Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586242 times)

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5175 on: March 11, 2023, 11:57:05 am »
I think it was actually 7 days G to G. Brewed the 28th making today the eighth day. That photo was yesterday.

S-04 took it from 1.047 to 1.015 in ~3 days and I let it set a day. I kegged and put it under 30 psi for a day, reduced to 10 psi for a cpl, and there you go.  I’ll let it continue to condition under CO2 until St Pat’s sneaking a pint or two here and there while leaning harder on the Mild and Bitter.
…Did you have any hint of diacetyl in the stout?

No diacetyl. I ferment at 65°F and let it sit a day at 65°F after it flatlined. Give it a chance to consume any by products.

Here’s the Mild:

…and the Bitter (patterned after Lee’s Best)

Very nice, and wow, what a great lineup, especially for this time of year!

Personally, I've currently got the following fermenting:

Dry Irish stout
60 shilling
Irish red ale
British golden ale.

All 4 should be kegged up and ready to drink by St. Pat's! I'm a procrastinator as per usual, but all these styles should be able to go grain to glass pretty quickly!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #5176 on: March 11, 2023, 12:03:29 pm »
Here's an English IPA I brewed a while back.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5177 on: March 11, 2023, 02:39:51 pm »
Marzen Style
2% Carafa 1 was too much. 1% next iteration. Overall I am satisfied with the results.
Cheers to All!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopdropz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5178 on: March 11, 2023, 02:42:07 pm »

Witbier I brewed. The beers here look fantastic. Cheers from Tn.

I wonder if beer thinks about me......

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5179 on: March 11, 2023, 02:53:45 pm »
Nice lookin Wit. Where in TN?

Offline hopdropz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5180 on: March 11, 2023, 03:02:03 pm »
Thank you. I’m a couple hours south of Nashville.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5181 on: March 11, 2023, 03:06:09 pm »
An Amber Lager here in the pub this afternoon.  Swaen Lager Malt, flaked corn, CaraMunich, Sterling hops early and late, Omega German Lager #1.  The late Sterling hops crisply dance around your tastebuds in the finish.  Cheers Beerheads.

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5182 on: March 11, 2023, 03:10:26 pm »
Marzen Style
2% Carafa 1 was too much. 1% next iteration. Overall I am satisfied with the results.
Cheers to All!!

that colour was what i was aiming for with my dunkel and i used 2% carafa debittered III. its a really really dark malt

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5183 on: March 11, 2023, 03:52:58 pm »

I am ~ an hr S of the TN/AL line. Cheers!

Offline hopdropz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5184 on: March 11, 2023, 04:22:47 pm »

I am ~ an hr S of the TN/AL line. Cheers!
Oh nice. I visit Straight to Ale and Yellowhammer a few times a year.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5185 on: March 12, 2023, 06:26:26 pm »
I made an English brown ale...it has been a great beer during SoCal's cold snap. The beer doesn't quite have as much caramel character as it should, but nonetheless is pretty drinkable.

just checked your recipe and from this and others i think you and i have a pretty similar recipe formulation style. however windsor lol, yeah.

i attempted to do a copitch of windsor and bry97 (usually get around 76% attenuation with bry97), so imagined id ad least get low 70s attenuation. nope ended up with 66% attenuation. OG 1.073, FG 1.025, its a good tasting beer, but i dont even feel like i get an amazing body at 1.025, very strong aroma going on though. windsor should be cautioned against except for very specific beer types any time its mentioned.

Yeah, I've found Windsor to be a fairly...not sure on the word, but "odd" is probably the best descriptor...yeast. I only got 48% attenuation(!) on this batch, which is ridiculously low even for warmer mash temperatures. Every once in awhile I get a packet, and am then reminded why I don't use it more often.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5186 on: March 12, 2023, 09:07:01 pm »
I made an English brown ale...it has been a great beer during SoCal's cold snap. The beer doesn't quite have as much caramel character as it should, but nonetheless is pretty drinkable.

just checked your recipe and from this and others i think you and i have a pretty similar recipe formulation style. however windsor lol, yeah.

i attempted to do a copitch of windsor and bry97 (usually get around 76% attenuation with bry97), so imagined id ad least get low 70s attenuation. nope ended up with 66% attenuation. OG 1.073, FG 1.025, its a good tasting beer, but i dont even feel like i get an amazing body at 1.025, very strong aroma going on though. windsor should be cautioned against except for very specific beer types any time its mentioned.

