let's get hammered (i.e., drunk)", as you've mentioned, but, rather, in more clever twists of common expressions.  For example, husband asking his wife or carpenter asking his co-worker "Have you seen my hammer?"  or "Try this Hammer..." or birdwatchers (wearing roll tide t-shirts) looking through their binoculars at a YellowHammer (beer, not bird), and exclaiming, "Oh, look!  A YellowHammer!"  I'm sure you and others will come up with something far better.  Better branding and taglines, along with a great product, will sell more beer.

I understand and respect your desire to promote responsible drinking, but you are not responsible for the drinking habits of others. 
Young college kids and drunks looking for a cheap buzz won't be as likely to inbibe craft beers due to cost.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:42 am »
Only problem with invoking a hammer at all is that it completely clouds an already somewhat cloudy marketing message...the connection between yellowhammer and the bird of that name is a bit obscure to us out-of-towners and showing a hammer or using a hammer in a marketing sort of way confuses that somewhat fragile connection.  If a literal hammer is invoked, people are more likely to take the name more literally, and then be more confused by the bird in the logo. 

If you've picked the little avian fellow as your brand image, adding an actual hammer in will likely only complicate and confuse the branding, I think.  But then, I'm not paid the big bucks for marketingspeak!

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 11:14:35 am »
Yep, I dig the new logo.  Lookin' good!

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Logo Critique
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 12:06:00 pm »
OK - Sat down yesterday and this morning and dialed it in a little more thanks to all of the great comments I got from people here and elsewhere. I do think that this one might be more approachable, especially for our theme. One of the best comments I got was that the FYV2 was too industrial. Here's a more organic version. Comments welcome and appreciated.

The second one really pops to me . . Something about the red font moves me to action . . .
Just brew it...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 12:10:55 pm »

Actually, the "bird" on #3 was it's biggest selling point to me.  I always find it easier to "simplify" a logo when working from a picture of the actual thing.  Maybe something like this as a good starting point...

That is THE ABSOLUTE BEST shot of the Yellowhammer I have seen!!! and you have no idea how hard I have searched!!! thanks for that!!!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 12:21:16 pm »
I like the new iterations the best by far.  Nice job!!!

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)