Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is Maris Otter worth it?  (Read 23397 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Is Maris Otter worth it?
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:16:07 am »
I just sunk 75 plus shipping into a big sack of Maris Otter.  I plan on keeping it for English bitters only and using domestic pale or pils for other stuff.  But here's my question...MO can run nearing twice as costly as domestic pale malts...I haven't done enough side by side experiments to really know, but is it really worth it?  Is there a significant difference between a bitter brewed with, say, 7 lbs of MO versus 7 lbs of Rahr two row?  I would anticipate that there would be, and I am a lover of good, subtle bitter, hence my actually buying it.  But we as homebrewers often do things out of superstition, too, so I could also see a possibility of the MO not having a big difference in beer flavor, even though I think it unlikely.

Any opinions on that? 

Offline valorian

• 1st Kit
    • Forest City Brewers
Re: Is Maris Otter worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:29:58 am »
One word......YES

MO malt is a great malt for all beer styles except Pilsner type styles. I use this for english style ales and american pale ales. MO gives a nice malty background to compliment the hops. After finding out how nice MO works for American Ales I stop using dimestic pale malt completely.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:46:39 am »
It's Biscuity!  :D

I don't know where you are, but $75 plus shipping seems a little high.  North Country Malt has Thomas Fawcett MO for about $40 uncrushed 50# sack.  I thnk shipping brings it up to around $60-$65. 

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:49:14 am »
My goto malt!!!

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:15:53 am »
North Country Malt, eh.

Will bear them in mind next time! 

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 10:43:10 am »
Just reiterating Maris Otter rocks, and I get mine from MidCountry Malt.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:53:15 am »
I think the price difference for me is around .92/lb for 2 row American and .98/lb for Marris Otter.  I don't bother with 2 row American pale malt any more.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline pdbreen

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:14:28 am »
Same answer as the others - only using Marris Otter.  Picked up 3 sacks yesterday from North Country Malt @ $40/sack.  Works out to about 0.73/lb.
Atomic Dog Brewery
On Deck: Imperial Stout, Nut Brown
P: American IPA, Irish Red, Barley Wine, Smoked Porter
S: British IPA, Hefe Weizen, Zinfandel
K: Apfelwein x 2, Graff, Phat Tyre, Lefse Blonde, Cream Ale
T: 3 Hearted, Dry Irish Stout

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:39:43 am »
I think the price difference for me is around .92/lb for 2 row American and .98/lb for Marris Otter.  I don't bother with 2 row American pale malt any more.

+1 - and this isn't one of those superstition things.  there is a significantly different type of maltiness with MO vs. 2 row pale.

I don't know where you are, but $75 plus shipping seems a little high.  North Country Malt has Thomas Fawcett MO for about $40 uncrushed 50# sack.  I thnk shipping brings it up to around $60-$65. 

+1 - I live in South Florida, perhaps as far away from any of the distribution sites as you can be (mine comes from Champaign, NY) and it costs $66-$70 depending on FedEx at the time to get a sack of MO.

IIRC, you live in Missouri, I would think that would be close enough to the Midwest branch to be at least as cheap.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jackfromjax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:42:23 am »
+10...There's no substitute.

Offline smurfe

• Cellarman
  • Brewing on the Bayou
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:06:19 pm »
Another vote. While both make good beer, I can definitely tell the difference and as soon as I can use up the 2 sacks of Rahr I have it will be 100% Marris Otter here as well.
I cook and I brew down on the bayou

Swampwater Brewing
Gonzales Louisiana

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:08:57 pm »
To me, it depends on what you're making.  For a lot of the styles I like top brew, I find MO to be "too much" flavorwise.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 12:14:36 pm »
Same answer as the others - only using Marris Otter.  Picked up 3 sacks yesterday from North Country Malt @ $40/sack.  Works out to about 0.73/lb.

You say you went over to pick up a few sacks?  Is it hard to get to from Burlington, VT?  I'm in Southern NH but go up to Burlington once in a while and wondered if it is worth the hike over.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 01:03:41 pm »
Glad to know I wasn't overestimating its value...as mentioned, I LOVE a good bitter and the day I can truly nail something like Marston's Pedigree will be a fine day indeed, so for that style it sounds like a good Maris Otter is in order.  I had a bulk bag of Optic malt and to be honest couldn't tell you how different it was from domestic two row, but it sounds like Maris Otter is a bit more dramatic in flavor.

I would also agree with Denny in that styles have a big part in it.  The bag of Rahr pils malt is going to likely give me pilsners that are more to style at least, and I bet most breweries in America that define the classic American Pale Ale are likely using domestic pale malts (plus specialties) for economy, although homebrewers can of course come up with very clever and often tasty inversions of traditional practice.  I remember reading about a stout recipe using all munich as a base malt.  That'd be interesting!   So, I'll still use and stock cheap domestic malt, but bitters seem to warrant something richer.

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 01:26:57 pm »
Nic- I think you're gonna be very happy w/ your MO purchase.  I love bitters and ESBs.  I've strayed from MO and tried Simpson's GP and I was disappointed.  I gotta brew me up an ESB this weekend now   ;D