Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black Ale recipe  (Read 37631 times)

Offline stellaandstout

• 1st Kit
Black Ale recipe
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:17:13 pm »
Hello I am looking for a all grain black ale recipe.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Black Ale recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:36:04 pm »
There're a couple clone recipes here.

http://byo.com/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/2072-birth-of-a-new-style-cascadian-dark-ale

It's basicallly an APA or an IPA recipe with a small addition of carafa or a similiar dark malt used to darken the beer.
Ron Price

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:41:17 pm »
He said black ale, not stupid named rip off of an east coast style ale.  That "Cascadian Dark Ale" crap can take a hike.  

There's some pretty decent looking 1554 clone recipes kicking around somewhere...can't seem to find them at the moment.

Sorry Bluesman, no hostility towards you, I just hate that whole "Cascadian Dark Ale" business....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:43:03 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:38 pm »
Here's my 1554 clone recipe.  I got assistance from the guys at New Belgium on this one.  I've yet to brew it, but I'm thinkin' it's pretty close.  And yes, the guy insisted on quite a lot of carapils.

1554 clone
Schwarzbier (Black Beer)

Type: All Grain
 Date: 2/13/2010
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
 Brewer: Jesse
Boil Size: 6.74 gal Asst Brewer:  
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: RadaR's Brewery  
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:  

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.73 %
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.55 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
0.25 lb Debittered black malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.1 IBU
2 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.90 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 32.6 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint
Est Color: 22.3 SRM Color: Color  

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.75 lb
Sparge Water: 4.09 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 17.19 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F  

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Jesse

Offline stellaandstout

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:56:54 pm »
Thanks beersk and bluesman, I will give that one a shot. One question can I use a ale yeast instead of the lager yeast.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:17 pm »
I think I will give that 1554 a shot some time and see how it stax up....thank you
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 01:52:50 am »
Also, you could brew any schwarzbier recipe with US-05 and get a black ale out of it.

If it's a Black IPA you're looking for, I would recommend this general grain bill:

6 gal recipe (bc the hops will absorb a half gallon or so of the wort)

10-12 lbs US 2-row
1-2 lbs Munich 10L
1 lb Crystal 40-60L
1.5 lb Carafa Special II (added at sparge)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:47:54 am »
Thanks beersk and bluesman, I will give that one a shot. One question can I use a ale yeast instead of the lager yeast.

You certainly could do that.  It won't taste like 1554, but it'll still be good I'm sure.  They've specified that they use a lager yeast fermented at ale temps.  I heard it was the Bohemian Lager yeast.  But 1554 is one damn fine beer, I must say.
Jesse

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 09:41:08 am »
He said black ale, not stupid named rip off of an east coast style ale.  That "Cascadian Dark Ale" crap can take a hike.  

There's some pretty decent looking 1554 clone recipes kicking around somewhere...can't seem to find them at the moment.

Sorry Bluesman, no hostility towards you, I just hate that whole "Cascadian Dark Ale" business....

Why so hostile?  It's just beer.

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 10:39:27 am »
I've tried to look at all the info on this style lately, and man is it a contentious topic! Not just regards what defines the style, but what to "officially" call it!
All sides have made some reasonable arguments, to wit:

-  It was "born" in Vermont, so a nod to that fact should be made
-  It primarily uses hops from the Pacific Northwest, i.e. Cascadia, so that should be part of its name
-  American Brown Ale used to be called "Texas Brown Ale," so any "new" style should lose its regional link as well, so call it "American Black Ale"
-  For purposes of the BJCP style designations, it needs a name to aid competition directors with placing it in flights where several subcategories and "lumped" together

What a mess!
I think one thing is clear: it IS a style that's here to stay. Seems its been around since the mid-eighties; the recent explosion of its popularity is no doubt tied to the very healthy craft-brewing culture we are now blessed with.

I think competition-entering brewers should be happy if the style is honored with it's own BJCP sub-style: a slight error in brewing or recipe formulation and you have an American Stout entry!

PS: I live in Savannah, Georgia...I understand "rivalries" -- such as SEC football -- and "regional hostilities" -- Damn Yankee invaders! -- so I'm not surprised to see some "vested interests" and "mild hostility" arise when it comes to naming this beast.

Ain't it a shame we can't just sit down and ply each other with our homebrews and discuss a solution? We could at least catch a good buzz while disagreeing...and who has a problem with a good buzz?

John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »
He said black ale, not stupid named rip off of an east coast style ale.  That "Cascadian Dark Ale" crap can take a hike. 

Why so hostile?  It's just beer.

I know, I didn't mean to be so hostile, but firm.  Cascadian Dark Ale just plain sounds stupid.  India Black Ale or India Dark Ale sounds much better, because not all dark IPAs are going to be made with American C hops from the Northwest.  Why should it be limited to one region of the US that obviously is trying to claim it as their original style, when it is not?

I made one of these myself and they're tasty, but never will I call it Cascadian Dark Ale, just like the Sears Tower is still the Sears Tower, not Willis Tower.
Jesse

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 06:16:49 am »
beersk may have some anger issues to deal with, but i do think he's got a good point on the naming of the style.  my local pub has been making a "black IPA"  for quite some time and i live in holland, mi.  i agree it should be called an "india black ale".

he he. if it's made with cannibis could it be called an "indica pale (or black) ale"?   ;)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 06:53:29 am »
beersk may have some anger issues to deal with, but i do think he's got a good point on the naming of the style.  my local pub has been making a "black IPA"  for quite some time and i live in holland, mi.  i agree it should be called an "india black ale".

he he. if it's made with cannibis could it be called an "indica pale (or black) ale"?   ;)
New Holland's Black IPA is one of the few that I've had and I enjoyed it.  Just a little roasty.  I recently had the Black
Watch IPA (supposedly the first black IPA) at the Vermont Pub and Brewery, which they had on cask.  It tasted almost like a hoppy dry American stout.  Overwhelmingly roasty and very bitter.  I thought for a sec that they had served me the wrong beer because the other cask had an Oatmeal Stout on, so I tried it again the next day.  Wow.  Too roasty for me.  Way different than any of the other black IPA's I've had.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 08:10:08 am »

I've never been the most subtle at getting my point across but I'm workin' on it.  What a wonderful life it would be if we were all the people we strive to be so early on in life...
Jesse

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 11:28:18 am »

I've never been the most subtle at getting my point across but I'm workin' on it.  What a wonderful life it would be if we were all the people we strive to be so early on in life...

No worries dude.