Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A culinary abortion!  (Read 16891 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: A culinary abortion!
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 12:01:08 am »

I put the raw rolled out dough in the lasagna without cooking it. It cooks in the sauce.

My B-in law is from Portugal, there they make pasta by cooking it in the sauce, they almost never boil it in the water.

Dry pasta or raw, fresh pasta?  That would be a decent difference I'd think.

Both work in an American casserole style lasagna. However, compared to what I had in Italy they must have used fresh and it was thin pasta. Maybe just dunked in boiling water. Fabulous.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 06:06:09 am »
Fresh pasta is the only way to go.

Even better is the semolina crepes used for manacotti. Then layer them int something round and the lasagna slices and serves like cake.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 08:51:44 am »
Culinary Abortion = Anything my Mother in Law cooks, no exaggeration.

Its to bad too, she loves to cook and just hums a long as she cooks. The food is inedible, or at least indigestible.

That pigs foot jelly you posted pics of...I mean, that looks like an abortion in multiple senses.

LOL... :D

Although I though he said it was chicken.  :-\  God only knows.

I remember that and have to laugh knowing how high Cap's bar is set.
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 10:00:03 am »
Just when I thought she could not do any worse, mom-in-law made some chicken noodle soup last night. AND TOTALLY REDEMED HERSELF!! That was good stuff. IT made up for the chili. But not for the roast. Did I tell you guys 'bout that one?
  Some frieds gave us a TON of meat, from one of their cows, all organic fed. Steaks, hamburger, you name it. She took the niceset roast you ever saw, straight out of the freezer, and dropped it in the crock pot. Sprinkled a little pepper on top (not even fresh cracked, right from the shaker) "A" clove of garlic, no salt, no liquids, NOTHING!!!
   THat poor, poor roast. And to think a cow gave it;s life for that travesty.  :'(
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 12:09:31 pm »
Sounds like it's time for someone to step in and have an intervention.

At the the very least- hey Mom, why not have a rest and let us cook for you tonight?  ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »

At the the very least- hey Mom, why not have a rest and let us cook for you tonight?  ;)

Or maybe "I know you like cooking, so I got you this cookbook" :)

America's Test Kitchen makes a bunch of good books that also include general tips on cooking.  I like this one a lot.
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/bookstore/detail.asp?PID=336
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 01:14:30 pm »

Wow, dangerous territory!  If you attempt either, you might want to practice your delivery in the bathroom mirror.  Channel your feelings on the roast into <faked> genuine sincerity.  Good luck.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »

Wow, dangerous territory!  If you attempt either, you might want to practice your delivery in the bathroom mirror.  Channel your feelings on the roast into <faked> genuine sincerity.  Good luck.
I'd leave out that it has tips to improve your cooking and just say that it has recipes that looked really great. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2011, 02:12:57 pm »
To answer the original question....it would have to be the standard Montana summer barbecue.  You go to someone's house, they hand you a can of Busch Light, you drink a couple of those, then the host turns on his gas grill.

He goes into the house, and comes out with a white cardboard box, that is filled with frozen hamburger patties.  Skinny little things.  They haven't quite thawed yet.  The host places on them on the grill, and since they are a little bit frozen (you don't want to risk eating raw meat), he burns the snot out of them.

Then you get a bun out of the bag (toasted? never!), put on some delmonte catsup, French's mustard, Miracle whip, maybe some sliced supermarket tomato, yellow onion, iceberg lettuce, Nalley's sweet pickle relish...and you got yourself a Montana-style burger. :(

To be washed down with another Busch Light.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2011, 02:18:35 pm »
Been to one or two of those. Though it doesn't just happen in Montana. The Busch Light is usually the best tasting part about it...  Other than maybe the no-name branded pain chips... Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2011, 02:31:44 pm »
That particular style of cookout has washed into the headwaters of the mighty Missouri river and made its way south to Missouri itself.

A lot of times it is augmented by burned-on-the-outside and still-cold-on-the-inside hot dogs.  I understand the convenience and cheapness of that sort of cookout, but still.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »
To answer the original question....it would have to be the standard Montana summer barbecue.  You go to someone's house, they hand you a can of Busch Light, you drink a couple of those, then the host turns on his gas grill.

He goes into the house, and comes out with a white cardboard box, that is filled with frozen hamburger patties.  Skinny little things.  They haven't quite thawed yet.  The host places on them on the grill, and since they are a little bit frozen (you don't want to risk eating raw meat), he burns the snot out of them.

Then you get a bun out of the bag (toasted? never!), put on some delmonte catsup, French's mustard, Miracle whip, maybe some sliced supermarket tomato, yellow onion, iceberg lettuce, Nalley's sweet pickle relish...and you got yourself a Montana-style burger. :(

To be washed down with another Busch Light.

SOunds like you've been to a cookout here at father-in-laws. Only diff is it gets washed down with Icehouse.  :-\
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2011, 04:59:19 pm »
Amazing how people will invite guests over and then try (and succeed) to serve them the cheapest crap possible. And manage to send them home with an extra helping of food borne illness.  :-\

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »
Ewww, sounds like when my mother in law is here.

She just loves going to Aldi (man, I really hate that store) and she fills our cabinets with the most cheapest artificial flavor and colir food there is. Just yuck.

Then she will make some kind of awful stew with over cooked thin cut pork chops with several variates of wilted faded canned veg.

I wont eat her cooking anymore. She is a lovely women but a dirty, dirty cook. I caught her once mouthing the spoon of sour cream, then she used it again in the container of sour cream.

I try not to be offensive but I wont eat her cooking.

SHe also knows now that cooking dinner is my job. Thank goodness, cause I was almost ready to kill. Once I came home from work to find here rearranging my kitchen cabinets.

It gets hard sometimes, real hard, and Im not talking about my unit.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »
That particular style of cookout has washed into the headwaters of the mighty Missouri river and made its way south to Missouri itself.

A lot of times it is augmented by burned-on-the-outside and still-cold-on-the-inside hot dogs.  I understand the convenience and cheapness of that sort of cookout, but still.

You live in Misery? Home of the pork steak!  :D
The moral majority, is neither.