Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586236 times)

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4575 on: October 23, 2021, 05:42:58 pm »
Mr. Tommyknocker seems to be enjoying it!  :D  Looks great. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4576 on: October 25, 2021, 02:09:56 pm »
Tapped my wee Heavy called, "A Wee Bit Heavy".  Came out really good at 8% ABV.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4577 on: October 27, 2021, 07:36:11 pm »
It’s not a lot to look at but my god am I proud of it!!!! I’ve often struggled with bigger beers particularly barleywine but nailed it with this agave nectar influenced 15.5% beer. First 7 oz bottle and it’s great right now even though I designed it to be laid down and enjoyed across a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4578 on: October 28, 2021, 06:38:36 am »
It’s not a lot to look at but my god am I proud of it!!!! I’ve often struggled with bigger beers particularly barleywine but nailed it with this agave nectar influenced 15.5% beer. First 7 oz bottle and it’s great right now even though I designed it to be laid down and enjoyed across a decade.

Well done.  Congrats on making a beer you're so happy with. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4579 on: October 29, 2021, 01:41:22 pm »
2nd go at a English Bitter. Needs a touch more color in my opinion and a few more weeks of clearing. Overall I am happy with it!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4580 on: October 29, 2021, 04:28:22 pm »
Czech Pilsner, this is my favorite beer to make, share and drink! It has a permanent tap!

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4581 on: October 29, 2021, 06:44:48 pm »
Gold Lager with Edelweiss and 2124 tonight while watching the World Series.  GO CUBS!  :D

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4582 on: October 29, 2021, 07:04:53 pm »
Gold Lager with Edelweiss and 2124 tonight while watching the World Series.  GO CUBS!  :D

Ha! Down with the Cheatstros!

Very tasty looking beer.
Jesse

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4583 on: October 31, 2021, 04:33:14 pm »
Last batch of my Cabana Lager for 2021.  Pilsner, Vienna, Flaked Corn, Liberty hops, Omega 113.  This is the first glass from the keg so some recent changes I made (thanks to Brewbama) are really working with regard to clarity.

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4584 on: October 31, 2021, 05:00:29 pm »
Last batch of my Cabana Lager for 2021.  Pilsner, Vienna, Flaked Corn, Liberty hops, Omega 113.  This is the first glass from the keg so some recent changes I made (thanks to Brewbama) are really working with regard to clarity.

That's pretty as hell! Now I'm curious what you were told to make that first class so clean.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4585 on: October 31, 2021, 05:06:51 pm »
That's pretty as hell! Now I'm curious what you were told to make that first class so clean.
The first part was just getting strike water to a pH of about 5.5 prior to the mash.  I believe that I may have been mashing at a lower-than-desired pH for awhile.  I am also making an acid adjustment in the kettle with about 10 minutes left and right before whirfloc would be added.  I also scrapped some things like BTB and the trifecta mix suggested by the LO brewers.  Lastly, I had a product by Cellar Science called Clearzyme which is added when you pitch.  I used it on 8-10 batches and did not see a difference so I discontinued it but that was all before these other changes.  My guess is that Clearzyme is helping now that those other changes have been although I don't know that for sure.  Quite a few of my latest beers are coming out really nice flavor-wise and clarity-wise.  Cheers allenhuerta. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4586 on: October 31, 2021, 05:39:26 pm »
When it all works it’s worth it. Good looking beer Ken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4587 on: November 01, 2021, 11:46:50 am »
That's a very nice looking beer, Ken. Lately, I've been mashing at a room temp pH of 5.5 or so, and for light styles adding 1-2mL of lactic acid near the end of the boil. I'm curious to see what differences, if any, I get on my beers. Also, going forward I don't think I'll use Brewtan B anymore either as I have all stainless contact. For what it's worth, I hadn't used it in the boil for the last few years. Just never thought it did anything beneficial.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 11:48:52 am by beersk »
Jesse

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4588 on: November 01, 2021, 01:00:08 pm »
That's a very nice looking beer, Ken. Lately, I've been mashing at a room temp pH of 5.5 or so, and for light styles adding 1-2mL of lactic acid near the end of the boil. I'm curious to see what differences, if any, I get on my beers. Also, going forward I don't think I'll use Brewtan B anymore either as I have all stainless contact. For what it's worth, I hadn't used it in the boil for the last few years. Just never thought it did anything beneficial.
In some of the threads I started regarding mash pH, boil intensity, beer clarity, etc., I was trying to determine if there were things I could do that would be more likely to create a haze in beer that I could not get rid of.  Mashing at a pH that was too high or low, a low boil intensity, etc.  I too have been getting the mash pH to a room temp number of 5.4 to 5.5 which should translate to about 5.2 to 5.3 at mash temp.  This seems to be working well in terms of clarity and I believe that this is a good spot to be for the majority of the boil.  Could boiling at a too-low pH cause haze issues?  Dunno.  But it seems that finings like Whirfloc work better at a slightly lower pH so I have been adding 1 to 1.5ml of acid with about 10 minutes left in the boil.  The other part of the "simplification" routine was to hold darker malts until the end of the mash so they don't futz with mash pH.  To be clear, this might be 1-2 ounces of carafa or MW, etc.  If I have higher amounts of something like Special B or British Crystal, I do add those to the mash but I don't make many beers like that.  If I had 8-12 ounces of CaraMunich or maybe CaraVienne, I mash those for the entire mash time.  The couple beers where I held the darker malts until the end of the mash came out really well.  I got color and flavor from those malts but the pH was where it should be.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4589 on: November 02, 2021, 01:00:14 pm »
In some of the threads I started regarding mash pH, boil intensity, beer clarity, etc., I was trying to determine if there were things I could do that would be more likely to create a haze in beer that I could not get rid of.  Mashing at a pH that was too high or low, a low boil intensity, etc.  I too have been getting the mash pH to a room temp number of 5.4 to 5.5 which should translate to about 5.2 to 5.3 at mash temp.  This seems to be working well in terms of clarity and I believe that this is a good spot to be for the majority of the boil.  Could boiling at a too-low pH cause haze issues?  Dunno.  But it seems that finings like Whirfloc work better at a slightly lower pH so I have been adding 1 to 1.5ml of acid with about 10 minutes left in the boil.  The other part of the "simplification" routine was to hold darker malts until the end of the mash so they don't futz with mash pH.  To be clear, this might be 1-2 ounces of carafa or MW, etc.  If I have higher amounts of something like Special B or British Crystal, I do add those to the mash but I don't make many beers like that.  If I had 8-12 ounces of CaraMunich or maybe CaraVienne, I mash those for the entire mash time.  The couple beers where I held the darker malts until the end of the mash came out really well.  I got color and flavor from those malts but the pH was where it should be.  Cheers.
Ken, it sounds like we're both on the same track. Plugging things into Bru'n Water, not a lot of grists really need a pH adjustment DOWN. Most of the time they need to be adjusted UP for anything darker than maybe 7 or 8 SRM to get to that 5.5 room temp pH. So that kind of takes a bit of the stress of adding acid to the water a bit for me. I don't adjust my brewing down before mashing. I just use RO and minerals.

How long does a typical keg of beer last you on tap? Just curious.
Jesse