Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011 Zymurgy topics  (Read 21575 times)

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
Re: 2011 Zymurgy topics
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »
I read in another mag about brewing with bacon, so I dont think that ever needs to be done again :D I like the ideas about base malts. is it time for a new hop guide, now that several kinds are available that were not beafor. I also seem to love to read about the cool new ideas and gadgets home brewers are comming up with.

narvin

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 08:51:06 pm »
I really like information about how different commercial breweries approach a style.  Homebrew recipes are nice, but reading about the Trappists in Belgium or Vinny Cilurzo make a beer that defines the style is fascinating.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 09:25:12 pm »
I always liked history.  You could have a feature every month, ancient history, early European, early American,  life before/during prohibition, the early AHA days & brewing w/Pabst malt, Fritz Maytag & Anchor ...
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 11:30:27 pm »
how about something like "How to take your homebrew club/org from inception to BJCP competition?"
Use these paths to organize your club.
Use these paths to fund your competition
What to do for accomodations
etc etc
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 04:04:46 am »
I really like information about how different commercial breweries approach a style.  Homebrew recipes are nice, but reading about the Trappists in Belgium or Vinny Cilurzo make a beer that defines the style is fascinating.

I'll second this suggestion. 

I'm also very interested in learning about tips, techniques and recipes from commercial breweries.
Ron Price

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:01 am »
I'd like them to do a piece about equipment upgrades that homebrewers can make. Maybe something that gives you an idea of what equipment/modifications will give you the most bang for your buck.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 01:56:20 pm »
An article showing proof that wort production has more of an effect on attenuation than the yeast used.

Maybe if I'm not so lazy I'll write it up.

+1 on this one... aside from Kai's work, I haven't really seen any good numbers on estimating attenuation changes with mash temp changes.

I'd also like to see more on: sour/wild brewing (maybe tips from pros), blending styles, and using wine/mead ingredients in beer(which grapes/honey with which style, when to add grape juice in the process, any additional fermentation considerations, hopping levels, etc.)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »
P.S.

Will you post a list of popular topics from the forum and the AHA staff that may need authors?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 04:56:01 am »
The swimsuit edition should not have Denny Conn in a speedo on the cover. ;D
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 07:35:43 am »
Lagers and lager production would be my choice.  Especially how to make a really good N. German Pilsner.

Techniques that can enhance the brewing procedure are always good.  Gadgets too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 08:01:12 am »
An article showing proof that wort production has more of an effect on attenuation than the yeast used.

Maybe if I'm not so lazy I'll write it up.

+1 on this one... aside from Kai's work, I haven't really seen any good numbers on estimating attenuation changes with mash temp changes.

What I have done and plan to do with some future batches is split the wort into two fermenters and use different yeasts.

I've already done this with Wyeast 1968 and US-05
In a 1.050 Porter they both finished at the same FG
Next is up is probably a Pale Ale, one with 1762 and the other using either US-05 or maybe even 1968 again
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:11 am »
It may be interesting to have an article describing doctoring beers for off-flavor demos.  I know it's on the bjcp site, but a whole lot of non-judges out there would probably like to learn where inappropriate flavors come from.

Pairing beer with food is also popular.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:36 am »
I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forum, but Cap's food posts (and pics) are awesome.  The number of pages associated with topics like "ethnic and regional cooking" lead me to believe that a regular food column in Zymurgy with a beer pairing suggested by experts would be a huge hit. 

Perhaps even a "gourmet couples" monthly beer dinner recipe section where every month is a different theme and would include 4-6 different recipes (appetizers, main courses, side dishes, desserts).  That way, for those who wanted to do this, the recipes could be divided up between 4-6 couples and the dinner party would rotate each month to another couple's home.  Equally important would be commercial beer pairings and recommended homebrew pairings.  If space were a premium in the magazine, just offer a teaser column with website link for the actual recipes for those who are interested.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:07 pm »
I second the history suggestion. Going back in time and researching old recipes/styles could really spark some ideas for bringing them back. I know personally I'm looking to do a Ballentine clone at some point. I would also like to see less repeated subjects. There seems to be something about repeating subjects far to often...

Also maybe a series on ideas/suggestions/what it takes to open a brewpub/microbrew?

I'm a long time subscriber and love the mag but it needs some 'freshness' added to it.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 07:55:59 pm »
I'd like to see some back to basics articles.  I have trouble talking new members into joining AHA.  They often borrow old copies, and say "no thanks."  I think we've become too technical and obscure, probably because so many of our older members have become very good, experienced brewers. 

If there was an occasional "how to.... ," maybe they'd be more interested.  JMHO
Dave King, President of BIER