Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Back-scratchers?  (Read 8885 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Back-scratchers?
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:04:41 am »
I got this thin bamboo back scratcher a couple years back. Exactly the same as my granpa's- which my eldest brother "inherited". His is probably 60 years old now.

Anyhoo, this thing probably cost $1.50 and it has been one of the best Christmas presents I've ever received. Certainly the most valued. My couch ate it for six months and not knowing where it had gone thought someone had stolen it... Feel bad about that.

Web search be damned I couldn't find this particular scratcher.  ???

Anyway. I wasn't impressed with what I saw online. But it may be a thing of personal preference.

This thing looks dangerous:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Back-scratchers?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:36:42 am »
Be careful scratching too low down your back...you might hang yourself up with that thing.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:08:09 pm »
Just brew it...

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:43:23 pm »
@dhacker - LOL

I inherited one from my wife's Granddad, It was made of bamboo and it split widthwise down the length.
If that makes sense. As if the laminate separated...

It was awesome. I havent seen a good one since, either.

Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 12:40:11 am »
What I'm talking about is similar to this but with out the design on the shaft. And the flattened part at the other end is shorter.

I want to get about 75 of these and give them out during Christmas time to the folks at work. Then when they are scratching their backs they'll be thinking of me... nice thoughts... Good karma.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:07:37 am »
Yeah, I have a couple like that at home with a much simpler shaft (just a thin piece of bamboo).  I picked them up at the dollar store a couple years back.  I love it.  My 7 year old daughter took the second one and claimed it for her own - I've caught her using it to fish her brother's toys out from under the couch - clever girl (as long as she doesn't use Daddy's  ;D )
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 06:50:25 am »
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:58:35 am »
"Butt scratcha!" - Peter Griffin
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 08:42:36 am »
LMAO!!!

I have that exact one. I find it's the perfect size and shape to use as a nut scratcher.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:45:12 am »
LMAO!!!

I have that exact one. I find it's the perfect size and shape to use as a nut scratcher.

:o

;D
Ron Price

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:58:22 am »
What I'm talking about is similar to this but with out the design on the shaft. And the flattened part at the other end is shorter.

I want to get about 75 of these and give them out during Christmas time to the folks at work. Then when they are scratching their backs they'll be thinking of me... nice thoughts... Good karma.

We have one similar to this.  Mostly, the kids use it as a weapon or they leave it laying everywhere for me to step on.  I've never seen anyone scratch their back with it.

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 09:54:03 am »
How about this one for double duty! Can you use the others as a mash paddle?

Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 10:25:34 am »
+1 to Steve for multitasking!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 12:36:45 pm »
-1 for brewing with back hair.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 04:23:13 pm »

That is the one. Except for the decorative carving.

-1 for brewing with back hair.

That is not a sweater.... :o
Ruben * Colorado :)