Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586543 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #1995 on: August 30, 2016, 10:58:55 am »
Just ordered some brewtan B also through Jon's link. Thanks to all who have tried it already for posting your thoughts
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1996 on: August 30, 2016, 06:44:16 pm »
Agreed.  The other point (that I have mentioned before) is that we all have different systems and we all introduce varying amounts of O2 and brewtan may help some people more than it helps others.  My setup is old and very manual... lots of pouring, splashing, stirring, recircing, racking, etc.  If the GBF guys are saying that O2-pickup on brewday can instantly rob your beer of deep malt character, that suggests that there is a very nice short-term benefit to the brewtan as well.  Now we just need a North American supplier to make it easier for us to get our hands on it!  :D

No joke! And my process is old school homebrewing, too - ie., pouring splashing, etc.
Same here. Guess I will have to order some and give it a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1997 on: August 30, 2016, 08:05:35 pm »
Agreed.  The other point (that I have mentioned before) is that we all have different systems and we all introduce varying amounts of O2 and brewtan may help some people more than it helps others.  My setup is old and very manual... lots of pouring, splashing, stirring, recircing, racking, etc.  If the GBF guys are saying that O2-pickup on brewday can instantly rob your beer of deep malt character, that suggests that there is a very nice short-term benefit to the brewtan as well.  Now we just need a North American supplier to make it easier for us to get our hands on it!  :D

No joke! And my process is old school homebrewing, too - ie., pouring splashing, etc.

I've since started siphoning my strike and sparge water as gently as possible. Got a helles with Brewtan B about to go into the kegerator. Samples, as of yet, don't seem to be much different than my other beers. Difficult to say when they're not cold and carbonated. This one I actually did my old method of pouring strike and sparge water in the mashtun. I was cringing as I dumped...
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1998 on: August 31, 2016, 05:04:10 pm »

I've since started siphoning my strike and sparge water as gently as possible.

You must have lost some degrees of heat by doing that?  How did you account for that?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1999 on: September 02, 2016, 04:40:16 pm »
Just posting this to show the difference in lighting. Same Ofest, same glass, different light. It comes in at just under 8 SRM (I was a tad more light on dark Munich than I thought, so it ended up 7.8 SRM). Real color is probably right in the middle.

Today, plenty of light.

Last week, overcast. Same beer looks like the darker end of the spectrum. Who cares, it's damn good.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:00:44 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2000 on: September 02, 2016, 05:14:20 pm »
Just posting this to show the difference in lighting. Same Ofest, same glass, different light. It comes in at just under 8 SRM (I was a tad more light on dark Munich than I thought, so it ended up 7.8 SRM). Real color is probably right in the middle.

Today, plenty of light.

Last week, overcast. Same beer looks like the darker end of the spectrum. Who cares, it's damn good.

Wait, I thought you were going to stop drinking it!  :D  Stop drinking it!  Oktoberfest is still about 2 weeks away!!

FTR, my keg of Oktoberfest is already gone.  Helles will have to do.  Cheers and beautiful shot of your beer.  I'm a brewer but I'm not a photographer.  One thing that I *do* know is that natural light will usually help your pics of beer.  I think I may have that glass too.  ;)
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2001 on: September 02, 2016, 05:21:05 pm »
Wait, I thought you were going to stop drinking it!  :D  Stop drinking it!  Oktoberfest is still about 2 weeks away!!

Yeah, off the Ofest now. There is ~ 3/4 left :)  Just irritated me that the first pic looked so different than the real thing (though today's is a little light). I'm definitely no photographer either. It's all about the lighting, for sure.

Edit -  And cheers !
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:34:05 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline DukeBeefhorn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2002 on: September 03, 2016, 04:53:56 pm »
Vanilla porter for me.  It. Is. Wonderful.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2003 on: September 03, 2016, 05:09:29 pm »

Pils for me this evening, it just keeps getting better.

-Tony

-Tony

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2004 on: September 03, 2016, 05:14:55 pm »

Today, plenty of light.

And still looking like it is going to fall off that ledge!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2005 on: September 03, 2016, 05:24:57 pm »
Yeah, has to be the camera angle. The base is almost entirely on the ledge. Weirdness.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2006 on: September 03, 2016, 05:28:45 pm »
Yeah, has to be the camera angle. The base is almost entirely on the ledge. Weirdness.

It barely looks like its even on there. I thought that from the very first time too!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2007 on: September 03, 2016, 05:55:59 pm »
Cali common - Scottish style - Golden Promise/C45/cascades
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2008 on: September 03, 2016, 06:26:45 pm »
Looks (and sounds) good, man.
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2009 on: September 03, 2016, 08:53:22 pm »
Amber Lager in the backyard this afternoon...  Click to Enlarge.

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.