Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain for a classic German Pils?  (Read 7851 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Grain for a classic German Pils?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2021, 11:38:34 am »

…There is a recipe for bitburger. …

IMO, Bit is Germany’s BMC. No thanks. There are much better regional/local brews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP literally mentioned Bit in the first post, hence the answer.
Absolutely. To each his own..

My son feels the same way I do. He said, “I’ve had beer that tastes like that before.”  When I told him I didn’t care for it he agreed. Just not my (our) thing. Some German beers are awesome. Some aren’t IMO.

I will try Best malts based on recommendations. I haven’t tried them yet.

Have you tried Bitburger on draft in Mainz, Germany? Or Frankfurt?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:42:37 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grain for a classic German Pils?
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2021, 01:27:33 pm »
Have you tried Bitburger of draft in Mainz, Germany? Or Frankfurt?
Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Darmstadt, and many, many other places over the six years I lived in Europe. Just not my favorite. Our sister unit was in Mainz-Finthen but I didn’t get up there much.

My favorite place was Woinemer Hausbrauerei, but there were many more regional/local breweries that were just as good.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 01:30:36 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2021, 07:13:41 pm »
Have you tried Bitburger of draft in Mainz, Germany? Or Frankfurt?
Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Darmstadt, and many, many other places over the six years I lived in Europe. Just not my favorite. Our sister unit was in Mainz-Finthen but I didn’t get up there much.

My favorite place was Woinemer Hausbrauerei, but there were many more regional/local breweries that were just as good.

Spent most of my time in Mainz. A nice family owned restaurant, the Brauhaus, was a very popular place for air crews. It was a brewery at one time. Bitburger was on tap there. It always tasted pretty good to us.

http://brauhauszursonne.de/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2021, 08:30:00 am »

IMO, Bit is Germany’s BMC. No thanks. There are much better regional/local brews.

My son feels the same way I do. He said, “I’ve had beer that tastes like that before.”  When I told him I didn’t care for it he agreed. Just not my (our) thing. Some German beers are awesome. Some aren’t IMO.

Ive had it in many places in Germany, including Bitburg.

My local place in Wiesbaden had 3 Pils on tap. After much sampling i h ad this ranking.
König>Bitburg>Warstweiner.
A fresh keg of König had such a wonderful aroma.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2021, 11:40:46 am »

My local place in Wiesbaden had 3 Pils on tap. After much sampling i h ad this ranking.

Had several local / regional beers while there. Veltins is another one that I found enjoyable. Can't say I had Konig on draft there, but smuggled it home on flights with me. Another good one is Licher. Smuggled this one home in 5 liter kegs.

While on the subject...I could never (never) find Becks on draft, in any bar, in any town in Germany.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:42:30 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2021, 02:46:10 pm »
Order placed -
55 lb bag Avangard Pils Malt.

I have been using Avangard for many years.  Mostly because it is the Pils malt that my go-to LHBS buys by the pallet. It is milder than Weyermann Pils.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grain for a classic German Pils?
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2021, 02:55:48 pm »

Had several local / regional beers while there. Veltins is another one that I found enjoyable. Can't say I had Konig on draft there, but smuggled it home on flights with me. Another good one is Licher. Smuggled this one home in 5 liter kegs.

While on the subject...I could never (never) find Becks on draft, in any bar, in any town in Germany.
+1. My favorite thing to do was go on folksmarches in local communities across Germany (West Germany at the time). Then, after conversations with the folks we met on the trails we would go into the recommended local establishments to sample the food and biers. The people, regional cuisine, and biers were a highlight of my European experience.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2021, 11:14:36 pm »
Bitburger is going to be a tough one to reproduce because you not only need to know the correct grainbill but also the hop blend they use which is unknown to anyone but the brewery as well the proper yeast strain which we can't get here. Your brewery and brewing skills will also need to be up to the challenge.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2021, 08:08:40 am »

Had it at a place named "Becks am Brunnen" in Wiesbaden. The beer didn't  stand up to the other industrial Pilsners in town. It was less appealing  than Radeburger.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2021, 06:01:04 pm »

Had it at a place named "Becks am Brunnen" in Wiesbaden. The beer didn't  stand up to the other industrial Pilsners in town. It was less appealing  than Radeburger.

Oh yes, Radenburger. That was on tap in the Hilton bar in Mainz. I drank it during Happy Hour, but was not impressed with it. To my palate, Bitburger was better.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2021, 08:00:16 pm »

Oh yes, Radenburger. That was on tap in the Hilton bar in Mainz. I drank it during Happy Hour, but was not impressed with it. To my palate, Bitburger was better.
It made a big introduction in Wiesbaden in 1998, as a brand from the former East Germany. I was a thing for 6 months or so. Too pedestrian.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2021, 10:29:31 pm »
My advice for a great german pils- sulfate to around 100-150ppm, and use the best quality noble type hops you can find, dont get hung up on varietal; Liberty,  or Mt Hood hops that are in great condition make a MUCH better beer than HMF thats in poor condition (and in my experience, homebrewers get shafted on the quality of alot of imported euro hops). and for the love of all that is holy DONT dry hop.
I have read not to use sulfates with Noble hops. (Never tried it myself) Interesting you found the opposite works. Cheers! 

That absolutely isn't my experience.  I make German pils a lot and my sulfate is usually in the 100-150 area.  I mean, that's what the Germans do, so I don't understand the recommendation to not do it.

Just checked, and my Sulfate is 58 ppm. Are you saying we need to add more?
CaCO3 = 113 (Total Hardness)
Ay. Up your sulfates. I’ve heard the whole “no sulfates with noble hops” but have yet to hear any good argument for that statement, and it completely contradicts my experience. I love a decent sulfate crispness in a lot of my beers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2021, 11:33:08 pm »
I’ve been happy with Weyermann Barke pils.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2021, 01:42:10 pm »
I’ve been happy with Weyermann Barke pils.
It’s my favorite too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2021, 04:34:36 pm »
We are happy with every grain we have tried, Irecks, Weyermann, Briess, etc.

They have all been very good.

TexMalt will be brewed with very soon!