Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Professional Basement Brewery  (Read 18388 times)

The Beerery

Re: My Professional Basement Brewery
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2019, 07:58:36 am »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:13:39 am by The Beerery »

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 07:29:02 am »
What role do the BIAB hooks have for you?

I mash with a BIAB bag. I like the way it works so I get zero particulate coming though the pipes. I custom made my bag to have a finer mesh so I get some filtering as well. It also makes cleaning a breeze. Lift out bag and CIP takes over. No dumping, scooping, etc.

I'm not sure how I missed this.  I remember when you were talking about working with Stout.  I'm always blown away with people and their abilities.  I too agree on the BIAB bag.  I had one custom made for my MT and love it.  The filtering is fantastic, but second to the ease of cleaning up.  Until you talked about it, I had never thought about the other uses.  Really nice work Bryan!  Back to my manual ball valve controls.  :-\
Jeff B

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2021, 11:45:38 am »

lol the text on the window (dude, please just take some german lessons) and just the whole idea. i dont want to troll here, but can you imagine the reaction to someone in his basement (yes this is a basement in a house lol) touching something or playing with some object in this room. "what does this thingy do?"

i wonder if this "brewery" is capable of making an english bitter or will he not allow that?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2021, 01:43:17 pm »
I love German recipes. Three main ingredients (Pils, Munich, Vienna) in different proportions to create completely different beers.

Some beers are finally starting to fill the pipeline. They are not quite ready, but close enough to start drinking.
Festbier:
72% Barke pils
20% Barke vienna
8% carahell
24ibu

Marzen:
80% Barke Munich
10% Barke Pils
5% carared
5% caraaroma
2oz sinamar (for color)
24ibu

Keller Pils
80% Barke Pils
20% light Munich
45ibu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2021, 02:02:48 pm »
i dont want to troll here, but
It's pretty easy NOT to troll.  And yet...

To each their own- we all brew, build, design for different reasons.  No reason to poo poo someone who puts up some photos that they are proud of.  Its all good.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2021, 03:32:43 pm »
i dont want to troll here, but
It's pretty easy NOT to troll.  And yet...

To each their own- we all brew, build, design for different reasons.  No reason to poo poo someone who puts up some photos that they are proud of.  Its all good.

the key thing i want to point out is that the likely very expensive customized window has grammatically incorrect german on it. and he has vids of him doing the lederhosen and sorta cringey stereotype stuff. idk just kinda funny to me.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2021, 09:55:57 pm »
the key thing i want to point out is that the likely very expensive customized window has grammatically incorrect german on it. and he has vids of him doing the lederhosen and sorta cringey stereotype stuff. idk just kinda funny to me.

Look past the window at that shiny stainless thing there.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2021, 10:24:10 pm »

Look past the window at that shiny stainless thing there.
The table?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2021, 11:02:51 pm »
I wouldn't blame anyone who mistook that for a brewery but it's actually a brewing science laboratory. That piece of equipment can measure and record in real time all the parameters of a brewday. Temperature, pressure, flow, gravity, pH, wort color, dissolved oxygen etc. It's function is not just to produce beer but more importantly data. Data one can look back though in order to answer a lot of questions and solve problems brewers struggle to figure out and waste a lot of time on. For instance it can tell the pressure differential between the top of the mash and the bottom in order to look at the effects of different crushes on the flow through the column. It has variable speed pumps that can try different flows at different rest temps looking for best efficiency or quality on the wort. It doses acid into the mash as needed and can change on the fly. It can tell you what flow is best for the underlet and how temperature of the strike water effects that. It tracks the dissolved oxygen at multiple points and can determine antioxidant consumption during the mash program. How small changes in mash pH can effect the enzymes and efficiency. What point in the process does different pH make a difference. What is the best temperature step profile to maximize the malt enzymes and foam proteins. And many other interesting details like how much O2 is picked up by the wort while raising temperature to boil. How does heat stress effect the wort color and how much power does it actually take to actually generate a decent boil and how that effects heat stress. How inline oxygenation compared to direct injection and how it effects the final Do number. How fast yeast scavenge that oxygen during the lag phase. How fast the pH drops, what is the timing between the two. And so many more things I can't even remember at the moment.

