Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fruit... pathetic  (Read 13706 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Fruit... pathetic
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 11:56:40 pm »
I beg to differ about fructose. Again because it is so readily absorbed by the body that it causes a massive insulin spike. It is not a low glycimic food. Just because it comes in a fruit package doesn't automatically make it one of the healthiest.  Sucrose is marginally better.

Individuals need more complex carbohydrates on a consistent basis than they need fructose.

So, I'm on a beer board and I'm being told fruit is bad for me.
Watermelon has a GI of 72 and chocolate cake 38; therefore chocolate cake is better for me.
I think a big part of the equation is missing, don't you agree?

This thread is all screwy anyway - cap claims to have had enough MEAT up in him to host a barbeque.  
:P  (need puking smiley)

Actually, I was wrong about fruit not being low glycimic. I apologize.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 05:15:48 am »
I had what was pretty much a blocked colon but the "5lbs of meat by by 50" actually is an urban myth that start with a line in the movie Beverly Hills Cop.  ;D

Ever had a colonoscopy? What a blast!

Meat sack come from the movie MIB.

Fruit is bad for you?  You guys are funny. That is even harder to believe than my stuffed bowel. I know some fruit is just water and fiber with very little vitamins like ice berg lettuce.   

So we should avoid fruit to be healthier?

You guys are gonna end up with leaky gut syndrome.  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:28:29 am by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:43 am »
Individuals need more complex carbohydrates on a consistent basis than they need fructose.

That's why I drink beer on a consistent basis. To get that healthy dose of residual complex carbs that wouldn't ferment. I think I need to raise my mash temp a few degrees ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2010, 07:47:22 am »
It never fails...bluefoxiciy's threads are always entertaining and draw a big crowd.  ;)

I'm having a banana for breakfast. Love nanners.  8)
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 04:27:39 pm »
...We evolved past eating only meat...

'We' never ate only, or even primarily meat. While there was a related species of hominid that looked a lot like our ancestors that was nearly carnivorous, our ancestors have been omnivorous for ever. Look at chimps. In fact evolutionarily speaking we ate mostly plant foods cause they are easier to catch.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 04:57:57 pm »
...We evolved past eating only meat...

'We' never ate only, or even primarily meat. While there was a related species of hominid that looked a lot like our ancestors that was nearly carnivorous, our ancestors have been omnivorous for ever. Look at chimps. In fact evolutionarily speaking we ate mostly plant foods cause they are easier to catch.
As the joke goes, "what do you mean 'we' kemosabe?"

The arctic peoples eat (or ate) a diet that is mostly meat/fat.  I don't know the percentages or anything, but it's hard to imagine growing corn on the tundra.  :)

That doesn't change your point, but it's an exception.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 05:57:14 pm »
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. What about the ice age that wasnt exactly one year long.

I am a welder not an anthropologist but in my imagination early humans and other hominids were opportunists and no doubt before cooking most vegetables may have seemed or may have actually been inedible without proper preparation. .

I am from the side of the debate that most early humans were carnivores. Once they mastered the spear there was not much more reason to forage for leaves or bugs.

But for sure we have evolved past that. I have heard people say that you can live on meat alone, "it has everything your body needs" Im sure you could live on meat alone.Im just not sure how long.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:00:14 pm by capozzoli »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 06:37:37 pm »
If you eat a variety of foods within and among groups – meat, dairy, fruit, vegetables, and grains – you don't have to worry about nutritional details. As long as calories are adequate and the foods are relatively unprocessed, the different kinds of foods complement each other's nutrient contents and provide everything that is needed in reasonable amounts and proportions.

From the vegetarian point of view.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/blogs/healthy-food/healthy-vegan-diets-47020801

Ron Price

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2010, 06:54:40 pm »
Ha! Check that out.

bluesman
Global Moderator
Denny's Fully Embraced His Dark Posting Side

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 06:58:55 pm »
 ;D

Looks like a little glitch in the system.
Ron Price

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 07:29:24 pm »
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. What about the ice age that wasnt exactly one year long.

I am a welder not an anthropologist but in my imagination early humans and other hominids were opportunists and no doubt before cooking most vegetables may have seemed or may have actually been inedible without proper preparation. .

I am from the side of the debate that most early humans were carnivores. Once they mastered the spear there was not much more reason to forage for leaves or bugs.

But for sure we have evolved past that. I have heard people say that you can live on meat alone, "it has everything your body needs" Im sure you could live on meat alone.Im just not sure how long.
One of the most interesting things about early hominid history is the symbiotic relationship between our diet and our brains. I read once that our brains were able to develop by leaps and bounds due to the high fat content of the diet that our early ancestors enjoyed, and the bigger our brains got, the better we became at finding the fat.

Of course, it was our omnivorous ability and blatent opportunism that got us through the rough patches, but in general it was having the right teeth and the right brains in the right place at the right time that eventually landed a couple of naked pink monkeys on the moon.

As for how long you can survive on meat, the anthropologic answer is "long enough." Which is to say that if I were a member of a primitive tribe, I'd have one foot in the grave right now - if I was very lucky.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:34:21 pm by MrNate »
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »
;D

Looks like a little glitch in the system.
It's not a bug, it's a feature  ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 08:22:53 pm »
As for how long you can survive on meat, the anthropologic answer is "long enough."
Yeah, 20 years old is old enough to have a few kids and raise them a bit before you die.  If you hit 25 you might be a grandfather back then, and by 30 for sure.  I'm guessing, I'm not an anthropologist either :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 04:46:48 pm »

Evolution of the beer drinker.

Here is an interesting article. Not sure I agree with all of it though.

http://www.coconutstudio.com/skull&bonesx.htm

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:50:29 pm by capozzoli »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 09:43:17 am »
As the joke goes, "what do you mean 'we' kemosabe?"

The arctic peoples eat (or ate) a diet that is mostly meat/fat.  I don't know the percentages or anything, but it's hard to imagine growing corn on the tundra.  :)

That doesn't change your point, but it's an exception.

True, there are exceptions. and the arctic peoples are a good one although that is a marginal envoroment and the diet consists of a lot of fish. as someone else pointed out, also not the route to a long life. And it is true that during the ice age 'our' (read central northern hemisphere folks) ate a lot more meat we still had access to a lot of grains and fruit/veg. they weren't living ON the ice. There had to be plant food in abundance otherwise the critters wouldn't have been so darn big. 

I say if you enjoy meat, are willing to take the life of another mammal or an insect or whatever (I kill TONS of plants, or just eat their children) and are willing to deal with the potential health risks. Go for it, eat them critters.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce