Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Professional Basement Brewery  (Read 18386 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: My Professional Basement Brewery
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 09:56:06 pm »
Rough day at work.  Just back again to look at the pics.  Yep, still awesome. 

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 06:06:46 pm »
Really cool.  I’ll add it to my “when I win the lottery” list. 

Big Monk

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 05:27:31 am »

You know, a lot of people say this, but pound for pound (I was fortunate enough to be "on hand" for much of the design and procurement so I got to be a fly on the wall) I would bet my bottom dollar that Bryan didn't spend much more than most people do on a 3 vessel build.

People make the false assumption that complexity = large capital expenditure. That's just not the case. Granted, the Stout vessels might be a bit more expensive than others but the automation and control isn't as expensive as you'd think.

Now the time to build...That's a whole other story that I also got to see as it progressed. I envy the completed product but not the hours and hours and hours that went into it!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 07:45:53 am »
Very nice looking brewery, Bryan!  I too am a gadget guy and am always thinking of improvements for my brewery, but I don't have that kind of energy to take on what you have done.  Congrats!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 08:14:03 am »
I have a deep appreciation for this post! If the wife starts raising an eyebrow because I'm thinking about getting a new tackle box, or a new fishing rod, or a new boat... I can just show her this brewery and say. "Wow babe, wouldn't THIS be neat?"

Big Monk

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2018, 09:17:16 am »
I have a deep appreciation for this post! If the wife starts raising an eyebrow because I'm thinking about getting a new tackle box, or a new fishing rod, or a new boat... I can just show her this brewery and say. "Wow babe, wouldn't THIS be neat?"

"This just in: Washington native and avid homebrewer found dead this morning. Foul play suspected. Wife is currently a suspect. Tonight on the 6 o'clock news..."

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2018, 10:41:21 am »

You know, a lot of people say this, but pound for pound (I was fortunate enough to be "on hand" for much of the design and procurement so I got to be a fly on the wall) I would bet my bottom dollar that Bryan didn't spend much more than most people do on a 3 vessel build.

People make the false assumption that complexity = large capital expenditure. That's just not the case. Granted, the Stout vessels might be a bit more expensive than others but the automation and control isn't as expensive as you'd think.

Now the time to build...That's a whole other story that I also got to see as it progressed. I envy the completed product but not the hours and hours and hours that went into it!

I can see that. 

With my current schedule I'd likely need a line in the Will to say something like "To my children, I leave the automated brewery.  Whichever of you can find the 500 hours left to build it, gets it."
 ;D 8)

Still pretty though. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2018, 12:07:06 pm »
Wow, that system looks awesome Bryan! Great work!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »

"This just in: Washington native and avid homebrewer found dead this morning. Foul play suspected. Wife is currently a suspect. Tonight on the 6 o'clock news..."
Too funny

Except she's smart enough to never be a suspect lol

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 04:14:10 pm »
I am late to this party, but damn, that is some impressive work, Bryan! 

I don't think I have the aptitude to set something up with that level of detail, but I have to say, I went whole hog with Low Ox right after the German Brewing group's article a couple (3?) years back and went electric at the same time.  My set up is not to Bryan's level by any means, but with a Stout 18 gallon BIAB set up (basket that I line with a Brew Bag), gasketed mash cap lid (made from a pizza pan) that is fitted with a submerged Locline halo and a 9 gallon Stout HERMS/HLT tun with stainless coil (that was available pre-LowOx days and is still sold by them, I think) and the simple single control EBC 130 Wort Hog from High Gravity, I have made the best beer in my life.  Never looked back.  I pre-boil for driving off the O2 and use the HERMS coil to chill the boiled strike water back to mash temp level and manually switch the electric over to the HERMS element to cover step mashes.  It isn't automated by any stretch (compare to Bryan's system or even a Grainfather), but it works pretty well.

If I could wrap my head around the details in Bryan's system, I would be considering a run at (towards?) that one, for sure.  My next upgrade is going to be butterfly valves, though.  I like the ease of sanitizing them and I am tired of breaking down the ball valves every couple months.

Again, you don't have to go "whole hog" to get much of the benefits of a system like this.  But I am very impressed, indeed at Bryan's initiative.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 07:08:46 am »
... you don't have to go "whole hog" to get much of the benefits of a system like this.  But I am very impressed, indeed at Bryan's initiative.

I agree. Beautiful system. ...and well designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 07:15:10 am »
Thanks all..
Update for those who care.

Still tweaking and adding stuff. Hardware wise only 3 things are left.. On the list is Hop additions, grain delivery, and grain storage. I plan on working on these things in that order.

Whats new?

Added pressure sensors to the brewing vessels to monitor pressure for purging and vac.
Added N2 tank solenoid
Added HLT Boil valve
Added BK  Boil valve
Added Mash Bypass valve
Added Fermenter volume sensors (x4) (in anticipation for auto fermenter transfers)
Added more spunding setups (x4)
Added co2 tank monitoring with high pressure sensors, created a dynamic script showing % left (based on temp and pressure), and alarm notifications for leaks and low tanks (x3)
Closed up the Panel
Revised some scripts
Modified my brew buckets for larger valves (x2) (in anticipation for auto fermenter transfers)
I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

Panel Completed:

Revised Brewing Interface:

Revised Fermentation interface, Tank volumes in top right

Fermenter Modification

Some beers are finally starting to fill the pipeline. They are not quite ready, but close enough to start drinking.
Festbier:
72% Barke pils
20% Barke vienna
8% carahell
24ibu

Marzen:
80% Barke Munich
10% Barke Pils
5% carared
5% caraaroma
2oz sinamar (for color)
24ibu

Keller Pils
80% Barke Pils
20% light Munich
45ibu

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 09:59:47 am »
Thanks all..
Update for those who care.

Still tweaking and adding stuff. Hardware wise only 3 things are left.. On the list is Hop additions, grain delivery, and grain storage. I plan on working on these things in that order.

Whats new?

Added pressure sensors to the brewing vessels to monitor pressure for purging and vac.
Added N2 tank solenoid
Added HLT Boil valve
Added BK  Boil valve
Added Mash Bypass valve
Added Fermenter volume sensors (x4) (in anticipation for auto fermenter transfers)
Added more spunding setups (x4)
Added co2 tank monitoring with high pressure sensors, created a dynamic script showing % left (based on temp and pressure), and alarm notifications for leaks and low tanks (x3)
Closed up the Panel
Revised some scripts
Modified my brew buckets for larger valves (x2) (in anticipation for auto fermenter transfers)
I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

Panel Completed:

Revised Brewing Interface:

Revised Fermentation interface, Tank volumes in top right

Fermenter Modification

Some beers are finally starting to fill the pipeline. They are not quite ready, but close enough to start drinking.
Festbier:
72% Barke pils
20% Barke vienna
8% carahell
24ibu

Marzen:
80% Barke Munich
10% Barke Pils
5% carared
5% caraaroma
2oz sinamar (for color)
24ibu

Keller Pils
80% Barke Pils
20% light Munich
45ibu

That HEAD THOUGH!!! Holy Head batman!  Looks amazing!  I'm super jealous.  I'm going to school for Mechanical Engineering and thought my Capstone Project might be something similar to this.  Full automation and super shiny!  I love it man!  I want one!  Good job!
Keep It Simple, Stupid!

narvin

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2018, 10:24:30 pm »
So any suggestions on where to get parts?  In my limited experience sensors, solenoids, valves, and generally anything shiny or even plastic costs an arm and a leg when buying a few at a time.

The Beerery

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2018, 06:27:24 am »
So any suggestions on where to get parts?  In my limited experience sensors, solenoids, valves, and generally anything shiny or even plastic costs an arm and a leg when buying a few at a time.

All of mine are from surplus industrial equipment auctions, ebay, and I farmed out to China for a lot of manufacturing.