Yeah, I've found Windsor to be a fairly...not sure on the word, but "odd" is probably the best descriptor...yeast. I only got 48% attenuation(!) on this batch, which is ridiculously low even for warmer mash temperatures. Every once in awhile I get a packet, and am then reminded why I don't use it more often.

oh my god 48% is insane. frigging ron pattinson 1800s records search levels. yeah, its off my list. i try to keep files on any data or pereceptions i get from yeasts and brews in general even with the yeasts just a "would i try it again - y/n" column in excel. personally i found windsor to be tasteful but its a no because of the attenuation

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5187 on: March 12, 2023, 10:04:35 pm »

oh my god 48% is insane. frigging ron pattinson 1800s records search levels. yeah, its off my list. i try to keep files on any data or pereceptions i get from yeasts and brews in general even with the yeasts just a "would i try it again - y/n" column in excel. personally i found windsor to be tasteful but its a no because of the attenuation

I hardly believed it, too. I used a higher mash temp (around 156 degrees), but attenuation should still be more than what I got! Maybe I messed something up in the process (I'm pretty confident on my measurements)...but I really do blame the yeast. Apparently this isn't unheard of behavior for Windsor, based on my internet searches. The beer is pretty good, all that said.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5188 on: March 12, 2023, 10:41:24 pm »

I hardly believed it, too. I used a higher mash temp (around 156 degrees), but attenuation should still be more than what I got! Maybe I messed something up in the process (I'm pretty confident on my measurements)...but I really do blame the yeast. Apparently this isn't unheard of behavior for Windsor, based on my internet searches. The beer is pretty good, all that said.

this is a big thing describing my process but i, like certain others i know here do the same mash target every time and estimate FG based on how much less-fermentable specialty grains im adding -crystal, roasted, etc. but yeah, its crazy, but not unheard of for windsor again, which is why i believe in 2023 people should be attaching warning labels to yeasts like windsor, s33, london ESB etc. as i said above about notes i also make general process notes, one of which is simply - aim for 75% attenuation yueasts or above in the future. though agian this is problematic based simply off internet reports, since the WLP920 i used hit as high as 84% in an all-grain beer while white labs states its attenuation as between 66-73%. second brew with half munich and some roasted malt still hit 76%. so yeah.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5189 on: March 13, 2023, 12:42:11 pm »
Speaking of Windsor yeast (and its attenuation)...  Not sure whether I should start a new thread, so as not to sidetrack this too much, but...

Every batch I brew I split into multiple FVs so that I can compare different yeasts on the exact same wort: always at least 2-3, but sometimes as many as 7.

One thing I keep discovering, is my best beers (read: the ones I enjoy the most) almost always use Windsor.  I love it.

Granted, I often step-mash to create a highly fermentable wort, with one at 145-148, a second one usually around 152-155, another as close to 160 as possible. (I do it in an igloo, so it often takes several steps of added water to get through my temperature ranges.)

The other thing I've had a lot of success with, is combining Windsor with another [reliably attenuating] yeast, such as the commonly cited W+Notty mix (which has NOT worked all that well for me; honestly Notty always gives me mediocre results with anything).  Choosing the second yeast as a slower one, like Bry-97 or US05 or Koln or even BE-134 (which is remarkably clean at 55 degrees, btw) lets Windsor get its awesome esters produced before the other yeast takes away too much of the fermentable sugars.   Windsor takes off so fast!  Granted, I don't know what the proportions are by the 3rd or 4th gen, but I'm still getting those awesome esters AND still getting 80% to 85% consistently, which combined with the higher ABVs I tend to brew, get me right into my own personal sweet spot.

And I also find that Windsor does a lot better on the repitched generations (even just by itself).  I can almost always get 75% to 80% on a 2nd gen slurry yeastcake of Windsor.

Currently, I am doing a bunch of Windsor blended with Verdant, which go really nicely together, IMO.  (Verdant also takes off fast, so I usually give Windsor a slight headstart.) 

I realize I'm talking about mostly dry yeasts here; I did a couple dozen batches with liquid yeasts, and didn't feel like I was really getting significantly better results (for my tastes) than I was getting with dry, so I went back to dry yeasts only.

It's true that flavors are subjective, but I do really love what Windsor gives me, and I do all I can to keep it working for me.  Co-pitched with Verdant just seems like a match made in heaven.  YMMV.

Anyway, sorry for the sidetracking there.  Just wanted to give Windsor some love. 

[Mods: is this better off split off as a new thread, or appended to an old Windsor thread??]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:48:12 pm by ScallyWag »