Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan Experiment Writeup  (Read 11537 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Re: Brewtan Experiment Writeup
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 12:51:34 pm »
So where can I get some of this magic powder?  Wasn't there some place overseas that would ship to the USA?

Also probably a silly question but the comment about spent grain turning pink made me wonder: will it still be safe to feed the spent grain to my chickens?   ;)

Down under at https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/brewtan-b.  As for chicken feed, research food grade hydrolysable tannic acid.

Thank you!  Order placed and concerns alleviated.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:08 pm »
People using municipal source water and copper components are going to immediately see and taste a difference for sure. The impact of Brewtan B alone is going to decrease the farther away from those variables you get.
Any idea whether BTB is beneficial for iron and manganese as well? I would assume if it chelates copper, then it should handle most heavy metal ions, but chelating agents can be wierd about that sometimes.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 01:12:01 pm »
So where can I get some of this magic powder?  Wasn't there some place overseas that would ship to the USA?

Also probably a silly question but the comment about spent grain turning pink made me wonder: will it still be safe to feed the spent grain to my chickens?   ;)

I feed it to my chickens no problem.

The pink hue has been reported by a few people out of the dozens I know who have tried it.  I've used it for maybe 15 batches now and it happened once.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 01:12:46 pm »
People using municipal source water and copper components are going to immediately see and taste a difference for sure. The impact of Brewtan B alone is going to decrease the farther away from those variables you get.
Any idea whether BTB is beneficial for iron and manganese as well? I would assume if it chelates copper, then it should handle most heavy metal ions, but chelating agents can be wierd about that sometimes.

I would recommend an email to Joe Formanek.  He probably knows better than anyone here.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

MaltMaker

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 01:54:53 pm »
Why not just use tannin powder?  What additional chemicals does this contain?

http://bsghandcraft.com/index.php/chemicals-parent/additives/tannin-powder-1lb.html

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 01:55:39 pm »

http://bsghandcraft.com/index.php/chemicals-parent/additives/tannin-powder-1lb.html

Don't believe it's the same thing is it?

www.dennybrew.com

MaltMaker

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 02:02:03 pm »
Both are gallotannins, I guess the question is are both (HMW) high molecular weight gallotannins (as opposed to LMW, low molecular weight)?  And of course what else, if anything, is in the Brewtan-B.

Haven't tested this myself but I'd think they'd both be derived from similar food-grade tannic materials.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 02:04:46 pm »
Both are gallotannins, I guess the question is are both (HMW) high molecular weight gallotannins (as opposed to LMW, low molecular weight)?  And of course what else, if anything, is in the Brewtan-B.

Haven't tested this myself but I'd think they'd both be derived from similar food-grade tannic materials.

Personally, I'd rather be certain.  Remember, Ajinomoto makes 3 different Brewtan products, so not all gallotanins are created equal.  If I was to guess, I'd say that stuff is for winemaking.

www.dennybrew.com

MaltMaker

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 02:07:58 pm »
Personally, I'd rather be certain.  Remember, Ajinomoto makes 3 different Brewtan products, so not all gallotanins are created equal.  If I was to guess, I'd say that stuff is for winemaking.

Agreed, but what's the difference?  Has anyone ever tested "wine tannins" in a beer mash?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 02:12:35 pm »

Agreed, but what's the difference?  Has anyone ever tested "wine tannins" in a beer mash?

What's the difference is exactly the question.  I don't want to assume they're the same.  If someone else wants to, that's their decision.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 02:31:21 pm »

tannic compounds are used in wine making, and their makeup can vary substantially. I would be wary of putting that stuff in my beer without knowing exactly what it was.

MaltMaker

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 02:40:21 pm »
tannic compounds are used in wine making, and their makeup can vary substantially. I would be wary of putting that stuff in my beer without knowing exactly what it was.

I wouldn't be afraid to try it, just not sure how you'd test for residuals in the final product.  Food grade tannin is food grade tannin, worst case you'd probably get a mouth full of astrigency.

Big Monk

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 02:50:05 pm »
Brewtan-B, Antioxin SBT, etc. are all likely using the same gallotannins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 03:52:08 pm »

I wouldn't be afraid to try it, just not sure how you'd test for residuals in the final product.  Food grade tannin is food grade tannin, worst case you'd probably get a mouth full of astrigency.

personal experience I've seen some pretty harsh tasting oak compounds and other things added to wine tannins that would probably taste pretty nasty in beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »

personal experience I've seen some pretty harsh tasting oak compounds and other things added to wine tannins that would probably taste pretty nasty in beer.

Yep.  I won't try to talk anybody out of trying it, but I'm not gonna!  For whatever it might be worth, the tannin pictured in that link looked considerably darker than Brewtan.  But who knows how accurate that is.

www.dennybrew.com