Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watcha plantin' this spring?  (Read 29410 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Watcha plantin' this spring?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 04:03:33 pm »
Say, I don't suppose I could get you to mail me a few packets of poblano, serrano and jalapeno seeds? I can't find them here, at least not anywhere that looks reputable.
My inlaws have tried growing peppers in France.  They won't grow outdoors because of the short, cool growing season, but maybe if you give them a good start indoors and get them in the ground as early as possible they may work.
If it's a big problem then don't put them in the ground at all, just grow them in containers.  Peppers do really well that way.  And don't put them out too early, you have to wait for it to be warm enough or they will get stunted and be even more delayed.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 05:22:21 pm »
The usual. Tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zuchini, green beans, cabbage, lettuce, an assortment of peppers and this year I want to plant some asparagas.

Oh...I can't forget the fresh herbs. Parsley, dill, oregeno, cilantro, etc...
Ron Price

boulderbrewer

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 08:12:38 pm »
Corky try some animals like chickens,turkeys or ducks for grasshopper control. the only thing we won't try to grow are habeneros got plenty last year for the next couple years. We are going to incorperate the turkeys in the garden but will have to keep the real garden fenced in to prevent damage. Here is to hoping that the broilers and the turkeys turn over the soil in the rest of the area.

I almost forgot Blueberries starting a half dozen plants hopefully they with take in the frozen tundra. Blueberry wine yummmm!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 11:41:32 pm »
Well if we're including our annuals . . . black currants, blueberries, concord grapes, kiwis, apple, sour cherry, asian plum, fig, hops (cascade, tetts, and goldings), rosemary, thyme, oregano, winter savory, mint, tarragon.  I think that's it.  Do heather and juniper count if I use them to brew? :)  Oh, and I'll plant some basil.  And I need to replace a rhubarb.  And I might get a pear or nectarine tree, more grapes, maybe some sea buckthorn and some filberts.  Or I might wait a year on those.

I'm thinking about making a beer with whole douglas fir trees instead of juniper.  They sprout like weeds, I think I could use 10 or 20 in the mash tun to filter. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 11:46:51 pm »
Say, I don't suppose I could get you to mail me a few packets of poblano, serrano and jalapeno seeds? I can't find them here, at least not anywhere that looks reputable.
My inlaws have tried growing peppers in France.  They won't grow outdoors because of the short, cool growing season, but maybe if you give them a good start indoors and get them in the ground as early as possible they may work.
If it's a big problem then don't put them in the ground at all, just grow them in containers.  Peppers do really well that way.  And don't put them out too early, you have to wait for it to be warm enough or they will get stunted and be even more delayed.

Once they're thriving then full hot sun for as long as possible everyday. When sprouting/seedlings and after use the black pots. We may have discussed this before Phil. Uncover them in the late afternoon when the sun isn't so direct.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 07:37:12 am »

Once they're thriving then full hot sun for as long as possible everyday. When sprouting/seedlings and after use the black pots. We may have discussed this before Phil. Uncover them in the late afternoon when the sun isn't so direct.

Yup, I remember from earlier. FWIW I bought young pepper plants (piment d'esplette) last year and they did really well. We just recently finished the hot sauce.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 07:47:48 am »
Oh yeah..

We've got about 5 blueberry plants and 3 or 4 raspberry plants.  The raspberries will be in their second year - hopefully they wintered OK.  The strawberries are slowly taking over the backyard, but I'm ok with that - we picked at least 3 quarts last year, not counting the ones that went straight into the kids' mouths.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 07:16:02 am »
Small garden here. I let mine go fallow last year (no time) but I am planning on putting in several varieties of tomatoes and chillies, okra, pole beans and a spice garden.

Okra....yeah, I should put in a dozen plants. To me, they are best at 2" long; pick, steam, and sprinkle with parmeasian cheese...awesome!

Dredged in cornmeal and pan fried here. Along with some green tomatoes. Doesn't get better than that.  ;D

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 09:21:04 am »
Small garden here. I let mine go fallow last year (no time) but I am planning on putting in several varieties of tomatoes and chillies, okra, pole beans and a spice garden.

Okra....yeah, I should put in a dozen plants. To me, they are best at 2" long; pick, steam, and sprinkle with parmeasian cheese...awesome!

Dredged in cornmeal and pan fried here. Along with some green tomatoes. Doesn't get better than that.  ;D

May I suggest said fried green tomatoes served on a biscuit with crispy bacon, poached egg and some sawmill gravy? Country Eggs Benedict bien sur.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 09:37:00 am »

Dredged in cornmeal and pan fried here. Along with some green tomatoes. Doesn't get better than that.  ;D

May I suggest said fried green tomatoes served on a biscuit with crispy bacon, poached egg and some sawmill gravy? Country Eggs Benedict bien sur.

GREAT SUGGESTION! Edit: With Jalepeno cheese grits as a side!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:22:53 am by majorvices »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 07:02:23 pm »

Dredged in cornmeal and pan fried here. Along with some green tomatoes. Doesn't get better than that.  ;D

GREAT SUGGESTION! Edit: With Jalepeno cheese grits as a side!

Only thing you could possibly add is a breakfast stout.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 05:52:27 am »
Breakfast perfection.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 10:14:55 pm »
It's spring pretty much all year round here.  I’ve got a nice size piece of ground, and a big part of why I live here is to grow things.   I plant and harvest continually, so it's easier just to list what I have growing.  These are my food plants.  Flowers and stuff later if you’re interested…

Avocado
Banana
Basil
Carambolla (Star Fruit)
Celery
Chives
Cilantro
Citrus: 
  Duncan and Ruby Red grapefruit
  Eureka lemon
  Bearss and Key lime
  Blood, Navel and Valencia oranges
  Pommelo
  Dancy and Murcott tangerines

Coconut
Coffee
Coriander
Garlic
Green onion
Guava
Hibiscus
Horseradish
Jaboticaba
Lychee
Mango
Mangosteen
Mint
Mirliton
Lilikoi (passion fruit)
Loquat
Papaya
Parsley
Peppers:
  Bell
  Cayenne
  Ghost
  Habanero
  Jalapeno
  Poblano
  Serano
  Thai

Rosemary
Pineapple
Sage
Tea
Thyme
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 06:48:07 pm »
Forgot to list oregano.  Thinking about starting some mustard and collards.

BTW Ghost pepper = Naga Jolokia = Bhut Jolokai = ATOMIC!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:55:11 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:51 pm »
Forgot to list oregano.  Thinking about starting some mustard and collards.

BTW Ghost pepper = Naga Jolokia = Bhut Jolokai = ATOMIC!
I'm very jealous punatic, but surely there's something I can grow here that you can't grow there.  Like hops :)
Tom Schmidlin