Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chimay  (Read 7658 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Chimay
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:59:12 am »
I splurge on a a bottle of Chimay fairly frequently. I like the Red though they're all interesting and good or great usually. The last bottle of Red was freakin fan-tastic.

Nutty, a bit hoppy and malty. Clean tasting and in balance. It was like falling in love again.

Tonight the bottle's like a nasty ex-girlfriend. :-X Metallic throughout. Sour. Astringent.

I remember when the Red was less than $6. Now it's $12. And it's never consistent. Maybe it's me but that's my experience.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Chimay
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:07:49 am »
I've had similar experiences.  I won't buy it anymore unless it's on tap, and usually the places that have it on tap have morew interesting beers for me to drink anyway.   :-\

When it's good though, it's really good.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:23:08 am »
Chimay Cinq Cents!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline anthayes

• 1st Kit
    • HayesenBrau
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 03:34:04 am »
I've had similar experiences.  I won't buy it anymore unless it's on tap, and usually the places that have it on tap have morew interesting beers for me to drink anyway.   :-\

You need to move to Europe. I have never had a bad Chimay and drink plenty of them.

Life without Chimay would be diminished.

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent
Soek jy die oerkroeg se bier

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:52:04 am »
What's funny is Chimay was the first beer which was distributed when we changed the laws in NC and upped the ABV percentage. Because it was first on the market it went in everywhere. I can get it at almost every grocery store. So one day I have to drive at least 3 hours to get it and the next it's 5 minutes away.

I've always found it to be pretty consistent, but I don't often reach out for a bottle...YMMV
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 06:35:19 am »
gods beer.

Sweet elixir of life.

I had one on tap last night for the first time, then the second, third (blur).....Im not sure how I got home and I cant find my truck.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:13:40 am »

You need to move to Europe. I have never had a bad Chimay and drink plenty of them.
Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent

Preach on brother, preach on :D

I'm  often asked `is the beer really better in Belgium, short reply is a solid YES! put a six pack in your car for a couple months, then compare to a fresh bottle and see for yourself. ;)

Offline punatic

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:48:27 am »
I'm  often asked `is the beer really better in Belgium, short reply is a solid YES! put a six pack in your car for a couple months, then compare to a fresh bottle and see for yourself. ;)

You've hit upon why I started brewing.  My parents lived in Bavaria for eight years during the '80s.  I would go to visit them and drink the local Bayerisch weissbier.  Awesome!  Everything I found in the States was old and nasty; a total waste of money. 

So I started brewing my own.  It took a while to get it right.  Those banana and bubblegum-like phenols were tough to emulate back then. But, even my first attempt at a weissbier was ten times better than the stale stuff I found on the shelf.  Weissbier is definetly one style of beer where the local brewey has the home field advantage.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 09:54:29 am »
I luv a good Chimay red every once in a while ;D  I've never had a bad one, but i have another question.  Does Chimay still use their fermenting yeast for bottling?  I was thinking of making a starter from one.
Dan Chisholm

Offline punatic

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 09:56:38 am »
Has anybody else noticed that they use Chimay bottles for whiskey bottles on the TV series Deadwood?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 10:21:34 am »
Does Chimay still use their fermenting yeast for bottling?  I was thinking of making a starter from one.

AFAIK, yes.  As Stan pointed out in BLAM, with so much of the fermentation strain around, it doesn't make sense to use a different yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01:28 pm »
I'm beginning to think that it how the Chimay is handled. The last awesome one was out of the cooler at Central Market where there's a "beer expert" on hand. The one last night was a warm one from a dusty shelf above my head and god only knows (and the stocker) how long it's been there.

But... I've had good ones off that shelf before.

I'll still buy it (sigh) because when it's good it's something else altogether and inspirational. I'm gonna buy a couple of the small bottles today from the fancy beer store and see.

It's like a bad relationship. Just keep going back for more...

BTW, I think the brewery uses malt extract and hop extract?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 01:02:51 pm »
Really like their beers.  I like the red best.  Can't say I have ever had a bad beer from this brewery.
Authentic Trappist Products at their best IMO.
Ron Price

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 02:24:04 pm »
I luv a good Chimay red every once in a while ;D  I've never had a bad one, but i have another question.  Does Chimay still use their fermenting yeast for bottling?  I was thinking of making a starter from one.

Isn't it Wyeast 1214?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 02:51:47 pm »

Isn't it Wyeast 1214?

Yep.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell