Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shortages at the grocery  (Read 6971 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Shortages at the grocery
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2020, 10:57:30 am »
Has anyone tried drive up and pick up orders at the grocery store? I'm wondering if this is a more reliable way of getting supplies. People at the grocery store also don't seem to be interested in maintaining 6 ft separation, or sanitizing their carts or hands.

Yeah, that's what we've been doing .  Order online and they give you a pick up time.  They also let you know in advance if something you order is out of stock and let you make subs.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2020, 11:24:45 am »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2020, 11:58:33 am »
What really stinks is having to go to the store more often than usual in hopes of finding the stuff I need to get me through the next week.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2020, 05:36:21 pm »
I plan on using my investment portfolio as toilet paper.
Damn near spit out my tasting of my Triple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2020, 05:45:56 pm »
We actually found chicken and lettuce yesterday, which we hadn't seen in a couple weeks.
I’ve been thinking of you. Your in the beginning of the storm. It took me a week, but found a small mom and pop that had whole chickens. It was in eyesight of a major grocery chain. He had 30, only bought 6, should have cleaned him out so I could fit in with the hoarders here. Gonna be a long ride, hang in there!

Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2020, 05:53:53 pm »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did we think YH was anything other than 1st class?  Just awesome, went to buy 3 sacks today and was told to buy by the pound. Made a lot of sense to me since the order to close comes at 8pm tonight. Maybe I should drive, or live, in Al.

Jeff B

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2020, 06:06:12 pm »
Has anyone tried drive up and pick up orders at the grocery store? I'm wondering if this is a more reliable way of getting supplies. People at the grocery store also don't seem to be interested in maintaining 6 ft separation, or sanitizing their carts or hands.

We have done that twice. They substitute sometimes, but let you know and ask if you accept that. No Clorox wipes either time.

You have to open close your trunk lid or rear hatch. Having one that is motorized makes it quick and easy.

I'm thinking about senior hour early We'd.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2020, 07:01:09 am »
This is part of the reason why stores have run out of our basic supplies.  I got disgusted watching this after a couple minutes and turned it off.  Humanity, sometimes, never ceases to amaze me.

https://youtu.be/bTI9JtJWJ_M
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2020, 02:36:03 pm »
Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee. I found toilet paper today. My precious.
One roll away from paper towels.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2020, 05:01:55 pm »
What I don't understand is why people are hoarding flour? I actually like to bake - I make cakes, cookies and lots of bread. I went today and found one small bag of Organic All Purpose Flour and I bought it. I asked the cashier kid why so many people were hoarding flour. "To make bread?" He said. I asked him "how many people do you really think know how to make bread?" I'll add the bread isle is mostly full.  ::)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2020, 05:18:28 pm »
This is part of the reason why stores have run out of our basic supplies.  I got disgusted watching this after a couple minutes and turned it off.  Humanity, sometimes, never ceases to amaze me.

WTF do those supremely selfish dimwits think they're going to do with all that stuff? Hell half of it probably blew out of the friggin truck on the way down the highway. Maybe they were badly bullied when they were young and this is how they get back at the world?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2020, 06:53:23 am »

WTF do those supremely selfish dimwits think they're going to do with all that stuff? Hell half of it probably blew out of the friggin truck on the way down the highway. Maybe they were badly bullied when they were young and this is how they get back at the world?

They were deprived children!  Actually, as I understand, TP, paper towels, napkins, cleaning supplies are being sold by hoarders on eBay and other such sites.

My wife found on Amazon: 6 rolls of TP for about $8.00, plus $10 shipping!  Guaranteed to arrive by May 1st!  How’s that for a deal?
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2020, 07:00:41 am »

They were deprived children!  Actually, as I understand, TP, paper towels, napkins, cleaning supplies are being sold by hoarders on eBay and other such sites.

My wife found on Amazon: 6 rolls of TP for about $8.00, plus $10 shipping!  Guaranteed to arrive by May 1st!  How’s that for a deal?

May they rot in hell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2020, 12:20:46 pm »
Joliet, IL

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2020, 01:53:26 pm »

May they rot in hell

+1

People who are intentionally over buying for the purpose of reselling at gouging level prices deserve to be hunted down.

That said, a lot of people are just really scared and grasping at what they can control in a situation they have no control over.  I feel sorry for these folks but can't bring myself to vilify them.

I have a friend/coworker with two young kids, one of whom has an immuno-compromised condition.  Obviously he worries a lot about his kids and what happens if he got infected and died.  When talking to him last week he said, and I quote, "I know I shouldn't go out and buy a lot of stuff that I probably won't ever need but I'm so worried about my folks and my kids that I still went to Sam's and spent about $1000.  I couldn't stop myself."  He was embarrassed but still very worried.  He'll eventually use everything he brought home.  He would never gouge any one if they needed something.  He's just scared.

I tend to respond to people with quips like "I've had a good life", "I worth more dead than alive when you look at the insurance" and "burn brightly, die young", but I do understand that people do unexpected things when they get scared enough.  Most people will feel enough shame when the fear passes they don't need me to tell them what was wrong with what they did.

I'm glad everyone on this board it doing okay.  I pray you have what you need.  I trust you have people willing to help if you need it.  We all have to support each other or what good is any of it.

Hunker down, stay safe, help where you can.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?