Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586383 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5190 on: March 13, 2023, 02:57:04 pm »
Speaking of Windsor yeast (and its attenuation)...  Not sure whether I should start a new thread, so as not to sidetrack this too much, but...

Every batch I brew I split into multiple FVs so that I can compare different yeasts on the exact same wort: always at least 2-3, but sometimes as many as 7.

One thing I keep discovering, is my best beers (read: the ones I enjoy the most) almost always use Windsor.  I love it.

Granted, I often step-mash to create a highly fermentable wort, with one at 145-148, a second one usually around 152-155, another as close to 160 as possible. (I do it in an igloo, so it often takes several steps of added water to get through my temperature ranges.)

The other thing I've had a lot of success with, is combining Windsor with another [reliably attenuating] yeast, such as the commonly cited W+Notty mix (which has NOT worked all that well for me; honestly Notty always gives me mediocre results with anything).  Choosing the second yeast as a slower one, like Bry-97 or US05 or Koln or even BE-134 (which is remarkably clean at 55 degrees, btw) lets Windsor get its awesome esters produced before the other yeast takes away too much of the fermentable sugars.   Windsor takes off so fast!  Granted, I don't know what the proportions are by the 3rd or 4th gen, but I'm still getting those awesome esters AND still getting 80% to 85% consistently, which combined with the higher ABVs I tend to brew, get me right into my own personal sweet spot.

And I also find that Windsor does a lot better on the repitched generations (even just by itself).  I can almost always get 75% to 80% on a 2nd gen slurry yeastcake of Windsor.

Currently, I am doing a bunch of Windsor blended with Verdant, which go really nicely together, IMO.  (Verdant also takes off fast, so I usually give Windsor a slight headstart.) 

I realize I'm talking about mostly dry yeasts here; I did a couple dozen batches with liquid yeasts, and didn't feel like I was really getting significantly better results (for my tastes) than I was getting with dry, so I went back to dry yeasts only.

It's true that flavors are subjective, but I do really love what Windsor gives me, and I do all I can to keep it working for me.  Co-pitched with Verdant just seems like a match made in heaven.  YMMV.

Anyway, sorry for the sidetracking there.  Just wanted to give Windsor some love. 

[Mods: is this better off split off as a new thread, or appended to an old Windsor thread??]
Maybe you should try Windsor with Lalbrew New England.  The New England is a very slow starter but high attenuator. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5191 on: March 13, 2023, 03:45:19 pm »
Speaking of Windsor yeast (and its attenuation)...  Not sure whether I should start a new thread, so as not to sidetrack this too much, but...

Every batch I brew I split into multiple FVs so that I can compare different yeasts on the exact same wort: always at least 2-3, but sometimes as many as 7.

One thing I keep discovering, is my best beers (read: the ones I enjoy the most) almost always use Windsor.  I love it.

Granted, I often step-mash to create a highly fermentable wort, with one at 145-148, a second one usually around 152-155, another as close to 160 as possible. (I do it in an igloo, so it often takes several steps of added water to get through my temperature ranges.)

The other thing I've had a lot of success with, is combining Windsor with another [reliably attenuating] yeast, such as the commonly cited W+Notty mix (which has NOT worked all that well for me; honestly Notty always gives me mediocre results with anything).  Choosing the second yeast as a slower one, like Bry-97 or US05 or Koln or even BE-134 (which is remarkably clean at 55 degrees, btw) lets Windsor get its awesome esters produced before the other yeast takes away too much of the fermentable sugars.   Windsor takes off so fast!  Granted, I don't know what the proportions are by the 3rd or 4th gen, but I'm still getting those awesome esters AND still getting 80% to 85% consistently, which combined with the higher ABVs I tend to brew, get me right into my own personal sweet spot.

And I also find that Windsor does a lot better on the repitched generations (even just by itself).  I can almost always get 75% to 80% on a 2nd gen slurry yeastcake of Windsor.

I realize I'm talking about mostly dry yeasts here; I did a couple dozen batches with liquid yeasts, and didn't feel like I was really getting significantly better results (for my tastes) than I was getting with dry, so I went back to dry yeasts only.

It's true that flavors are subjective, but I do really love what Windsor gives me, and I do all I can to keep it working for me.  Co-pitched with Verdant just seems like a match made in heaven.  YMMV.

dry yeasts have an important use for me - making a big beer without a starter beer with 2 yeast packets. or i guess if i just wanted a cheap and easy brew i'd go with a single pack of bry97 or s04. windsor definitely had a good yeast taste when i tried it, body not so much imho. residual sugar does not simply equal good body. i actually have amazing and creamy body with a wlp833 beer that has an FG of 1.005 right now.

really interesting to note about the repitches reaching higher attenuation, ive heard that about other yeasts too.

i did a bry97 and windsor split and it still only reached 66%, so thats my experience with the windsor/other yeast split.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5192 on: March 15, 2023, 09:21:22 pm »
Munich Helles with some spring training baseball tonight...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5193 on: March 16, 2023, 07:59:07 am »
Munich Helles with some spring training baseball tonight...

Hey Ken. Would you be willing to share any recipe insights? From what I recall you had a higher % of munich which is a direction I would like to go in.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5194 on: March 16, 2023, 08:18:46 am »
Hey Ken. Would you be willing to share any recipe insights? From what I recall you had a higher % of munich which is a direction I would like to go in.
This one was very simple.  80/20 Swaen Lager malt/Best Malz Munich 1.  I used Liberty hops because they had just come from YVH and I feel like they were the best and freshest "neutral" hops that I had at the moment.  One addition for 21.5 IBUs from the start of the [30 minute] boil.  I did a single infusion mash at 149° for 60 minutes.  Omega German Lager #1 for the yeast.  The concept of a helles being malty and crisp at the same time always confounds me.  I tend to try to "malty up" the beer with Vienna or Munich but the other factor is that I tend to brew this beer with the water leaning towards chloride which brings that full, round character.  I had a bud over on Sunday and he raved about this beer.  I had a contractor here on Tuesday and him and his partner finished and asked if they could have a beer (the contractor has been here many times and has had A LOT of my beer) and they were raving about it too.  I'm going to make another version of it with 2124 coming up here soon. Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5195 on: March 16, 2023, 09:04:22 am »
This one was very simple.  80/20 Swaen Lager malt/Best Malz Munich 1.  I used Liberty hops because they had just come from YVH and I feel like they were the best and freshest "neutral" hops that I had at the moment.  One addition for 21.5 IBUs from the start of the [30 minute] boil.  I did a single infusion mash at 149° for 60 minutes.  Omega German Lager #1 for the yeast.  The concept of a helles being malty and crisp at the same time always confounds me.  I tend to try to "malty up" the beer with Vienna or Munich but the other factor is that I tend to brew this beer with the water leaning towards chloride which brings that full, round character.  I had a bud over on Sunday and he raved about this beer.  I had a contractor here on Tuesday and him and his partner finished and asked if they could have a beer (the contractor has been here many times and has had A LOT of my beer) and they were raving about it too.  I'm going to make another version of it with 2124 coming up here soon. Cheers.
Thank you!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5196 on: March 18, 2023, 05:36:15 pm »

Kolsch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5197 on: March 18, 2023, 06:08:11 pm »
Gorgeous!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5198 on: March 19, 2023, 08:49:07 am »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5199 on: March 19, 2023, 09:14:18 am »
Gorgeous!
This.
Thanks gentlemen! Probably my best attempt at kolsch so far so I’m very happy with it!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5200 on: March 19, 2023, 09:56:07 am »
Gorgeous!
This.
Thanks gentlemen! Probably my best attempt at kolsch so far so I’m very happy with it!
Which yeast?  2565?
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5201 on: March 19, 2023, 10:11:06 am »
Gorgeous!
This.
Which yeast?  2565?
Danstar Koln. I’ve made so many iterations using multiple yeast strains. If I get good results I’m always going to use a dry strain. So happy a good dry kolsch strain is available.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 10:20:48 am by Iliff Ave »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5202 on: March 19, 2023, 05:09:50 pm »

Rice lager. Can’t tell from the pic but it’s very bright.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 05:50:29 pm by Iliff Ave »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5203 on: March 19, 2023, 06:06:33 pm »

Rice lager. Can’t tell from the pic but it’s very bright.

You’re killing it brother.  Damn fine looking beers.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5204 on: March 19, 2023, 06:36:06 pm »
Beauty.  I have had similar results with my rice lagers.  Clear and light.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"