Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watcha plantin' this spring?  (Read 29409 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Watcha plantin' this spring?
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:10:32 am »
It's getting near that time of year when I need to put on the Wellies and make sure the rototiller is still working. What are you planning on doing in your garden/fire escape/desktop this year?

We claimed some land next to the railroad (space that's typically common-law'd into gardening space for village residents), 50 feet x 35 feet plot for us. There are lots of gardens all around that are about the same size and almost all the space is claimed, but we're taking an area that's overgrown with lots of God-knows-what. Wish I had a brush hog.

Plans are as follows: clear the land, put down paving stones and a small tin-roof shed, get a water collector and some simple drip irrigation set up, build two hop trelli (treillisisis?), build a porch swing, then do some plantin':

Cascade, Centennial, Hallertauer something hops, 2-row barley (1m x 4m patch, just an experiment), Carrots, Three sisters (sweet corn, pole beans, acorn and summer squash), lots of tomatoes, lots of eggplant, "vertical" potatoes (make a cylinder out of bailing wire and 1x2 supports, keep raising the soil level as the plants grow = small footprint with lots of yield), jalapenos, pumpkin, and then line the walkway with lavender, sage, rosemary, thyme.

LOTS of work but I told my wife if she lets me get a deep freezer I'll make sure we have vegetables to put in it.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Watcha plantin' this spring?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:27:53 am »
After the last decade of my 1/4 acre garden drying up every year due to drought I have swore never to go to that trouble again.

That being said, it will consist of the usual corn, squash, peppers, cukes, onions, turnips, collards, mustard, etc...

This year going to add about 6 each of Zinfandel and muscadine vines. Going to set these up w/drip irrigation. 
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:48:18 am »
We moved 2 years ago, after doing a small organic garden (approx 25x25) for many years at the old place. The new house has a MUCH smaller yard, and our 80 dog has the run of most of it. I am considering doing some container plantings (she'd run over and destroy any ground or raised bed plantings). Thinking about hot peppers, arugula, tomatoes, some herbs, etc. No firm plans yet, but thanks for the question. It should spur me to do some research & make some decisions.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:31 am »
After the last decade of my 1/4 acre garden drying up every year due to drought I have swore never to go to that trouble again.

That being said, it will consist of the usual corn, squash, peppers, cukes, onions, turnips, collards, mustard, etc...

This year going to add about 6 each of Zinfandel and muscadine vines. Going to set these up w/drip irrigation. 

I'm curious as to what sort of system you use with the drip irrigation. We don't have a water supply other than the gravity-fed water barrels, and I was thinking about building a small actuator to attach between the spigot and the hose, adding a solar panel for power and a really basic arduino-like controller for the timer. Do you know of anything like that that already exists?
----

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:03:18 am »
I'm still trying to mostly get perennials in, as this means less work in the future. Even so, this would mean I will miss some good annuals so some will go in. The plan this year is to do some different kinds of beans, some broccoli and squash.

I also want to get some new varieties of hops in, but can't make my mind up which varieties to go for.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:08:13 am »

no 'maters?  would have thought everyone's "usual" would include 'maters.
Joe

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 09:19:00 am »
I have ordered up a bunch of Asparagus crowns. I have built a nice deep asparagus bed and lined it with
weed barrier to keep out the roots of the field bindweed.  In a couple three years, should be a great thing.

Then we will plant some Yellow Pear tomatoes, maybe a roma.  Some lettuce leaf.
Some yellow crookneck summer squash and some zuchinni.  We love peppas but the season just isn't long enuff.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:04 am »

I'm curious as to what sort of system you use with the drip irrigation. We don't have a water supply other than the gravity-fed water barrels, and I was thinking about building a small actuator to attach between the spigot and the hose, adding a solar panel for power and a really basic arduino-like controller for the timer. Do you know of anything like that that already exists?

This is the system I'll be using: http://www.iriso.fr/uk/ Anybody use it before? It's pretty cheap! http://www.amazon.fr/o/ASIN/B00374J3YU?tag=betteraddons-20
----

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:42:09 am »

This is the system I'll be using: http://www.iriso.fr/uk/ Anybody use it before? It's pretty cheap! http://www.amazon.fr/o/ASIN/B00374J3YU?tag=betteraddons-20

I'm looking at this source

http://www.dripirrigation.com/
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:42:50 am »

no 'maters?  would have thought everyone's "usual" would include 'maters.

Oh yes. 'Maters, plenty of 'maters.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 09:47:05 am »

Oooh, that's exactly what I need... Can each dripper be controlled, or is it all at a set rate?
----

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 10:34:27 am »
I believe each dripper can be a different rate. one @ 1 gal/hr for one type plant and another @ 1/2 gal/hr for another...all on the same line. The systems seems to be very customizable.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:55:34 am »
For annuals we'll have a bunch of different tomatoes and hot peppers, as usual.  Someone gave me a bhut jolokia (hottest pepper in the world) starter kit, so I'm excited to see if they'll grow and fruit here in our short growing season.  We'll also plant some pole beas, peas, carrots, and a few other things that aren't determined yet.  The leeks and garlic are already in the ground. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:16:03 am »
I did container planting last year. In the drought/heat conditions it was a real PITA with no drip system. A big wind would knock down all my tomatoes. My yield was pretty decent despite that and the pests and birds.

This year it will be raised beds. I hope to try a dripper system.

Tomatoes, serranos, jalapenos, poblano, cucumbers, bush beans, corn and maybe some greens. I was able to successfully sprout and grow chili petins last year. They said it couldn't be done but the secret is heat. :D They'll only germinate in very warm conditions.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:37 pm »

Oooh, that's exactly what I need... Can each dripper be controlled, or is it all at a set rate?

Gravity fed system for rain barrels:

http://www.dripirrigation.com/drip_irrigation_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1075