Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011 Zymurgy topics  (Read 21576 times)

Offline jill

• Cellarman
2011 Zymurgy topics
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:04:23 am »
Hi all,

I'm currently in the planning process for 2011 issues of Zymurgy. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see in the way of themes or articles? Particular beer styles? Brewing techniques? Equipment? Brewing ingredients? Please post your ideas here.

Thanks!
Jill Redding
Editor-in-Chief, Zymurgy

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 2011 Zymurgy topics
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:10:52 am »
I'd like to see more side by side comparisons of brewing techniques and the effects they have on the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:21:00 am »
I'd like to see more articles by that guy who writes about all the crazy recipes he can think of. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:38:42 am »
One topic I would like to see covered is recipe formulation with respect to Malt.  

Not just the standard, "use Munich to get bread crust flavor, pilsner to get the continental malt flavor, English two row for more biscuit flavor..." etc.  What the malts are supposed to provide is widely available already just by reading maltser's data sheets.

Instead, what I am looking for is information more to do with getting malt (and even hops) to show up in the beginning, middle, and finish of a beer.  A lot of beers I have formulated have a good parts, but could use some tweaking to enhance the "entire drinking journey".  For instance, my Vienna has great malt nose, beginning and finish have lots of beady malt notes, but it is "flat" in the middle. What techniques would change this?  If I want an American Brown with an up front hop presence, but a more restrained hop finish with substantial nutty/chocolaty malt flavors, how do I keep the malt to the end and mute the hop finish?  

There appear to be multiple variables associated with the topic, including water formulation, malt variety/maltster and mashing temperatures/schedules.  

While there has been a lot of attention given to hops in the past 5 years, and there is a lot of information available on Hops, there has not been the same attention given to Malt. With the huge variety of malts now available to homebrewers that were not in past years, I think there is a largely untapped opportunity to cover malts more in-depth and have a better understanding of where/how they can be used to manipulate the flavor experience.

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:40:43 am »
I'd like to see more articles by that guy who writes about all the crazy recipes he can think of. :)

I've had enough of that guy...... ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:36:24 pm »
I'd like to see some articles on crafting big beers like American Barleywine and other Strong Ales.
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:24 pm »
hmmmmm,

nothing under 1.100 right?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline marty

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:47:14 pm »
I really liked that article on the special Hefe mashing technique, so anything like that would be interesting (doing this in the mash, does this to the wort, and that affects the yeast like this)

the NHC winner's recipes issue is my favorite every year
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:50:04 pm by marty »

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:05:23 pm »
An article showing proof that wort production has more of an effect on attenuation than the yeast used.

Maybe if I'm not so lazy I'll write it up.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 07:53:31 pm »
hmmmmm,

nothing under 1.100 right?

Right on the mark Fred!  ;)
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 07:58:45 pm »
I was thinking of a NHC presentation with several samples towards that end,

No "session" beers, right ;)
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline mindphlux

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 09:06:20 pm »
I liked some of the technical articles, like the one on sanitizing. I think anything about improving process is good, like batch vs fly sparge, maybe different types of mash tun construction, etc. cool rigs and bringing professional class brewing to an affordable/attainable home level is good stuff too. like, I am (like every other starry eyed homebrewer) plotting and planning to build an electric RIMS system, so hearing about difficulties and success stories might be neat for example?

I also love to see commercial recipes, the pliny the elder one was awesome. homebrew recipies I can find on the internet, but recipes from commercial brewers - that's something I can't just google.

Offline piszkiewiczp

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 09:54:46 pm »
Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.

Water chemistry and adjustments to city water supplies for brewing.

Offline robbievonb

• 1st Kit
  • San Marcos, CA
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 12:50:31 pm »
I agree with Denny.  Maybe make multiple batches of the same basic recipe but change mash temp, fermentation temp, water profile, batch size, forced carbonation vs, bottle conditioning etc...

Offline boyle_brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 03:13:05 pm »
I'd like to see an article comparing the different types of base malts (Maris Otter, American 2-row, Pale ale, Belgian Pilsner, German Pilsner, Vienna, Munich, etc.)  I'm interested in the type of flavor that each base malt adds to a beer.