Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison attempt  (Read 15480 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Saison attempt
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2015, 03:41:39 am »
Crashed these yesterday, then pitched magic gelatin. Both had a nice classic bret pelicle at the time. We'll see how that effects gel I guess. Bottling these probably Wednesday

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2015, 08:24:28 am »
Nice.  This thread has inpsired me to try 3724 again.

It's chugging away right now in a side-by-side with 3711.

Hopefully, no stall.  But if so, I can be patient.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:14 pm »
Just got my starter going for a delicious summer saison with WY 3724 (my absolute fav strain for this style).  Will be brewing up a new recipe this time around on Wed.  I am hoping for under a mos in primary, but ready to roll with whatever the strain throws at me!

Cheers!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2015, 03:48:21 pm »
Next time I do saisons im going to make 1 gallon starters and let them go to completion, then decant and repitch, to try to get some of that second generation vitality I keep hearing about. But for now I'm pretty stoked that these will be bret saisons.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2015, 05:10:52 pm »
Just took my terminal gravity which ended up being 1.002 on the 100% pils and 1.003 on the 100% red x. Both held a great balance between saison character and pineappley lambicus bret character. The red x is slightly hazy and the pils is crystal clear. These will be awesome to enjoy on a hot august evening! I'll have to hide a few to see how the bret evolves over time.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »
Sounds tasty! I need to try and brew another saison soon.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »
Just took my terminal gravity which ended up being 1.002 on the 100% pils and 1.003 on the 100% red x. Both held a great balance between saison character and pineappley lambicus bret character. The red x is slightly hazy and the pils is crystal clear. These will be awesome to enjoy on a hot august evening! I'll have to hide a few to see how the bret evolves over time.

Sounds good, man. I'm enjoying my 3724 saison (non-bretted) right now - came out really nice. I cracked a Boulevard Saison-Brett last weekend, though. I kept it long enough (a year-ish) to let the brett get nice and funky. Just a killer beer.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2015, 10:36:23 pm »

Sounds good, man. I'm enjoying my 3724 saison (non-bretted) right now - came out really nice. I cracked a Boulevard Saison-Brett last weekend, though. I kept it long enough (a year-ish) to let the brett get nice and funky. Just a killer beer.
Haven't tried Boulevard yet but I love Logsdon Saison Bretta

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »

That beer is truly a treat.  Just be sure to have a big enough glass for the crazy head it produces.  I couldn't drink my last one for about 15 minutes even after a careful pour. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2015, 03:42:26 pm »
That beer is truly a treat.  Just be sure to have a big enough glass for the crazy head it produces.  I couldn't drink my last one for about 15 minutes even after a careful pour. 

Yeah, for sure. At a year after purchase, this bottle had massive amounts of carbonation and foam, but it was worth the wait after pouring. I'd never been able to save a bottle of it that long 'cause it's so damn good.  ;D
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2015, 02:42:44 pm »
Cool, Jim.  I have my saison coming up next week.  Ferment it out fully, then add fully ripe Blackberries - like 6 pounds and add Brett to finish.  After 2-3 moths from that date - it should be getting good.  But, if I can hold off until 6 months later, it will be so good that I won't waste it on a comp. I had a gallon that I held out until late April this past spring and man was it good.  Glad you are into this!
This sounds very intriguing, care to share your full recipe?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »
Kinda final check in here. I tried a bottle of the blond last night, expecting it to be a tad immature. Only negative is that the alcohol (~7%) is noticeable. No fusel though, no other off flavors either. Its nearly brilliant with a white head that lasts pretty well for a bigger beer that is that dry. Aroma is a blend of Belgian esters, Bret fruitiness, nobel hops, and pils malt. Flavor matches the aroma. Finish is bone dry and slightly tart with alcohol warmth I mentioned before. I think it turned out pretty good for my first saison.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2015, 06:23:10 pm »
Nice, enjoy that brew!  I intentionally went for a lower OG this time around.  The last saison I made had more alcohol than I wanted too (I didn't account for the low FG when planning it and used champagne yeast to finish it). 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:19 pm »
Precisely my thought. At 7% its not easy to rip through a couple 750s on a hot afternoon

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2015, 07:51:09 am »
Precisely my thought. At 7% its not easy to rip through a couple 750s on a hot afternoon

That could be a good or bad thing.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing