Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recent exBEERiment result  (Read 10665 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: recent exBEERiment result
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2023, 12:39:23 pm »
https://brulosophy.com/2023/01/06/the-hop-chronicles-saaz-2020-pale-lager/#more-141979

Saaz = Citrus, Tropical Fruit etc.

lol
Blind taste any beer with the expectation to decide the hop aroma/flavor contribution and you will pick out citrus just about every time. I get citrus from Saaz. It's not like Citra or Galaxy, but it's there. When you know what ingredients you're using you will often find what you expect, but even then I get citrus notes from noble hops like Saaz and Tettnanger all the time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2023, 01:11:09 pm »
Because people are getting upset I will no longer be replying to most things in this thread. But that is my two cents on exbeeriments and why I am no longer using them for information.

There's a simple solution Fred. Quit reading/watching Brulosophy and omit it from what you post and respond to. Plenty of folks understand that they present their experiments for what they are and enjoy them, whether as entertainment or data points to ponder.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2023, 03:57:58 pm »
Ugh.  Makes you wonder how many pints of other stuff the tasters consumed prior to the xBmt.  Palate fatigue, wishful thinking, stupidity, terroir, or a combo of some or all of these.

For a recent competition at my club, we all brewed a Czech dark.  We all used Czech Saaz.  Zero of the entries tastes like citrus or tropical fruit.  Recipes and ingredient sources varied.  Zero examples tasted like citrus or tropical fruit.  Zero.  No one said anything about these characteristics during the BOS-style tasting.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2023, 04:35:46 pm »

Blind taste any beer with the expectation to decide the hop aroma/flavor contribution and you will pick out citrus just about every time. I get citrus from Saaz. It's not like Citra or Galaxy, but it's there. When you know what ingredients you're using you will often find what you expect, but even then I get citrus notes from noble hops like Saaz and Tettnanger all the time.

Interesting, I'll take your word on that. TBH I haven't used saaz in my homebrew in a long time, but its still in my memory as spicy, shiny-sharp, herbal taste, though i did not break it down deeply.

Ugh.  Makes you wonder how many pints of other stuff the tasters consumed prior to the xBmt.  Palate fatigue, wishful thinking, stupidity, terroir, or a combo of some or all of these.

For a recent competition at my club, we all brewed a Czech dark.  We all used Czech Saaz.  Zero of the entries tastes like citrus or tropical fruit.  Recipes and ingredient sources varied.  Zero examples tasted like citrus or tropical fruit.  Zero.  No one said anything about these characteristics during the BOS-style tasting.

my "lol", wasnt a total condemnation necessarily, since it is 2022 and my perception is that a lot of european regions actually have a belief that the US is leading the way and are very into US style hops, i thought maybe it was how they are growing hops in the saaz region or it is a weird sourcing.

but yeah, even that is unlikely since people expect saaz to be... saaz. noble.

i just wonder how those results could have come about. funny.

and yes, i do still keep brulosophy on my shortlist of brewing bookmarks since i just don't know too many sites that update super frequently. its popcorn.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:38:58 pm by fredthecat »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2023, 04:57:17 pm »
I saw that as well and thought I was on crazy pills. Wasn’t the first time I was taken aback by their results from traditional hop testing…
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2023, 04:56:15 am »
I just bought a pound of Saaz to brew up some Czech lagers.  I hope there’s no citrus!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2023, 08:40:19 am »
I just bought a pound of Saaz to brew up some Czech lagers.  I hope there’s no citrus!

Continental or domestic?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2023, 12:54:32 pm »
I don't know if he single hop series has told me anything the grower doesn't have on the package. Does anyone get anything from these charts that helps them make a decision prior to brewing?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2023, 01:39:47 pm »
I don't know if he single hop series has told me anything the grower doesn't have on the package. Does anyone get anything from these charts that helps them make a decision prior to brewing?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
If there's a new hop I'm considering trying, but onion/garlic show up in the descriptors, then I generally stay away. Otherwise, I tend to get more from the author's personal conclusions (good/bad/indifferent) than the charts themselves.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2023, 02:49:19 pm »

Methinks they are a complete waste of time, and I quit reading them after the first couple hop chronicles, except for something like this case where it's a specific discussion topic.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2023, 04:49:04 am »

Continental or domestic?
  continental.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2023, 10:24:31 am »

Continental or domestic?

domestic saaz taste alot more earthy to me that continental, although I havent used continental saaz in years

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2023, 11:16:54 am »

Continental or domestic?

domestic saaz taste alot more earthy to me that continental, although I havent used continental saaz in years

I'm not sure I could generalize like that

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2023, 08:46:56 am »

Continental or domestic?

I'm not sure I could generalize like that
what do you mean?