Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 2015 First Round Results  (Read 20892 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: NHC 2015 First Round Results
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2015, 05:01:04 am »
New personal low score of 15.5...on a beer that medalled last year. LOL
currently drinking a liter of it since I don't have to save it for finals.

Hopefully your scoresheets will have some indication why it was scored so low.  That sucks...I've had entries judged in the same day that won a gold in one comp and got a 25 in another.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 05:37:31 am »
New personal low score of 15.5...on a beer that medalled last year. LOL
currently drinking a liter of it since I don't have to save it for finals.

Hopefully your scoresheets will have some indication why it was scored so low.  That sucks...I've had entries judged in the same day that won a gold in one comp and got a 25 in another.

I submitted two solid entries last year and both scored in the low 20's.  I was incredulous until I tasted the finals bottles only to find one with an infection and the other with massive oxidation.  I hope I corrected for it this year as I took two off the tap again.  Difference this year though are the Perlick faucets that I sanitized ahead of time and used the flow adjuster to minimize the foam.  Fingers crossed.
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2015, 05:52:41 am »

I have a Helles that I will gladly drink this summer. Too hop forward for style, and more like a Pilsner according to the judges. I used 4 oz of Hallertau in 11 gallons, hops are about 3.4 AA, 2oz FWH, 1 oz at 30, 1 oz at 10. Came to 16.6 IBU calcultated, malt leads the show, some hop flavor and aroma, and a neutral finish. They should taste my Pilsner, now that is hop forward!

Wow.  I can't see how that hop level in 11 gallons could make someone think of pils, Jeff.  Oh well, I'm sure it's great.
Jon H.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2015, 05:58:48 am »
Best of luck to you my friend; on the cider subject I just returned from GLINTCAP where my stuff was very well received. We'll see if I can maybe break through in cider in SD.
Cheers--
--Michael

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2015, 06:27:34 am »
no love this year for me either. more for me.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2015, 10:27:03 am »
Denver is posted.
Brian Eichhorn -BJCP #C0839
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2015, 11:15:39 am »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 11:00:10 pm »
How long is the verifying process?  We judged Chicago last Saturday and I thought it was all being entered that day....obviously there is something else that has to occur?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2015, 12:22:01 am »
How long is the verifying process?  We judged Chicago last Saturday and I thought it was all being entered that day....obviously there is something else that has to occur?

The results from each region are sent to the AHA, where everything is verified to make sure no scoring or other errors were made.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
NHC 2015 First Round Results
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2015, 04:25:57 pm »
Congrats and best of luck to all who advanced!

This was my first time entering NHC and, very surprisingly, my German Pils will be advancing. Perhaps annoying to some, interesting to others, is the fact this was the "sloppy" beer from the recent xBmt I did comparing beers pitched with a clean starter vs. unrinsed slurry (link below). It was the last of my entries I thought would do well. Go figure.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/02/sloppy-slurry-vs-clean-starter-exbeeriment-results/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2015, 04:41:48 pm »
Congrats and best of luck to all who advanced!

This was my first time entering NHC and, very surprisingly, my German Pils will be advancing. Perhaps annoying to some, interesting to others, is the fact this was the "sloppy" beer from the recent xBmt I did comparing beers pitched with a clean starter vs. unrinsed slurry (link below). It was the last of my entries I thought would do well. Go figure.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/02/sloppy-slurry-vs-clean-starter-exbeeriment-results/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats. just demonstrates the path to greatness is full of twists and turns off the beaten path.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2015, 10:34:00 am »
Saint Paul is posted.
Brian Eichhorn -BJCP #C0839
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge

Offline Frenchy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2015, 04:15:55 pm »
This was my first time entering the NHC, so excuse my questions. My entry went to St Paul, and it's listed as "2nd Place" in Category 8. I'm not clear if that means I've won a ribbon or certificate. Or is there no way to know until I know my score(s)?

Also, does this mean I've advanced to the final round? If so, will I be told when to send additional bottles to San Diego? And what would my entries be competing against, if they did advance?

My back story... I've been brewing for almost two years. I was inspired to do so out of necessity. I just couldn't find a decent, traditional, low gravity, English bitter that tasted anything like I've had in the UK. In the past two years, through a lot of trial and error and recipe tweaking (concentrating on making this one beer style), I managed to brew something, consistently, that is exactly what I want to drink. Now I'll move on to another style!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2015, 04:24:13 pm »
This was my first time entering the NHC, so excuse my questions. My entry went to St Paul, and it's listed as "2nd Place" in Category 8. I'm not clear if that means I've won a ribbon or certificate. Or is there no way to know until I know my score(s)?

Also, does this mean I've advanced to the final round? If so, will I be told when to send additional bottles to San Diego? And what would my entries be competing against, if they did advance?

My back story... I've been brewing for almost two years. I was inspired to do so out of necessity. I just couldn't find a decent, traditional, low gravity, English bitter that tasted anything like I've had in the UK. In the past two years, through a lot of trial and error and recipe tweaking (concentrating on making this one beer style), I managed to brew something, consistently, that is exactly what I want to drink. Now I'll move on to another style!
Congratulations Frenchy! As I understand it; assuming your beer has scored 30+, yes, you've won a red 2nd place ribbon, a certificate and your beer advanced to San Diego. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2015, 04:28:36 pm »
Nice work, Frenchy !
Jon H.