Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee Makers  (Read 11087 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Coffee Makers
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 09:59:06 am »
I think it was BoulderBrewer that sent me a sample of his cold brewed coffee... it was delicious.  I haven't picked up the gear to make a cold brew coffee maker yet but I'm planning on it after getting a bit more settled here.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 03:53:11 pm »
We use melita cones and filters for one cup at a time.  We all have different strength requirements so it's easier to custom make each cup, plus 2 cups per day is one more than normal.  My wife puts 2 heaping tablespoons for each cup.  And I roast my own beans and use a burr grinder.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 08:01:17 am »
How's the caffeine output on cold brewed? While I do enjoy coffee for the taste, it sure would suck to go into caffeine withdrawal. I popped some coffee and water into a french press, I'll let it sit until after dinner and see what I get.

edit: Found it..."Our claim is cold brewed coffee has approximately 33 percent less caffeine than coffee brewed (using regular caffeinated beans) by conventional hot water methods."
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:44:14 am by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 05:09:01 pm »
As I delve into the coffee obsession, I've added several brewing rigs over the last couple of years.

I started with a Starbucks auto drip machine that ended up getting recalled due to some wiring issues so it is no more.  I used the recall funds to switch to a Bunn BTX drip machine.  I think the Bunn is on par with the Technivorm and other high-end drip machines but some adjustments to grind & dose and/or the shower head are needed to compensate for Bunn's 3 minute brew cycle.

After hearing a friend rave about his experience, I picked up an Aeropress; great for anything from a single cup to a 16oz mug and is my travel brewer when paired with a Turkish hand grinder.

After sampling coffee from a Chemex manual pourover, I picked one up and use that whenever I want to brew 4-8 cups.  I like the clean flavors of the Chemex but do need to transfer to a thermal container as it cools quickly.

My latest addition is a Clever Coffee Dripper.  I've been using this to brew a single cup at a time.  The jury is still out whether I find it better, same, or worse than the other methods.

All manual brewing methods use a Chef's Choice electric kettle for hot water production.

Lastly, for espresso, I have a Vivaldi II and home roasting is done on a Gene Cafe with an external cooling device.

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 07:26:40 pm »
Burr grinder, electric kettle with either a french press, or as of Christmas, an aeropress.  I've used all sorts of machines and methods but always come back to the press.

boulderbrewer

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 07:58:18 pm »
I have never noticed the lack of caffine. I appreciate the taste first. ;)  I make my coffee strong so that may be why I don't notice the lack of caffine. Maybe time to try a french press or an Aeropress, to see what I may be missing.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 09:33:11 pm »
Im not into the French press, forces to much of the tannins out of the beans. I do better with just a pot of hot water. 

If you use one dont press it all the way down.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 07:16:38 pm »
Ordered my new coffee maker this morning - Delonghi 3300.

-OCD

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 08:49:24 pm »
I ended up just getting this one.

Mine was busted and I needed one immediately since I'm having a bunch of out of town friends over for NYE.  Not 100% what I wanted but it'll do for now.  Between the standard 20% off BB&B coupon, a rebate, and the gift card my parents got us for xmas it cost me $7.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 09:31:25 pm »
$7 SuperAutomatic Espresso Machine - Sweet!

I got  a second year warranty through WholeLatteLove VS BBB but not the 20% off - only 10%. It had tons of good reviews, most importantly on the reliability scores. I've always owned Saeco's and they just break down way too often, but after the initial investment you're kinda stuck with it for a while.

What was the machine you actually wanted? Oh, and please tell me the 3300 is a decent machine.

EDIT: Pfft - totally misread your post. Drinking and posting sometimes don't work well together. Like the fact that the grey letters are a link and the black letters are regular text.   :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:12:25 pm by beerocd »

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 10:06:04 pm »
This is what I wanted.

Based both on dontblake's review and my going through every coffee pot on amazon and not finding anything else I remotely liked.  But it didn't qualify for free shipping and the shipping charge was outrageous so I fell back on what I could find at BB&B.

5 or so pots in and it seems like it's working well.  The thermal carafe is better than the ones I've had but still doesn't seem to hold the heat as well as I'd like.  I'm probably just nitpicking at this point since it does hold it pretty well.

And I have no experience on the 3300 you bought so no help there.  It does look like a nice machine though!
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 10:20:17 pm »
This is what I wanted.
 The thermal carafe is better than the ones I've had but still doesn't seem to hold the heat as well as I'd like.  I'm probably just nitpicking at this point since it does hold it pretty well.

You need one of those ugly green STANLEY thermos bottles. Never seen anything hold coffee hot for longer. (without power)

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 10:41:16 pm »

You need one of those ugly green STANLEY thermos bottles. Never seen anything hold coffee hot for longer. (without power)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking actually.  I believe they have a vacuum sealed glass insert.  
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 04:10:05 am »
Im not into the French press, forces to much of the tannins out of the beans. I do better with just a pot of hot water. 

If you use one dont press it all the way down.

I've found that water temps and brew time are critical.  I like the water around 195 and plunge after steeping for 3-4 minutes.  If you use boiling water, let it set too long or let it sit in the pot too long before drinking, you can get a sub-par cup. 
Edit:  Sweet Maria's has a nice tip sheet on using a press:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr/brewinstr.frenchpress.html