Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sharing beers at the NHC  (Read 8689 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Sharing beers at the NHC
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:33:23 am »
I plan to bring a number of beers to the NHC for sharing and I assume others will do the same.

To get the most out of it I wouldn’t mind meeting up with those of you who are at the NHC and are interested, find a quiet corner and sample each other’s beer.  This way I may palate may still be intact to enjoy some of the more delicate beers.

Any takers?

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Sharing beers at the NHC
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:56 am »
Kai,

If I was able to attend I would definitely take you up on this offer. Thanks, but can I get a raincheck for next year's NHC because I am going to make every effort to attend next year.

Have fun!
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »
I'd love to taste, but since I'm flying I'll have nothing to share.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:42:36 pm »

Why's that?  You don't really need clothes.  Pack them in your suitcase.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 12:43:04 pm »

I hear you and many others will have the same problem. I plan to pay for checked luggage one way to bring some beers.

I just checked Delta's baggage restrictions and it does not limit the amount of alcohol in the checked luggage.

Kai
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:57:12 pm by Kaiser »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 02:54:46 pm »

I hear you and many others will have the same problem. I plan to pay for checked luggage one way to bring some beers.

I just checked Delta's baggage restrictions and it does not limit the amount of alcohol in the checked luggage.

Kai

I checked baggage, too, but no room for beer.  I didn't even bring my ukulele!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:31:25 pm »

Kai

I checked baggage, too, but no room for beer.  I didn't even bring my ukulele!

Heresy! Heresy, I tell you!
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

boulderbrewer

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 08:32:19 pm »
I would like to share, I'm bringing my dort that is in the second round. I'm even bringing a Wrye IPA to temp Denny's palate. I will have a hospitality suite set up in my room. PM me to set up a tasting. I'm sure Thirsty Monk and On the Keg and AOD will be around as we have agreed to meet up.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 06:16:40 am »
I'll be glad to taste anyone's beer, but please don't ask my opinion of it unless you truly want to know! Club night is really the place for beer tasting  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 07:39:30 am »
Club night is really the place for beer tasting  ;)

If club night it like some of our club meetings I think it would be nicer and more enjoyable to taste beers in a smaller group and less noisy setting. I don't think club night would be the time when you really critique a beer. I don't see myself making negative comments at club night. Not having been there before, but I think of club night as the place to walk around enjoy beer and hopefully have some good conversations.

I always want to have honest feedback and more importantly be able to discuss it. In the end I tend to me my worst critic anyway.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:59:27 am »
I'm with ya, Kai.  Club night is great, but between the plethora of beer and food and the commotion, it isn't my first choice for critical beer tasting.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
  • Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:33:53 pm »
After many years of my asking clubs to have at least one beer of session strength (I recognize that we're trying to show off our biggest and baddest beers), the Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG) has decided to present a session beer themed club night.  So please stop by our British Pub at club night and take a break from the liver-busting (albeit tasty) beers and relax.  I think we have about a dozen tasty but low alcohol beers.

One beer that we are presenting is my "April 7, 1933," a 3.2% abw (4.0% abv) Classic American Pilsner.

Here is my "point-of-sale" description"

"In March, 1933, just after FDR and the new congress took office, Congress passed the Cullen-Harrison Act, amending the Volstead Act, and raising the definition of "intoxicating liquor" under the 18th Amendment from 0.5% abw to 3.2% abw (4.0% abv).  The act went into effect on April 7, 1933; breweries shipped at midnight and taverns opened at that hour.  After 13 years, thirsty Americans at last could have a beer.

"This is that beer."
AHA Member since 1980, Life Member
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild charter member (1986)
AHA Governing Committee (2002 - 2011)
BJCP since 1991, National
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 10:25:27 pm »
One beer that we are presenting is my "April 7, 1933," a 3.2% abw (4.0% abv) Classic American Pilsner.

Here is my "point-of-sale" description"

"In March, 1933, just after FDR and the new congress took office, Congress passed the Cullen-Harrison Act, amending the Volstead Act, and raising the definition of "intoxicating liquor" under the 18th Amendment from 0.5% abw to 3.2% abw (4.0% abv).  The act went into effect on April 7, 1933; breweries shipped at midnight and taverns opened at that hour.  After 13 years, thirsty Americans at last could have a beer.

"This is that beer."

I was fortunate to try Jeff's beer yesterday....it was absolutely delicious.  If I could brew somehting that good, I'd be drinking a lot more 3.2% beers.  Of course, I'd have to change my sig to "Life begins at 32...";)

www.dennybrew.com

narvin

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:44 am »
Wish I could be there.  Maybe next year.  In the meantime, I might have to send Kai a bottle of my latest German pils in exchange for something delicious of his  ;)

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 12:32:00 am »
I couldn't make it to the Conference but the best I can say is to check out Steve Hamburg's talk.  I believe it's primarily about cask beer but the batch brewed should be an eminently drinkable session beer.