Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brü's Views with Jon Wible | On The Hazy Beer Controversy  (Read 5921 times)

RPIScotty

Brü's Views with Jon Wible | On The Hazy Beer Controversy
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 10:54:23 am »
Agreed it's not brilliantly clear.

Bring dang close for a beer that color. The same can be said for the Chimay beers and the Westmalle Dubbel as well.

I used to expect commercial beers to be clear, but as my favourite beer is the pretty cloudy Rochefort 8, I'm not that bothered these days.

They are all extremely clear when the yeast is left in the bottle. If your drinking a cloudy Rochefort your doing something wrong!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Brü's Views with Jon Wible | On The Hazy Beer Controversy
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 11:13:13 am »
If you read the Bru's Views, John Wible states that in his case the haze is protein haze from adjuncts such as flaked oats and wheat, not yeast.

I thought Heady Topper was pretty tasty.  I didn't realize it was cloudy, but I was drinking it out of a can at a Phish show.  I haven't had the chance to try beers from any of these other breweries yet.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 03:14:44 pm »

The Rocheforts and Chimays I am getting are all somewhat murky.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »
I don't see it as cloudy at all. If you pour in all the yeast sediment in the bottom it might be - I decant that stuff. Agreed it's not brilliantly clear.
  Cloudy may be the wrong word, but I've always found it pretty murky in the glass.  I've just dug a bottle out, and it looks clear in the bottle though.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

RPIScotty

Brü's Views with Jon Wible | On The Hazy Beer Controversy
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 04:52:03 pm »
I don't see it as cloudy at all. If you pour in all the yeast sediment in the bottom it might be - I decant that stuff. Agreed it's not brilliantly clear.
  Cloudy may be the wrong word, but I've always found it pretty murky in the glass.  I've just dug a bottle out, and it looks clear in the bottle though.

Really? Murky means dirty looking. I can't even see cloudy as a proper adjective for either of those breweries beers. I had a Grande Premiere that was crystal clear in the glass.

To clarify here, I'm talking clear in the sense of zero particles, etc, not color. These beers are typically centrifuged. The only particles should be the bottling yeast. I agree that the yeast particles in the Rochefort can be pesky but what you guys are describing seems at odds with every Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle, Achel, etc that I've ever had.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 05:01:14 pm »
That's a Westmalle Dubbel on the right.  It isn't the greatest picture, but you can see that it's a bit hazy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 05:01:43 pm »
what you guys are describing seems at odds with every Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle, Achel, etc that I've ever had.

THIS^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 05:04:25 pm »
what you guys are describing seems at odds with every Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle, Achel, etc that I've ever had.

THIS^^^^

+2

With these beers I've actually started pouring the beer into a chilled wine decanter in order to prevent the dregs from reaching the glasses. If you start pouring and tip the bottle back to vertical to stop a pour, in my experience you will end up with dregs in the glass.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 06:28:17 pm »
I don't think you can separate the beer from its hype- whether it be good or bad.  It all colors our impressions of the drinking experience in one way or another.  Hill Farmstead probably does taste better to those that have driven many hours to get it than to those who don't have to.  And I think that's OK.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2016, 04:14:15 pm »

Really? Murky means dirty looking. I can't even see cloudy as a proper adjective for either of those breweries beers. I had a Grande Premiere that was crystal clear in the glass.

To clarify here, I'm talking clear in the sense of zero particles, etc, not color. These beers are typically centrifuged. The only particles should be the bottling yeast. I agree that the yeast particles in the Rochefort can be pesky but what you guys are describing seems at odds with every Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle, Achel, etc that I've ever had.
I agree that they don't have visible suspended particles, but you can't really see through a glass of it, which was what I meant.
Dom

Offline pmonti80

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2016, 05:52:41 am »
Small Off Topic:
Do you realize that in Belgium people usually drink and like the dregs of trappist beers? It's not like your tipical small local micro that has tons of horrible tasting dregs at the end of the bottle.

Try the following idea next time you drink Chimay or Rochefort: pour 3/4 of the beer and drink it normally. When finished pick the bottle swirl it a little, pour the rest in your glass and drink it. You may find that contrary to normal beers you like these dregs (I do).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2016, 09:36:28 am »
Small Off Topic:
Do you realize that in Belgium people usually drink and like the dregs of trappist beers? It's not like your tipical small local micro that has tons of horrible tasting dregs at the end of the bottle.

Try the following idea next time you drink Chimay or Rochefort: pour 3/4 of the beer and drink it normally. When finished pick the bottle swirl it a little, pour the rest in your glass and drink it. You may find that contrary to normal beers you like these dregs (I do).

Um, no.  I've never heard that people in Belgium regularly drink the dregs and frankly I don't care what they do.  It's nasty and I'm not gonna drink it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

RPIScotty

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2016, 09:40:16 am »
Small Off Topic:

Um, no.  I've never heard that people in Belgium regularly drink the dregs and frankly I don't care what they do.  It's nasty and I'm not gonna drink it.

^^^^^^^^
THIS.

I regularly leave the last full sip of a Rochefort in the glass for this reason. I don't want to drink bottle dregs if I can avoid it.

trentm

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2016, 10:31:20 am »
My gut is regularly bloated about 4x it's normal size due to drinking the dregs though "they" say that "they" are good for you.  The infamous "they" rears "their" ugly head again.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Dom