Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I feel guilty  (Read 4329 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
I feel guilty
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:51:35 am »
A friend of a friend of a friend is starting to brew, and wanted a corny keg.  As I just picked up a bunch of single handed ones (Thanks Tom) and he wanted one to trade for "an old keg he had laying around" I decided to do so, as it would be good to have an extra if ever needed. 

When he stopped by to do the trade, he pulls this virtually brand new sankey keg out of his trunk.  I mean, brand fr eaking new.  And, from a brewery I have much respect for.  I certainly cannot keep this.  But, don't know what to do, or how to return it. 

Any ideas?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: I feel guilty
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:52:38 am »
I'll PM you Mic.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:01:18 am »
That's a tough one.

How did he get the keg?
Ron Price

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:24:51 am »
That's a tough one.

How did he get the keg?

I don't know, don't even know his name.  Just one of those chance encounters.  I did tell him a HBC is meeting this Sunday, and the web address to get the details.  If he shows, I'll find out more.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »
Good luck.  I might look into it more too, but he traded you...an exchange is an exchange.
Jesse

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 02:54:03 pm »
Good luck.  I might look into it more too, but he traded you...an exchange is an exchange.

Sure it is, but when you exchange for stolen merchandise, it's still wrong.

I have a connection to one of the owners of Alaskan, I'm gonna try contact her, and see how I can return it to her.  Although I'm in Western Washington.  The local distributor basically called me a thief.  I wont deal with them.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 03:28:18 pm »
The local distributor basically called me a thief.  I wont deal with them.

Now he's just being silly.  If you were a thief, why would you be going out of your way to return it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline marty

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:40:26 pm »
I have a connection to one of the owners of Alaskan, I'm gonna try contact her, and see how I can return it to her.  Although I'm in Western Washington.  The local distributor basically called me a thief.  I wont deal with them.

Can you return it to any liquor store for the deposit, or does it have to be the store it was bought from?

The deposit would give you enough money to buy another corny, and returning it would get the keg back to the brewery

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:19:18 pm »

Can you return it to any liquor store for the deposit, or does it have to be the store it was bought from?

The deposit would give you enough money to buy another corny, and returning it would get the keg back to the brewery

While liquor stores don't sell kegs in my state, I may just bring it back to one of the taverns.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 02:30:24 am »
It looks to me like you should have given your friend a keg and refused the sankey. Or maybe since he lied to you quashed the deal.

My 2 cents.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:26:34 am »
It looks to me like you should have given your friend a keg and refused the sankey. Or maybe since he lied to you quashed the deal.

My 2 cents.

You're right. That would have been the right thing to do. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 08:33:57 am »
I didn't think about the possibility it was stolen. That sucks!  Hope you get it sorted out, man.
Jesse

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 08:47:20 am »
I didn't think about the possibility it was stolen. That sucks!  Hope you get it sorted out, man.

What I'm saying is cutting up a perfectly good keg, that obviously still belongs to the brewery is stealing.  The $40 is a deposit, one is not purchasing the keg, and free to do as they will with it.  To not return it, is to steal.  IMHO.

Espcially as new as this one is.  I bet it's the first fill.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 08:53:18 am »
Why not just call the guy and explain the situation to him? Get your corny back and explain to him how expensive these kegs are and how a $40 deposit doesn't even begin to cover the cost of the keg, how breweries have to charge mroe for their beer to cover stolen kegs and how it puts a financial strain, especially on small breweries. I bet the guy has no idea that the keg he had was technically stolen. That's what I would do at this point.

narvin

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 10:33:34 am »
I still think the stupid deposit CREATES this problem.  When I rent a DVD, or even a rental car, and don't return it, they don't keep $40 from me.  They charge my credit card, or come after me.  You have to have ID to get beer anyway, so why can't they verify and record your personal info when you order a keg?  Almost everything else where you pay a deposit you are essentially buying the product if you don't return it.  The mixed message here pisses me off, and while I would never take a keg from a brewery I respect because I know they lose money on it in the current system, I don't see how it can legally be called stealing.

I assume distributors don't want to bother with collecting money for unreturned kegs, because they have the breweries bent over a barrel thanks to all the liquor regulations.  The result is that the brewery has to eat it. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:42:56 am by narvin »