Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxidation - Mitch Steele  (Read 9667 times)

RPIScotty

Re: Oxidation - Mitch Steele
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2016, 05:41:23 am »
If I go straight from the fermenter, through my spigot and into the bottles with the wand I shouldn't have any oxygen pickup, correct?

narvin

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2016, 06:05:17 am »
If I go straight from the fermenter, through my spigot and into the bottles with the wand I shouldn't have any oxygen pickup, correct?

Only if you're purging the bottles with CO2.  But if you're racking beer with yeast and bottle conditioning, it matters a lot less.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2016, 07:01:08 am »
Using an autosiphon looks way easier than that set up. Using the spigot on a Speidel even easier. ;)
I got a speidel for Christmas and kegged my first batch fermented in it this past Saturday. Boy, was it easier! I purged my keg with CO2 first.  Only problem is I then dry hopped.  Guess I will add my dry hops first, then purge next time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

+1

I love the ability to just drain via a spigot, no siphon to worry about. For my hoppy beer's I try and purge the tubing with C02 as well as the keg, haven't had a problem, but then again haven't had 5 gallons of hoppy beer last more than 3 months and usually shorter.
How do you purge a piece of tubing? You put co2 in it, it's just going to be immediately mixed with air again. That's overkill. Unless you're doing a closed transfer from a keg to a keg, I don't know how you would 100% purge a piece of tubing that you're hooking up to a spigot.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2016, 08:57:08 am »
How do you purge a piece of tubing? You put co2 in it, it's just going to be immediately mixed with air again. That's overkill. Unless you're doing a closed transfer from a keg to a keg, I don't know how you would 100% purge a piece of tubing that you're hooking up to a spigot.

You'd need to fill it with water and drain that at the start of the transfer.  Which is a PITA and why I started doing pressurized transfers.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2016, 09:41:51 am »

You'd need to fill it with water and drain that at the start of the transfer.  Which is a PITA and why I started doing pressurized transfers.
Or just run a portion of beer through it, then go to the receiving vessel.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2016, 10:20:40 am »
Using an autosiphon looks way easier than that set up. Using the spigot on a Speidel even easier. ;)
I got a speidel for Christmas and kegged my first batch fermented in it this past Saturday. Boy, was it easier! I purged my keg with CO2 first.  Only problem is I then dry hopped.  Guess I will add my dry hops first, then purge next time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

+1

I love the ability to just drain via a spigot, no siphon to worry about. For my hoppy beer's I try and purge the tubing with C02 as well as the keg, haven't had a problem, but then again haven't had 5 gallons of hoppy beer last more than 3 months and usually shorter.

You can do a closed transfer on the Spiedel. You can have your receiving vessel charged with a low oressure of co2 2psi or so) and blow the co2 back through the tube. Theres a tiny hole on the back side of the spigot when it's in "closed position". You purge through that. You can also rig up something top gently push the beer with co2, thus replacing the head space with co2 instead of air.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2016, 12:01:04 pm »
Ah, I had this image of someone trying to blow co2 into the tube with their co2 setup and thinking it would be purged. Guess I didn't think that one through much further. When I ferment in kegs, I push sanitizer through my jumper until it's all gone, then there's nothing but co2 in the line, and transfer the beer from keg to keg. Works great, but I like fermenting in buckets right now as I can skim off the braunhefe crap, which I think truly makes a difference. Can't do that in a keg; not very easily anyway...
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2016, 02:47:47 pm »
Ha ha!

I'd have to pump several times which seemed to aerate it, and still noticed an air bubble where the hose attaches to the cane that slowly filled. And upon ending it gurgled a lot. This was the only thing that made sense to me.

If you chill your beer down first prior to racking it with an autosiphon setup, you will not have that tiny bubble issue in between the tubing and racking cane.  The cold seems to contract the plastic better making a tighter seal, at least IME.

And, you can also use a tubing clip to pinch off your flow so you don't get any extra gurgling oxygen bubbles coming through your siphon into your packaging. I used both of these methods prior to close transfering via CO2 into my kegs with good success.

Thanks for the info! I shall give this a try on Monday when I bottle next. Is the temp of my chamber (64*) enough of a chill? If it is I figured I'd put it in there the evening prior to bottling.

64F is not chilling the beer at all.  You will need to get it cold as in 30-40 deg F for best results.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2016, 08:07:24 pm »
I have a small sealed room in the garage that I purge with CO2...I wear a full body SCUBA suit during the transfer from fermenter to keg…
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2016, 08:08:56 pm »
I have a small sealed room in the garage that I purge with CO2...I wear a full body SCUBA suit during the transfer from fermenter to keg…

Nice. That's pretty thorough.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »
I don't wear the flippers though...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2016, 09:27:50 pm »
If you had a nitro setup, you might get the bends.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:05 pm »

You can do a closed transfer on the Spiedel. You can have your receiving vessel charged with a low oressure of co2 2psi or so) and blow the co2 back through the tube. Theres a tiny hole on the back side of the spigot when it's in "closed position". You purge through that. You can also rig up something top gently push the beer with co2, thus replacing the head space with co2 instead of air.

Yeah, the tiny hole in the spigot is the trick. I'm certainly not going for a true closed system, my beers don't tend to last long enough for me to go quite that far, but I'm at least able to minimize the oxygen pickup. I tend not to worry about the oxygen sucked into the top of the fermenter while transferring. The beer has a layer of C02 on top already, and there is no disturbance to the top of the beer, as well as it being a slow/gentle drain. I'm sure I get a bit of oxygen, but it's small enough that I haven't picked up any oxidation that I can taste within the amount of time I take to finish up a keg.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:55 pm »
I don't wear the flippers though...
Where's your commitment?
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2016, 04:00:02 am »

Yeah, the tiny hole in the spigot is the trick. I'm certainly not going for a true closed system, my beers don't tend to last long enough for me to go quite that far, but I'm at least able to minimize the oxygen pickup. I tend not to worry about the oxygen sucked into the top of the fermenter while transferring. The beer has a layer of C02 on top already, and there is no disturbance to the top of the beer, as well as it being a slow/gentle drain. I'm sure I get a bit of oxygen, but it's small enough that I haven't picked up any oxidation that I can taste within the amount of time I take to finish up a keg.

Yep. For small batches I don't worry too much but if it is convenient I will minimize os pick up at every chance. I definitely purge any secondary transfer vessel though. I think that makes a difference.