Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Software  (Read 17585 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Brewing Software
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 02:00:23 pm »
As the author of many of the updates available on the BeerSmith site, specifically what are you talking about.
Given the specific information it is not difficult to add updates.  Finding the info was the difficult part

I'd be happy to send you my requests/suggestions by PM.
I don't want forum members to think I'm fault-finding BeerSmith.  That is not the intent.
I actually like it and use it--I just think some things could be better.

Exactly. The people offering suggestions are doing this on behalf of a product they like. The "other" machine I'm running it on is a MacBook where I'm running it under VMWare... and it's the only reason I ever launch VMWare.  :) I just used Beersmith today to scale up a recipe, calculate priming sugar for a batch I'm bottling, record notes in the brew log for said batch, and calculate a hydrometer reading (factoring in for temp). It's a very smart, well-rounded product; there are just some things some of us would like to see in 1.5.

And now back to cleaning West Coast Blaster off the kitchen floor (this batch is so tasty I was tempted just to lick the floor clean :) ).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline The Rabid Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 02:59:47 pm »
I've got the strike water quantity calculated but I don't see an option to calculate the sparge water volume and temp.  I'm batch sparging btw.
This is one of the things BeerSmith could do better, IMHO. As someone already mentioned, you set up your mash / sparge in the mash profile tab. To see how much sparge water you'll actually need (what beersmith calculates), you'll then need to switch views to the brew sheet.
BetterBeerBlog Homebrew Contributor.

Offline The Rabid Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 03:02:51 pm »
wouldn't it be nice if beersmith actually released an update with all the new malts, yeasts and hops in it?

The nice thing about BeerSmith is that you don't need a program update to update just ingredients lists. I believe the community is working on a lot of those things and you can probably find that information on the BeerSmith site or in the forum over there.

I personally don't find it lacking in too many places, and copying an existing ingredient (I added a couple of the seasonal yeasts I've used recently) to create a new one is pretty simple.

Offline The Rabid Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 03:05:38 pm »
I don't want forum members to think I'm fault-finding BeerSmith ...I just think some things could be better.

I hope I don't sound like I'm pimping BeerSmith, I don't have any affiliation, I just use it a lot.

Anyway, supposedly Brad is working on a major update to be available later this year.

Offline The Rabid Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 03:07:43 pm »
i use beersmith on the pc and my favorite for my iphone is brew pal

At one point the author of BrewPal told me it was going to support BeerXML in a future version. That would allow you to transfer recipes between BeerSmith and BrewPal.  That was a while ago though, so not sure what happened with that.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 03:53:53 pm »
i use beersmith on the pc and my favorite for my iphone is brew pal

At one point the author of BrewPal told me it was going to support BeerXML in a future version. That would allow you to transfer recipes between BeerSmith and BrewPal.  That was a while ago though, so not sure what happened with that.

Just checked the site: "BeerXML import and export is coming soon in version 1.7! " That would be really valuable. BrewPal is amazing, especially for the price. Oh, and kudos for Beersmith for supporting BeerXML in the first place, not only for the long-term preservation issues related to content creation but also for supporting and promoting open standards.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline bigfatjoey

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 03:20:53 pm »
So I'm getting kinda lost.

What programs are compatible for Mac?  Beer Tools Pro is all that I see yall talking about.
Ol' Edge Brew  -  Brewed and Enjoyed with Friends

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »
Not much out there,  BeerSmith 2.0 (late this year) will support the MAC
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline airlocksniffer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 02:44:58 pm »
For Mac I use Beer Alchemy.  Has a nice iPod companion program that wirelessly syncs with your main database.

www.kentplacesoftware.com

Offline bigfatjoey

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 09:09:49 pm »
BeerSmith 2.0 (late this year) will support the MAC

Do you know when.  I've used and like beersmith, but I'm not really in the mood for waiting.
Ol' Edge Brew  -  Brewed and Enjoyed with Friends

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 07:27:07 am »
BeerSmith 2.0 (late this year) will support the MAC

Do you know when.  I've used and like beersmith, but I'm not really in the mood for waiting.
Sorry, no specific dates yet
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 07:34:21 am »

Sure hope you don't use ProMash, hasn't everyone been waiting like 10 years for an update on that one?
Joe

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 07:43:54 am »
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=3066.0

Don't own a Mac, but I don't think anyone should be shut out from great brewing software ( even if they do own a silly computer :) )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43:03 am »

Sure hope you don't use ProMash, hasn't everyone been waiting like 10 years for an update on that one?

I've used Promash for over 10 years, but I'm not waiting for an update.  There's nothing more that I need it to do than it already does.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 06:21:24 pm »
For Mac I use Beer Alchemy.  Has a nice iPod companion program that wirelessly syncs with your main database.

www.kentplacesoftware.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I see it supports BeerXML, too.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member