But most importantly, at least to me, unlike commercial breweries who keep this kind of information to themselves for any business advantage, this brewery's owner shares all of this data and experience. It has taught me a wealth of things I would not have otherwise known about the process of brewing.

Remember sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2021, 07:13:42 am »
I wouldn't blame anyone who mistook that for a brewery but it's actually a brewing science laboratory. That piece of equipment can measure and record in real time all the parameters of a brewday. Temperature, pressure, flow, gravity, pH, wort color, dissolved oxygen etc. It's function is not just to produce beer but more importantly data. Data one can look back though in order to answer a lot of questions and solve problems brewers struggle to figure out and waste a lot of time on. For instance it can tell the pressure differential between the top of the mash and the bottom in order to look at the effects of different crushes on the flow through the column. It has variable speed pumps that can try different flows at different rest temps looking for best efficiency or quality on the wort. It doses acid into the mash as needed and can change on the fly. It can tell you what flow is best for the underlet and how temperature of the strike water effects that. It tracks the dissolved oxygen at multiple points and can determine antioxidant consumption during the mash program. How small changes in mash pH can effect the enzymes and efficiency. What point in the process does different pH make a difference. What is the best temperature step profile to maximize the malt enzymes and foam proteins. And many other interesting details like how much O2 is picked up by the wort while raising temperature to boil. How does heat stress effect the wort color and how much power does it actually take to actually generate a decent boil and how that effects heat stress. How inline oxygenation compared to direct injection and how it effects the final Do number. How fast yeast scavenge that oxygen during the lag phase. How fast the pH drops, what is the timing between the two. And so many more things I can't even remember at the moment.

But most importantly, at least to me, unlike commercial breweries who keep this kind of information to themselves for any business advantage, this brewery's owner shares all of this data and experience. It has taught me a wealth of things I would not have otherwise known about the process of brewing.

Remember sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

that is true. really valid points. i do imagine he makes excellent specialized beer, but it is a funny example of extreme obsession for me. though i imagine a lot of people here have an obsession to varying degrees.

thats why i like this place, a lot of extremely knowledgeable people.

Sorry Beerery!

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2021, 10:00:48 am »
I said it earlier and Ill say it again! THAT IS THE BADDEST BAD ASS HOME BREW SET UP I HAVE EVER LAID MY JEALOUS EYES ON! We all have our degree of obsession with our own hobbies and this guy is at the apex of homebrewing systems, ever!!

Good for you Sir!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2021, 10:06:11 am »
I said it earlier and Ill say it again! THAT IS THE BADDEST BAD ASS HOME BREW SET UP I HAVE EVER LAID MY JEALOUS EYES ON! We all have our degree of obsession with our own hobbies and this guy is at the apex of homebrewing systems, ever!!

Good for you Sir!

See, I'd have to disagree with that.  I don't see bigger, more complex systems as necessarily better.  If others do,  no problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2021, 10:45:47 am »

Good for you Sir!

See, I'd have to disagree with that.  I don't see bigger, more complex systems as necessarily better.  If others do,  no problem.
From what Bilsch says above, it's less about homebrew and more about science and experimentation.  it's fancier than even some of the most sophisticated breweries and pretty cool that he can afford the time and money for such a project.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2021, 11:13:20 am »

Good for you Sir!

To be fair, I never said that it made a better product. The subjective quality end product is from the brewer not necessarily the brewery. I think we know a lot of guys who made award winning beers from a gott cooler and a keggle, yourself included. Just saying.

Cheers!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2021, 11:19:00 am »

Good for you Sir!

To be fair, I never said that it made a better product. The subjective quality end product is from the brewer not necessarily the brewery. I think we know a lot of guys who made award winning beers from a gott cooler and a keggle, yourself included. Just saying.

Cheers!!

No problem...I wasn't referring to the end product.  For me, that's a secondary goal.  But we all have our own reasons.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell