Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain for a classic German Pils?  (Read 7855 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Grain for a classic German Pils?
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2021, 09:52:17 am »
Okay...

It comes down to these -
Avangard Premium Pils Malt
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt

If you were brewing a North German style beer, like a Bitburger, which malt would you choose?
And, would you use this for 100% of the grain bill?
I might add 10% Irecks Vienna.

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2021, 07:26:42 am »
Okay...

It comes down to these -

If you were brewing a North German style beer, like a Bitburger, which malt would you choose?

As stated prior bitburger uses 2 malts. Pils being one, and Vienna not being the other. They also malt their own grain so, can't answer that Pilsner question. Also they decoct.
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2021, 07:42:37 am »
Okay...

It comes down to these -

As stated prior bitburger uses 2 malts. Pils being one, and Vienna not being the other. They also malt their own grain so, can't answer that Pilsner question. Also they decoct.

Ok. The target is a classic Pale Bitter North German Pils. Not trying to clone Bitburger, just using that as an example. Veltins could be another example. Another good one is Krombacher, situated in Westfalia, using local soft low mineral mountain spring water.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 07:59:09 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2021, 12:57:57 pm »
I am not a fan of weyerman floor malted Pilsner. I like their other pils malt just fine. The floor malted has a flavor that reminds me of diacetyl. I know that sounds like a silly thing to say but I’ve brewed with it enough to pick out the flavor everytime.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2021, 02:38:36 pm »

actually bitburger is in the southern geographic 50% of germany and very close to belgium. maybe they are a belgian influenced style pilsner?

i kind of get belgian notes sometimes with them.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2021, 03:02:57 pm »

actually bitburger is in the southern geographic 50% of germany and very close to belgium. maybe they are a belgian influenced style pilsner?

Boy, I really doubt it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2021, 04:28:12 pm »

To be blunt, this is bizarre! I can't drink Belgian beer, but I can (and do) drink Bitburger! Not even close to anything Belgian. But...that's just me.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2021, 07:12:25 pm »
Here in Silicon Valley a Bitburger is the sandwich that the tech companies serve for lunch in the company cafeteria ;)
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2021, 07:29:10 pm »

To be blunt, this is bizarre! I can't drink Belgian beer, but I can (and do) drink Bitburger! Not even close to anything Belgian. But...that's just me.

to drink belgian beer, you pour it into a glass and hold the glass up to your lips.

bitburger is from maybe ~50km away from belgium and just 15km away from luxembourg.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2021, 08:20:20 pm »

to drink belgian beer, you pour it into a glass and hold the glass up to your lips.

bitburger is from maybe ~50km away from belgium and just 15km away from luxembourg.

Yes, we made the trip to Brussels. Went to a nice brewpub, sampled multiple beers. All drinkable. Not my favorite.

Offline hmbrw4life

• Cellarman
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2021, 06:50:12 am »
Okay...

It comes down to these -

Ok. The target is a classic Pale Bitter North German Pils. Not trying to clone Bitburger, just using that as an example. Veltins could be another example. Another good one is Krombacher, situated in Westfalia, using local soft low mineral mountain spring water.

None of those beers will use a single malt, or any Pils malt you can get. Also they are decocted  ;)

There's a theme here.
Science functions when theory correctly predicts the results of experiments.
Six Sigma in a former life. Retired in the current life.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2021, 08:44:39 am »
I think a simple grist comprised of 50% German Pils Malt and 50% German (or other continental origin) pale 2 row malt might be a reasonable starting point and then adjust by batch from there to get to your desired result.  I typically throw in some acidulated malt as part of the 2 row composition, for pH adjustment.  Decoction doesn't seem to make a huge difference in my experience, but others contend that it is vital.  Some add melanoiden malt, instead.

Good luck on your journey - I hope you experience good beer along the way, regardless of whether you get to the exact result you seek. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2021, 08:49:09 am »
Okay...

It comes down to these -

None of those beers will use a single malt, or any Pils malt you can get. Also they are decocted  ;)

There's a theme here.

Can you say which large industrial German brewers still decoct?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2021, 09:08:52 am »
I think the decoction conclusion is based on Bitburger's website which states the following relative to its mashing regime:

"Part of the mash is heated in a mash tun to fine-tune the flavour, colour and level of sweetness."

Perhaps that is just referencing a step mash, rather than a true decoction....I can't say that it is definitive by any means.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2021, 09:25:24 am »
I think the decoction conclusion is based on Bitburger's website which states the following relative to its mashing regime:

"Part of the mash is heated in a mash tun to fine-tune the flavour, colour and level of sweetness."

Perhaps that is just referencing a step mash, rather than a true decoction....I can't say that it is definitive by any means.

There are many references to breweries that don't decoct their light colored beer. Saves energy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!