Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee Makers  (Read 11084 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Coffee Makers
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:41:13 pm »
What have you got?

I have a Saeco Italia. These things are like sports cars. Very cool, work great (when they work), but are in the shop a lot. Contemplating moving to something different and/or better. Who does what with their coffee?

I also roast sometimes with an air popper and hurricane glass. That should be a different thread maybe.

-OCD

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:19:28 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Coffee Makers
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:18:16 pm »
Good timing on this thread.  The glass carafe for my Cuisinart grind and brew (no idea on the model anymore) just busted and since I haven't been all that happy with it for awhile now I'm in the market for a new one. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:28:53 pm »
Do you drink a lot of coffee? Moka pots rock - but I drink too much to deal with those. Drip is OK if you have GOOD fresh coffee, but if I make a pot - I'll drink the whole pot. I got into the Superautomatic espresso machines about 6 years ago and guess I'm just willing to put up with it going into the shop every 12-18 months.

-OCD

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:51:14 pm »
Yeah, I drink a lot of coffee.  But for the home pot I'm generally just using it on weekends.  I'll brew the occasional half pot during the week before driving in but for the most part I don't have the time.  When I make a pot I drink the whole thing usually.  I buy whole bean and grind it but I don't roast it myself...yet.

What I need is a good drip machine that isn't overly time consuming.  Also, it'd be really nice if it dripped into an effective, heat-retaining carafe.  I still haven't found a carafe that holds heat well.  I'm thinking about going out and trying to find a glass lined thermos like my dad had for hunting.  You could drink a hot cup of coffee out of that at 4:00 PM after standing outside in 10 degree temperature all day.  The POS ones I get at BB&B last maybe 60 minutes at room temperature.

I like quality but I somewhat need simplicity since even with a simple drip pot by the time I get it brewing my son has said:

daddy what you doing?
daddy what you doing?
daddy what you doing?

rinse and repeat a dozen times
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:48 pm »
We have the Capresso Thermal CarafeMT500.   Works great and I would recommend it to anyone!
It has a timer so that you can grind your beans before bedtime, then have it brew up fresh before you wake up.
The stainless steel carafe works well, too - the coffee is still piping hot 2.5 hrs after brewing - and is respectable up till about 5 hrs.
For the past several years, I would pour myself a "to-go" mug and sip on it while at work because the swill they had was barely good for doing dishes with.  Now that I work at a place that is smaller and has good beans, I don't need to make the effort, but do so anyway because it's really no effort.

Here's a link
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=capresso+thermal&oe=utf-8&cid=5469205829254766834&sa=title#p

We also have one of those mini espresso deals, but rarely used - only for the occasional cappuccino.
Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 05:57:52 am »
After looking around on Amazon the Capressos are the only ones that caught my eye so far.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:19:03 am »
Mr. Coffee.  The same one I've had for the past 10 years.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 07:15:29 am »
French press and $#!++y blade grinder.  Hoping for a new burr grinder for Xmas!

Usually deal with the swill at work and only make coffee on the weekends.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 08:02:47 am »
i don't drink coffee unless it's in my beer, but i bought the missus a keurig utlimate single cup system.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:02:15 pm »
Grind my own and use a French press. All you need.   :)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 01:54:51 pm »
I think only thing I haven't tried is those Vaccuum Pots. Good coffee can be had from all methods; depends on your personal taste.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 07:12:50 am »
I Just use a pot, 1940's style,  I boil some nice clean water and add some fresh ground beans. 
Wait for the crema to rise then stir once and strain. Works better than any coffee machine I have ever used.

Vacuum and siphon ar the same thing?   I would like to have one of these. But more for looks than performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3JcOndpcGU

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 07:51:49 am »
I Just use a pot, 1940's style,  I boil some nice clean water and add some fresh ground beans. 
Wait for the crema to rise then stir once and strain. Works better than any coffee machine I have ever used.

Super fine grounds? Turkish coffee.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 08:25:33 am »
 I ordered Turkish coffee once when I was in Budapest. I was in a Greek restaurant, and they were so offended by my request that they refused to serve me.  :o
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 08:40:19 am »
I ordered Turkish coffee once when I was in Budapest. I was in a Greek restaurant, and they were so offended by my request that they refused to serve me.  :o

Ha! I do it on purpose in Greek restaurants too. I order Turkish..."you mean Greek" they say to me ... it's Turkish coffee, get me some. Greek coffee beans - which is what would make it Greek vs Turkish IMO is actually pretty bad.