Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mangrove Jacks French Saison strain  (Read 12983 times)

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Mangrove Jacks French Saison strain
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:04:16 am »
Has anyone used it?  How does it compare to Belle Saison or WY3711?

I'm planning on making Drew's Springtime in Amarillo saison, and whilst I can source the the MJ yeast at my LHBS, I'd have to order online for the WY3711.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Mangrove Jacks French Saison strain
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:10:43 pm »

I'm planning on making Drew's Springtime in Amarillo saison, and whilst I can source the the MJ yeast at my LHBS, I'd have to order online for the WY3711.
I'd say "go for it".  I haven't tried that one (maybe soon though) but I've had very good results with several MJ yeasts. 
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 02:29:43 am »
I think you're right.  It'll save me having to pay postage, and I'll then know whether the yeast is something I'd like to use regularly.
Dom

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:08:19 am »
Add feedback on your experience with it if you don't mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:21:05 am »
Add feedback on your experience with it if you don't mind.

Yes, please. I know others prefer more traditional saison strains, but 3711/Belle is one of my personal favorites.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:00:35 am »
I certainly will.  I've mostly used WLP565 for saisons, but find it better suited for traditionally hopped saisons, rather than new world hops.  Got to get my kegerator built first, and then it's getting brewed.
Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 04:19:00 am »
Brewed this on Saturday, as my keg was empty (kegerator still not built), using the MJ yeast, and low colour Maris Otter rather than pilsner.  Rehydrated as per MJ instructions, took a while (16hrs or so) to see the yeast take off (not used dry yeast for ages, usually pitch a SNS starter).  Will provide more feedback when I start taking gravity samples.
Dom

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 08:36:48 am »

I just brewed a saison with that about three weeks ago, pitching two packets into a five gallon batch and fermenting at 80 degrees. Grain bill was 86% pilsner, 7% Munich, 7% white wheat, and a touch of Carafa Special III, with a single infusion rest of 149 degrees with batch sparge.

Fermentation was fast, vigorous, and otherwise uneventful. It attenuated out as far as predicted by my software and given my grain bill and mash parameters. I kegged the beer after 8 days, and have been drinking it for a few days now. In my first impressions, the beer has a nice fruity flavor and aroma, with a pleasant tartness alongside.

I brewed with WLP565 (White Labs Belgian Saison I) previously; my recollection is that it had more of the spicy and fewer of the fruit notes as compared to the MJ strain. That said, I don't know how MJ would behave differently at a lower temperature (in the mid-70's, say, rather than the lower 80's). Anyone have experience with different fermentation temperatures on that?

Details on the recipe are here: https://andybrews.com/2017/05/12/thumbspike-saison-2-0/

and preliminary impressions are here: https://andybrews.com/2017/05/28/big-batch-update/
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 09:07:34 am »

I just brewed a saison with that about three weeks ago, pitching two packets into a five gallon batch and fermenting at 80 degrees. Grain bill was 86% pilsner, 7% Munich, 7% white wheat, and a touch of Carafa Special III, with a single infusion rest of 149 degrees with batch sparge.

Fermentation was fast, vigorous, and otherwise uneventful. It attenuated out as far as predicted by my software and given my grain bill and mash parameters. I kegged the beer after 8 days, and have been drinking it for a few days now. In my first impressions, the beer has a nice fruity flavor and aroma, with a pleasant tartness alongside.

I brewed with WLP565 (White Labs Belgian Saison I) previously; my recollection is that it had more of the spicy and fewer of the fruit notes as compared to the MJ strain. That said, I don't know how MJ would behave differently at a lower temperature (in the mid-70's, say, rather than the lower 80's). Anyone have experience with different fermentation temperatures on that?

Details on the recipe are here: https://andybrews.com/2017/05/12/thumbspike-saison-2-0/

and preliminary impressions are here: https://andybrews.com/2017/05/28/big-batch-update/
Fruity, tart, less spicy... Sounds a whole lot like 3711 and Belle to me

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 10:41:47 am »
whats the body and mouthfeel like? 3711 and Belle make the beer feel to gelatinous for my tastes.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 09:45:10 pm »
whats the body and mouthfeel like? 3711 and Belle make the beer feel to gelatinous for my tastes.

For mine, it's fairly dry, although I think the fruitiness definitely gives the perception of a "rounder" mouthfeel than I would necessarily expect based on attenuation alone (92%, from 1.055 down to 1.004). I can't say I would describe it as gelatinous, though.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 03:35:38 am »

Hi Andy - what temperature did you ferment at?  I've had it at 18c for the first 3 days, and have lifted it to 20c, planning on gradually lifting it to about 23c to finish off.
Dom

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 08:50:16 pm »
Hi Andy - what temperature did you ferment at?  I've had it at 18c for the first 3 days, and have lifted it to 20c, planning on gradually lifting it to about 23c to finish off.

I fermented pretty hot...26c. Would love to compare notes with how your lower temp turns out!

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 07:23:59 am »
Took my first gravity reading this morning - 1.008 after 8 days, down from 1.062 at pitching, currently sitting at 23c.  Plan on leaving it at 23c until Thursday, and then crash to 3c and keg on Saturday.  This is of course dependent on the gravity stabilising (will take readings on Tuesday and Thursday).
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 08:34:19 am »
Took my first gravity reading this morning - 1.008 after 8 days, down from 1.062 at pitching, currently sitting at 23c.  Plan on leaving it at 23c until Thursday, and then crash to 3c and keg on Saturday.  This is of course dependent on the gravity stabilising (will take readings on Tuesday and Thursday).

FWIW Saison strains (and Belgians in general) get most of their attenuation done fairly quickly, but the yeast can be slow to eat the last few points. Personally. I never package a saison before 3 weeks. If this strain really is a 3711 type strain, it could easily end up 1.004-1.002 (or even less).
Jon H.