Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A culinary abortion!  (Read 16894 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: A culinary abortion!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »
Oh man I love raw green beans.

We just blanch them too, then serve them with a little balsamic. Make them that way for salad knee-swa < (cant spell french).

Pan seared green beans are good too. Browned a little on the outside raw in the center.

Or the Chinese way of wok seared with fine chopped pork and sweet soy sauce.

Man those ribs must have been bad.

The Puerto Ricans make deep fried ribs. OMG are they good!
Nicoise?  I can't spell french either, but I've seen that word.  I don't know what it means :)

Try the beans with some black been paste, they're delicious!  Which rmeinds me, my ex-sister-in-law made us jalapeno peppers with black bean paste, it was really good.  I've tried to duplicate it, but the peppers are always too hot to eat by the spoonful.  I'm not sure how she made it that time or if she just got lucky with that batch.  And since she's ex, I can't ask :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 05:18:44 pm »
Garlic crab salad using imitation crab meat (whiting).  :-X
Ron Price

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 01:42:41 pm »
.. my ex-sister-in-law made us jalapeno peppers with black bean paste, it was really good.  I've tried to duplicate it, but the peppers are always too hot to eat by the spoonful.  I'm not sure how she made it that time or if she just got lucky with that batch.  ...
Remove the seeds & ribs, then maybe soak the peppers overnight in milk?  IIRC, the milk will supposedly leach out some of the heat. ???
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:07:23 pm »
.. my ex-sister-in-law made us jalapeno peppers with black bean paste, it was really good.  I've tried to duplicate it, but the peppers are always too hot to eat by the spoonful.  I'm not sure how she made it that time or if she just got lucky with that batch.  ...
Remove the seeds & ribs, then maybe soak the peppers overnight in milk?  IIRC, the milk will supposedly leach out some of the heat. ???
That might work, but she definitely didn't do that, she bought them that day.  And I swear they were just rings, ribs and seeds included.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 02:48:10 pm »
Oh, I've got another! I've been pretty sick the last few days,(which is cool cause Discovery is doing some kind of American hopper marathon) so my mother-in-law is cooking tonight. Last time she made chili, she cooked the meant, threw everythnig in a pot, and we were eating it  min later. The beans were crunchy!  :o

Needless to say, she LOVES my chili.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 02:58:59 pm »
My dear grandmother, in her twilight years, a couple times made food for us when my family visited from Missouri.  I was young at the time, but I will always remember when she emptied a can of Manwich sauce into a saucepan, heated it up, and served it to us on bread, sans meat.   ;D

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 03:23:21 pm »
I made the WORST pumpkin pie once. The crust was perfect, the recipe was stellar, I inadvertently ground up too much clove. I couldn't even choke it down and dumped it without even letting my wife taste it.

My mother makes the absolute worst stuffing at Thanksgiving and Christmas year after year. It is gray, made from leftover (and then frozen) breads and biscuits and could be used for bricks. My father appears to love it and I've always thought it was awful. It's the only thing she makes which is bad and she continues to make it the same way. Uggg...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

jaybeerman

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 03:42:39 pm »
Great thread and +1 to raw green beans.  Culinary abortion = most restaurants in our area.  Otherwise I'll always remember a ski trip I took when I was about 18.  The young daughter of some family friends decided to get up early to fix a buddy and I breakfast.  It consisted of hash browns that were started in cold oil, and then stirred frequently in a pan way too hot.  So they were oil logged, burnt in spots and raw in others.  Bacon that was so hard it was inedible with eggs that had bits of the rock hard bacon and burnt hash browns.  All that served with toast that was butter soaked and cold.  Of course, we cleaned our plates smiling the whole time because she was good looking too (sorry, no pics).  Cheers, j

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 04:14:10 pm »
Shun... ;)
Does passing, er, falling asleep late at night with a late night snack in the oven and waking up many hours later count?  8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:27:51 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 04:30:02 pm »

My mother makes the absolute worst stuffing at Thanksgiving and Christmas year after year. It is gray, made from leftover (and then frozen) breads and biscuits and could be used for bricks. My father appears to love it and I've always thought it was awful. It's the only thing she makes which is bad and she continues to make it the same way. Uggg...

Wise man ;)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 04:36:04 pm »
Culinary Abortion = Anything my Mother in Law cooks, no exaggeration.

Its to bad too, she loves to cook and just hums a long as she cooks. The food is inedible, or at least indigestible.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 04:46:29 pm »
Culinary Abortion = Anything my Mother in Law cooks, no exaggeration.

Its to bad too, she loves to cook and just hums a long as she cooks. The food is inedible, or at least indigestible.

That pigs foot jelly you posted pics of...I mean, that looks like an abortion in multiple senses.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 04:46:57 pm »

Wise man ;)

Almost Tuberculean... ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »
Oh yeah, good example. The Pig Jello. One of her specialties.

The way it jiggles on the plate it is more like an Unsuccessful Abortion.

Oh man, they are coming in March.

The horror...The horror....the horror.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 05:03:45 pm »
Oh yeah, good example. The Pig Jello. One of her specialties.

The way it jiggles on the plate it is more like an Unsuccessful Abortion.

Oh man, they are coming in March.

The horror...The horror....the horror.

Winner! Winner! Badly prepared chicken dinner!

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member