Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watcha plantin' this spring?  (Read 29407 times)

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Watcha plantin' this spring?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 01:31:40 pm »
hahahah, you colder climate folks... here in AZ, we tend to our gardens in the winter when stuff will actually grow!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 01:47:51 pm »
For annuals we'll have a bunch of different tomatoes and hot peppers, as usual.  Someone gave me a bhut jolokia (hottest pepper in the world) starter kit, so I'm excited to see if they'll grow and fruit here in our short growing season.  We'll also plant some pole beas, peas, carrots, and a few other things that aren't determined yet.  The leeks and garlic are already in the ground. :)

I've got some Bhut Jolokia hot sauce that I bought from Germany. You will know the wrath of God if you eat one.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 01:49:24 pm »
I did container planting last year. In the drought/heat conditions it was a real PITA with no drip system. A big wind would knock down all my tomatoes. My yield was pretty decent despite that and the pests and birds.

This year it will be raised beds. I hope to try a dripper system.

Tomatoes, serranos, jalapenos, poblano, cucumbers, bush beans, corn and maybe some greens. I was able to successfully sprout and grow chili petins last year. They said it couldn't be done but the secret is heat. :D They'll only germinate in very warm conditions.

Say, I don't suppose I could get you to mail me a few packets of poblano, serrano and jalapeno seeds? I can't find them here, at least not anywhere that looks reputable.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 01:57:09 pm »
Sure PM me.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:33 pm »
I did container planting last year. In the drought/heat conditions it was a real PITA with no drip system. A big wind would knock down all my tomatoes. My yield was pretty decent despite that and the pests and birds.

Tomatoes, serranos, jalapenos, poblano, cucumbers, bush beans, corn and maybe some greens. I was able to successfully sprout and grow chili petins last year. They said it couldn't be done but the secret is heat. :D They'll only germinate in very warm conditions.

Say, I don't suppose I could get you to mail me a few packets of poblano, serrano and jalapeno seeds? I can't find them here, at least not anywhere that looks reputable.

Here are some pretty good sources I've used before. Hope Monsanto doesn't sue me.

http://rareseeds.com/

http://www.seedsavers.org/

http://www.organicaseed.com/

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 02:29:25 pm »

Here are some pretty good sources I've used before. Hope Monsanto doesn't sue me.

http://rareseeds.com/

http://www.seedsavers.org/

http://www.organicaseed.com/

I really like the Baker Creek (rareseeds.com) selection. They have some pretty interesting stuff, and I just bought a whole load from them. My BIL even orders some stuff from them for his small farming concern in Winnipeg
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 02:29:51 pm »
That being said, it will consist of the usual corn, squash, peppers, cukes, onions, turnips, collards, mustard, etc...

no 'maters?  would have thought everyone's "usual" would include 'maters.

Oh yes. 'Maters, plenty of 'maters.

Got where I'm partial to Romas. They have fairly thick skins and I pressure can most of the 'maters except for the larger varieties for eating fresh off the vine for sandwiches and such. The romas makes great sauces and salsa.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 03:43:00 pm »
I have plenty of hop bines this year, most will have been in place at least 3 years so if the grasshoppers don't eat them I'll get hops.  I'll also put tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapenos, spinach and radishes.  All our friends plant squash so I'll just eat theirs.  We're not taking a month vacation this year so I'll be around to tend the garden.  Last year my daughter pretty much let everything die while we were away, and what didn't die got eaten by swarms of grasshoppers.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »
Peppers: jalapeƱos, Tabasco, cowhorn, sweet banana, hot banana.
Mostly jalapeƱos, as they're so good in things like corn bread and chili and grits and so on! Plus, remove the seeds and ribs, slice into strips, and dehydrate...then crush into a powder and you have a taste of them year-round.  8)
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »
For annuals we'll have a bunch of different tomatoes and hot peppers, as usual.  Someone gave me a bhut jolokia (hottest pepper in the world) starter kit, so I'm excited to see if they'll grow and fruit here in our short growing season.  We'll also plant some pole beas, peas, carrots, and a few other things that aren't determined yet.  The leeks and garlic are already in the ground. :)
I've got some Bhut Jolokia hot sauce that I bought from Germany. You will know the wrath of God if you eat one.
I'm looking forward to it :)

I get most of my hot pepper seeds from reimerseeds.com, they have a huge selection.  The ones I've gotten have germinated very well following their directions.
(http://reimerseeds.com/peppers-hot_623.aspx)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 06:53:23 am »
This will be the 3rd seaseon for our veggie garden - I noticed a huge improvement in the soil last year and I hope the trend continues this year.  Mostly the regulars for me - tomatoes, potatos, cucumbers, peas, beans, carrots, lettuce.  I have a really hard time with bell peppers, but last year the cayenne and banana peppers were great  ???  I may do pumpkins again, but might put them (and corn) in the town's community garden so the pumpkins don't take over the backyard.

Its the second year for my Mt. Hood, Zeus and Goldings.  I have to build a better trellis system for them.  I'd also like to build some cold-frames to give my hops and a few other things a jump start on our short growing season.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 07:08:28 am »
Small garden here. I let mine go fallow last year (no time) but I am planning on putting in several varieties of tomatoes and chillies, okra, pole beans and a spice garden.

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 09:47:54 am »
Small garden here. I let mine go fallow last year (no time) but I am planning on putting in several varieties of tomatoes and chillies, okra, pole beans and a spice garden.

Okra....yeah, I should put in a dozen plants. To me, they are best at 2" long; pick, steam, and sprinkle with parmeasian cheese...awesome!
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 01:33:54 pm »
I am going to start my dixie cup garden this weekend.  basically, I have found that 16 plastic dixie cups fit exactly inside a used milk crate.  In each cup I cut a few slits on the bottom, fill half with potting soil, and write the plant on it in sharpie.  5 or 6 crates later I have my starters for the year ready.  If it gets cold I pick up the crates and move them to the garage, if it's nice they get some sun. 

I have been doing all heirloom for the past 3 years, and will continue this year.  tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, carrots and the peppers, man I love the peppers.  letsee, habanero, white habanerro, cayenne, serrano, japalpenos, bell peppers, chili pequin, ghost peppers, thai chili peppers and italian bananna peppers. 

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »

My inlaws have tried growing peppers in France.  They won't grow outdoors because of the short, cool growing season, but maybe if you give them a good start indoors and get them in the ground as early as possible they may work.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico