Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Back-scratchers?  (Read 8884 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Back-scratchers?
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:03 pm »
Remember that idiot who went to jail for a hoax involving his kid and a balloon?  You know, balloon boy's dad?  You can get a back scratcher from him . . .

http://www.bearscratch.com/Default.asp
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2010, 10:19:18 pm »
Wonder if there are any back scratcher forums.

Why, did you want to talk about beer or something?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2010, 10:32:23 pm »
Remember that idiot who went to jail for a hoax involving his kid and a balloon?  You know, balloon boy's dad?  You can get a back scratcher from him . . .

Gotta pay for the bail bonds somehow...False reports to the fuzz and the $100K+ price tag for multi-county search and rescue efforts...

I was brewing the day he (his balloon) flew over my house. We only noticed the helicopters, several of them, and then the phone call came in. Friends family in Florida asking, "You watching the news?"

No, brewing. Why?...the rest is history.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2010, 11:55:21 pm »
...and the $100K+ price tag for multi-county search and rescue efforts...

When it was all unfolding- I sat riveted watching the tv- one of the experts said they don't charge for search and rescue because if they did it might discourage people from reporting real emergencies. True? I don't know but if they're being charged for it I guess it's warranted in this case!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2010, 12:54:24 am »

When it was all unfolding- I sat riveted watching the tv- one of the experts said they don't charge for search and rescue because if they did it might discourage people from reporting real emergencies. True? I don't know but if they're being charged for it I guess it's warranted in this case!
If the kid had actually been in the balloon or if he wasn't but they really believed her was I doubt they would have charged him the cost.  But when it's all a hoax?  Oh yeah, they want their money back.  They want you to report real emergencies, and don't want you to report fake ones.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2010, 12:58:03 am »
Poor family. Misguided father.

I remember thinking no way that kid will survive a crash landing. It was something to see. I'm glad it was all a hoax.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2010, 01:39:04 am »
I think, like a lot of people, I was both relieved and furious to find out it was all a hoax.   >:(
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 05:09:58 am »

Seriously?  Patent pending?  The dude is trying to patent a stick?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 05:20:13 am »
But it's a special stick.  It has attachments so you can put it on your wall!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2010, 05:41:14 am »

Seriously?  Patent pending?  The dude is trying to patent a stick?

...it takes all kinds.  :o

"My invention can detect human stupidity. It has a very simple interface.
 All I do is point it at people."
"Then what does it do?"
"Why would it need to do anything else?"
                        -- Dogbert, Dilbert, Dogbert

Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 10:06:15 am »
Stick on a wall.  Very clever.   ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2010, 11:30:58 pm »

If the kid had actually been in the balloon or if he wasn't but they really believed her was I doubt they would have charged him the cost.  But when it's all a hoax?  Oh yeah, they want their money back.  They want you to report real emergencies, and don't want you to report fake ones.

Yup, if you are in a legit need of public service they are there for you. If it is not legit you will get a bill for services rendered.

Out where I live there is a lot of farm land. Somewhat tight-knit. It turns out the field the balloon landed in,
had just been drilled (seeded) and was ready for the crop to start growing. With all the fire trucks, cop cars and foot
traffic, they trampled the heck out of it. I never found out if the field was a complete loss or if insurance
would cover balloon hoax, but my neighbors knew the farmer. I am going to ask what the end result was.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 11:42:55 pm »
Tight nit. I bet they are. ;) And I'd like to know if they were compensated too.

Haha I looked at that site. Sigh. Not impressed with the scratcher. Inconvenient really. What, am I going to mount it on my couch? ???

That dude looks a little raggedy. Puffy bags under his eyes. Bloated. Probably been drinking too much...