Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586595 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #1935 on: August 06, 2016, 02:33:29 pm »
I'm gonna keep going... helles in the backyard this afternoon:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:31:19 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1936 on: August 06, 2016, 04:00:38 pm »
Pour one for me, I'ma comin' over!

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1937 on: August 08, 2016, 06:19:02 pm »

SMaSH Rahr 2-row 8% home made amber candy and 28IBUs from Perle.  My wife says this is the best beer she has ever tasted from anyone anywhere.  Which is awesome that she likes it, we will see how it goes over at my next bottle share.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #1938 on: August 13, 2016, 10:27:12 pm »

So I got impatient again, and cracked open a bottle of the Czech Pale Lager I brewed, after only a week in the bottle.  I used the Brulosophy quick lager method on this, and followed it as closely as possible.  It is carbing nicely, and does need some more time to finish, and then I am going to put the cases in the chest freezer for a few weeks.  That being said, this is an AWESOME beer, crystal clear at this point.  Great malt flavors from the Floor Malted Pilsner, Munich an Vienna, as well as good flavor and aroma from the Saaz.  In my opinion (as someone new to brewing, and also not one who drinks a lot of Lagers), it is a perfectly balanced beer, and probably my best one yet.  I think a beer like this could come close to converting me from drinking mostly IPA, Hefe and Pale Ales.

I am entering this one in a competition in October, and as good as it tastes now, I can only imagine what it will be like in a couple of months.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1939 on: August 14, 2016, 07:07:32 am »
Looks and sounds like a good one!

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1940 on: August 14, 2016, 10:58:40 am »
Looks and sounds like a good one!

If it gets better than it is already, I'll be happier than a pig in ****.  I had originally planned to re-brew my Blood Orange Hefeweizen today, but went with another Lager instead (Marzen).  Hefe will have to wait until next brew day.  I think I may be defecting from the all Ale camp I have been in.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #1941 on: August 14, 2016, 07:01:21 pm »

SMaSH Rahr 2-row 8% home made amber candy and 28IBUs from Perle.  My wife says this is the best beer she has ever tasted from anyone anywhere.  Which is awesome that she likes it, we will see how it goes over at my next bottle share.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

There ya go. Keep that one on tap to keep the lady happy and you're all set!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1942 on: August 14, 2016, 09:27:57 pm »
I think I may be defecting from the all Ale camp I have been in.
Welcome to the dark side ;)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #1943 on: August 15, 2016, 06:57:47 am »

So I got impatient again, and cracked open a bottle of the Czech Pale Lager I brewed, after only a week in the bottle.  I used the Brulosophy quick lager method on this, and followed it as closely as possible.  It is carbing nicely, and does need some more time to finish, and then I am going to put the cases in the chest freezer for a few weeks.  That being said, this is an AWESOME beer, crystal clear at this point.  Great malt flavors from the Floor Malted Pilsner, Munich an Vienna, as well as good flavor and aroma from the Saaz.  In my opinion (as someone new to brewing, and also not one who drinks a lot of Lagers), it is a perfectly balanced beer, and probably my best one yet.  I think a beer like this could come close to converting me from drinking mostly IPA, Hefe and Pale Ales.

I am entering this one in a competition in October, and as good as it tastes now, I can only imagine what it will be like in a couple of months.
Erik:  That looks very nice and the fact that it's that clear this soon sounds like your process was solid.  Is there a link to the recipe or the schedule you used?
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1944 on: August 15, 2016, 07:46:40 am »

Erik:  That looks very nice and the fact that it's that clear this soon sounds like your process was solid.  Is there a link to the recipe or the schedule you used?
When I get home from work tonight, I will post the link to the brulosophy blog on the quick lager, and my recipe for the beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1945 on: August 15, 2016, 02:05:56 pm »
+1 to the fast lager method. That is all I use for these. Originally taken from Tasty over on the BN. All of my average gravity lagers are in the keg with a 24 hr cold crash in under 14 days. Usually by day 12. Pretty much 1 week between 48-50F (pitching cold), then 5 or so days around room temps for a d-rest (even if one is not needed, as it helps the beers to condition and attenuate), then closed transfer into a keg.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1946 on: August 15, 2016, 03:04:39 pm »
I love the fast lager, but I tend to think about it more wholistically.

As a homebrewer I'm less concerned about a quick turnaround. On the other hand, with lagers I am definitely concerned with complete attenuation.

So, I tend to use the temp ramp to ensure full attenuation and handle diacetyl all in one shot.

Depending on my gravity sample, I still may leave the beer for 2+ weeks, but I know I am maximizing yeast activity and my yeast is healthy enough that I'm not risking autolysis or any negative impacts.

I understand purists might disagree, but I haven't bee able to pinpoint any benefit to slowing down the cleanup stage.

Note: There's still plenty of yeast in suspension and I agree that most of my lagers are better after a month or two in the keg.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1947 on: August 15, 2016, 03:45:34 pm »
I agree, but with a healthy pitch of yeast, I pretty much start to see the krausen fall back into the beer at days 5-7 (average gravity lagers) which tells me that fermentation is starting to slow. It is at this point that I allow the beer to warm up to room temps to finish off for another 5-7 days ensuring complete attenuation and a diacetyl rest in one shot, like you mentioned.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1948 on: August 15, 2016, 03:47:26 pm »
I agree, but with a healthy pitch of yeast, I pretty much start to see the krausen fall back into the beer at days 5-7 (average gravity lagers) which tells me that fermentation is starting to slow. It is at this point that I allow the beer to warm up to room temps to finish off for another 5-7 days ensuring complete attenuation and a diacetyl rest in one shot, like you mentioned.

Exactly what I'm doing. Really liking the results.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1949 on: August 15, 2016, 03:49:04 pm »
Pretty much takes the same for ales for me too. Although recently I have been packaging up some ales a tad quicker if the yeast strain allows. I am looking at you Thames Valley II!!!