Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 49910 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #405 on: June 16, 2016, 09:35:24 am »

Jim's challenge beer. The card only says challenge.

Looks like a stout. Mild hops on the nose. First sip is roast. Thin body. Not bad.

Full review to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was 1/2 lb of roasted barley steeped as 3 gallons heated on the kitchen stove. When I could see steam, I pulled the bag and stired in a 3lb sack of DME. Stuff I had, I think it was pils. At a boil I added a palm full of cascade pellets. Ten min later I added whirlfloc. Ten min later I put the pot in a sink full of ice and added a palm full of cascade and a palm full of centennial. This all was done while I was waiting for an all grain to mash. After brewing two all grain batches, I poured this into a bucket an dumped in a packet of US05.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #406 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:17 pm »

Jim's challenge beer. The card only says challenge.

I believe the card reads "Chall ange."  That is French for "drink me".  8)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #407 on: June 21, 2016, 09:02:26 am »
Sorry for the delay. It's been extremely busy lately, but here are a few brief reviews of beers that Amanda sent me.

The first is her cyser. I'll be completely honest. This is the first cyser I've ever had. It poured a beautiful straw yellow color. It was very clear. It was also purposely not carbed. The nose was certainly of apple. The taste and finish was similar to a sweet Riesling. It was a refreshing beverage.

The second was her dry hopped version of her GOOAAALDEN Sour. Again, sours are not readily available in small town Ohio, but I have had a few. This was everything that you would expect in a sour. It poured a hazy amber color. The Amarillo dry hops added a nice hop aroma that added to the funky nose. The sour was sharp, making it a nice sipping beer for me. It was very good and look forward to trying the the non-dry hopped version soon.

Amanda also supplied me with a bomber of Crane Orange Gose. And of course I deleted the picture from my phone. This is a small local brewery near her. I split this beer with my uncle during a break of building my deck. Very refreshing beer. It was light, with a more than noticeable orange aroma and flavor. Then it had a slightly salty finish.

I will review the other sour after I drink it. She also sent me a bomber of Nebraska Brewing Sexy Betty, which is a RIS that is aged in brandy barrels. This went into my Christmas stash. I'll report back on this around the holidays. I really can't wait to try this one. There's a chance that this might come out during a beer tasting that I'll be hosting later this summer... But I'm not quite sure that I want to share it  :P
Frank

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #408 on: June 22, 2016, 07:45:40 pm »
Just finished crushing some coriander in the mortar and pestle as a summer storm rolled. My wit is coming to the end of the mash and I've got some time to post.

Jim's old school APA.

Enjoyed this last night while making dinner for the kids.

Bottled off the keg. Light fiZ when I opened it so I was afraid it might be under carbed. No so.

It poured a crystal clear golden color with a frothy white head.

The nose is all hops but not over powering.

I got hops upfront in the flavor followed by some sweet malt and a clean finish.  Some citrus too.

There was no detectable alcohol.

I don't have notes on mouthfeel but it seemed just right. This is a solid beer. Very tasty.

Jim also sent along the slip into darkness cascading dark lager.

I can't find my notes (the note cards are handy Jim ) but it was tasty. Big roast and lots of PNW hops. Smooth. I did not share it with the wife.

I think I've got two commercial brews left but I'm done with Jim's beers unfortunately.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #409 on: June 23, 2016, 07:38:28 am »
Good deal, glad you enjoyed it

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #410 on: June 28, 2016, 09:43:31 am »
Holy Crud do I feel like a *&#% Heal....Coolman26 has been in the hospital for 20 days...hence no communication...I will crawl back in my hole now...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #411 on: June 28, 2016, 10:52:39 am »
Holy Crud do I feel like a *&#% Heal....Coolman26 has been in the hospital for 20 days...hence no communication...I will crawl back in my hole now...
Sorry to hear that I hope he is better. And we all have put our foot in our mouth before.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #412 on: June 28, 2016, 10:55:33 am »
Sorry to hear that I hope he is better. And we all have put our foot in our mouth before.

Yep. Feel better coolman26.
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #413 on: June 28, 2016, 01:30:25 pm »
Glenn it is no big deal. How would you have known anyway. I've been through enough healthcare since 2000 for all of us. Thanks for the thoughts, greatly appreciated. Everyone has setbacks in life. Trudge on through, all you can do. I'm sending some SunKing, 3 Floyds, Upland, Schlafly, and TinMan.

Jeff B

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #414 on: June 28, 2016, 05:29:12 pm »
Jeff,

After hearing about your ordeal, I just hope you heal up and get back to doing what you enjoy...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2016, 08:19:02 pm »
Please tell me that your hospitalization had nothing to do with your consumption of my Homebrew!!!!  Get well soon, Coolman26!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #416 on: June 30, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »
Actually may have saved me!!

Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #417 on: June 30, 2016, 03:57:56 pm »
I'll have some reviews up soon. All were awesome, step above anything on any shelf. Loved that Amber Lager!!

Jeff B

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #418 on: August 02, 2016, 10:43:32 am »
Finally getting around to my final reviews of the beers Jim sent.  These last two are commercial beers, not homebrew.

The first (second to last?) is pFriem Family Brewers Pilsner.  I drank this one awhile ago, while cooking dinner as usual.  It poured a clear straw color with a big frothy head (no pictures that I can recall).  It had a mildly hoppy and sweet aroma.  I got a strong bitterness on the first sip, which faded to a malt sweetness in the after taste.  The malt sweetness was more pronounced as the beer warmed up.  Nice lacing on the glass.

The final beer was Rogue's 8 Hop IPA.  Shared this with the wife last night while - you guessed it - making dinner.  Didn't take any notes, but it was delicious.  Not over-the-top hoppy.  The wife liked it, too, and she's not usually one to drink hoppy beers.  IPAs have changed significantly since I started brewing some 20 years ago.  Much lighter in body and more drinkable.  I've largely avoided them for the last decade or more, but I think I'll be coming back to them more often.

This swap was fun.  Thanks for the beers, Jim.  And thanks for the second effort on getting them delivered.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #419 on: December 17, 2016, 04:24:52 pm »
Finally getting around to my final reviews of the beers Jim sent.  These last two are commercial beers, not homebrew.

The first (second to last?) is pFriem Family Brewers Pilsner.  I drank this one awhile ago, while cooking dinner as usual.  It poured a clear straw color with a big frothy head (no pictures that I can recall).  It had a mildly hoppy and sweet aroma.  I got a strong bitterness on the first sip, which faded to a malt sweetness in the after taste.  The malt sweetness was more pronounced as the beer warmed up.  Nice lacing on the glass.

The final beer was Rogue's 8 Hop IPA.  Shared this with the wife last night while - you guessed it - making dinner.  Didn't take any notes, but it was delicious.  Not over-the-top hoppy.  The wife liked it, too, and she's not usually one to drink hoppy beers.  IPAs have changed significantly since I started brewing some 20 years ago.  Much lighter in body and more drinkable.  I've largely avoided them for the last decade or more, but I think I'll be coming back to them more often.

This swap was fun.  Thanks for the beers, Jim.  And thanks for the second effort on getting them delivered.
Glad you enjoyed

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk