Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A culinary abortion!  (Read 16892 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: A culinary abortion!
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2011, 06:39:53 pm »
It gets hard sometimes, real hard, and Im not talking about my unit.

Never know, the way you talk about her mouthing the spoon, ya coulda been....  :-X
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 07:25:13 am »
You live in Misery? Home of the pork steak!  :D

Seriously that stuff is as foreign to me, on the west side of the state in Kansas City, as softshell crab.  Seriously, St Louis, where that strange sort of BBQ holds sway, might as well be Illinois to us, it is eastern and mysterious!

I can't complain though, Kansas City BBQ is actually pretty good.  Gates, Jack Stack, Arthur Bryants (meh), LC's, and no end of new upstarts.  But we still have the frozen hamburger patty cookouts.

In their defence, the ones I have been to are not at all about dinner, or food, or anything...its about getting family together, and food and beer and such is all secondary, so I don't begrudge the hosts not killing the fatted calf for a large body of relatives!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:05 am »
My dad came to visit this summer, and we had a blast! He brought me a bunch of fun cooking stuff from the US (CharCrust, which is amazing, try it on steak!)... but... he did bring one thing.

You know Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Salt? He brought me the low-sodium version. Of a seasoning SALT. It tastes like a chemical factory fire. That's a culinary abortion.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2011, 12:41:06 pm »
I got one that's arisen like an ill-forgotten bad memory:  Pineapple chunks in coleslaw. The cafeteria at work makes it that way. They're like isn't it wonderful?! Yum yum yum.

No. It isn't.  >:(

And neither is raisins.  :P
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »
My Aunt puts grapes and walnuts in chicken salad.

Just awful.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »
You live in Misery? Home of the pork steak!  :D

Seriously that stuff is as foreign to me, on the west side of the state in Kansas City, as softshell crab.  Seriously, St Louis, where that strange sort of BBQ holds sway, might as well be Illinois to us, it is eastern and mysterious!

[/quote

Ah yeah, now I remember. I asked before - sorry about that.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2011, 07:23:19 pm »
Just a few minutes ago, I get a text from Holly, while I'm on my way to the airport......"My mom made meatloaf tonight. I miss you."   hahahahaha.........
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2011, 12:14:04 am »
My Aunt puts grapes and walnuts in chicken salad.

Just awful.

Whatever guys, that stuff is great. Throw some tarragon in and you're set. Maybe she buys bad Chicken salad? I dunno. Also, pineapple in coleslaw is pretty good as long as they coleslaw isn't weird to begin with.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2011, 12:52:40 pm »
I have a few to share, but I do have to say I like the grapes and walnuts in chicken salad. Whatever.

Anyway, starting with my grandmother:
- Boiled meat.
- She once served "salad" which consisted of a leaf of iceberg lettuce on a plate topped with what appeared to be an ice cream scoopful of Miracle Whip.
- Fried squirrel, which wasn't bad except that she took it with the .410 - You haven't lived until you've sat down to a family dinner where the conversation was punctuated by the staccatto "ping" of pellets being spit onto plates.

From the "White Bread America" section of the deli:
- All potato salad sold there is a god-forsaken culinary disaster. They seem to go to great lengths to remove all trace of flavor from the dish. Same for macaroni salad, but that's more or less a lost cause to start with. The only good potato salad I've ever had is the stuff my family makes, and once at a German friend's house. And yes, that means mustard, bacon, and eggs. Deal with it.

Misc:
- Deviled Eggs that contain no or trace amounts of paprika. What up with that?
- Jello containing unidentified, though presumably food, particles.
- I don't want to stereotype an entire religion, but in keeping with the above let's just say anything made by my dad's side of the family.

“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2011, 01:03:31 pm »
I actually prefer the German influenced potato salad. It's labeled as "Homestyle" here. What really floats my boat is the Bavarian stuff made with bacon and caraway seeds. Just a vinaigrette and the potatoes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2011, 01:04:22 pm »
I actually prefer the German influenced potato salad. It's labeled as "Homestyle" here. What really floats my boat is the Bavarian stuff made with bacon and caraway seeds. Just a vinaigrette and the potatoes.

I think most people with tastebuds do.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:55 pm »
Okay, so when I was in grade school a looooong time ago I had a really strange taster. My favorite samich for lunch was peanut butter, sliced bananas and yellow mustard. Don't knock it 'till you tried it...  ;D  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2011, 01:44:04 pm »
The hot variant, kartoffelnsalat, is the only version I will eat.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »
Didn't know there was a word for it, but it was always served still warm when I was growing up. Not deliberately heated, just still warm from the boiled potatos.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2011, 03:10:03 pm »
Here's one for a hangover and actually tastes badass:

Wheat toast, mayo, peanut butter and crispy bacon sandwich.

Sounds disgusting but oh its heaven in your mouth!