Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee Makers  (Read 11086 times)

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Coffee Makers
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:09 pm »
I drink too much coffee each day, but I don't see the need to spend money on the maker.  I spend about 15-20 dollars on the pot now days.  Used to have a Bunn, but they are for quick coffee, not good coffee IMHO.  I use quality beans and a cheap pot.  Same as my beer.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 08:11:52 am »
Yeah, I used to pound 2-3 pots a day easily. Now I'm more in the 3-5 cup range. For me it's along the lines of beer. If you sit and drink a turkish coffee you're not gonna throw them down like you would a cup of Folger's (not that there's anything wrong with that). Same like an imperial stout vs a Guinness.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 02:21:44 pm »
Let me give out a shout to the AeroPress - yeah, I know, it looks like a corny POS but it makes a fantastic cup of coffee. Way better than any drip machine and better then a press pot as well (was smoother than a presspot with no grit at the bottom of the cup).

Now, I know it says "espresso maker" but it is not an espresso maker per se - it does make an espresso like cup of coffee before you water it down, and it even gives off some crema if your beans are fresh - but it is not an espresso maker. Just a fantastic, simple way to make 1-4 cups of coffee. Highly recommend it, fellas!

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 03:21:31 pm »
That aero press looks cool. It looks kinda like the Vietnamese coffee pots.

Ever have a Vietnamese coffee? Damn good stuff.

They use Cafe Du-Monde, which is 75% coffee mixed with 25% chicory. It drips into your cup on top of a few tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk. 
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »
Now that you brought that up - Thai Iced coffee ROCKS!
The coffee actually comes from Thailand.
They just steep it forever in like a big grain sock, in a huge pot, then wring it out.
Has a mint like undertone to it, with the condensed milk - it's just awesome.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 05:48:40 pm »

Ever have a Vietnamese coffee? Damn good stuff.

They use Cafe Du-Monde, which is 75% coffee mixed with 25% chicory. It drips into your cup on top of a few tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk. 

I drank Cafe Du-Monde coffee while I was in New Orleans and I became a huge fan of that style. I also like Kona coffee. The bigger and bolder the better for me. I just don't like burnt coffee beans because they're way too bitter.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 05:27:44 am »
I grew up drinking Cafe de Monde even in PA (my mom had it special ordered) and still stop and get a can at the store sometimes (you can find it in the south) - makes a good cafe au lait. Taste way better in New Orleans. I also keep all my bacon drippoings in a Cafe du Monde can. ;)

Drinking my second cup of aero-press coffee right now. That's one thing I will warn about - compared to press or drip coffee, it is quite a shot of caffeine!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 10:52:13 pm »
French Press? Yes
Cheap aluminum stovetop espresso maker? Yes
Expensive Starbucks DeLonghi drip? Yes
Free Gevalia drip? Yes
Starbucks Burr grinder? Yes ($50 Ebay sniped)
Blade Grinder? Yes
DIY Coffee roaster? Yes

IMO the Gevalia makes the best drip coffee due to the fact that it stays in the 190's during most of the cycle. The Delonghi sucks.

The $15 Espresso maker will make a hair-raising 16oz mug.

French press is nice but if the grind is not right it tastes too earthy plus the coffee sits on the grinds unless decanted immediately.

Carafes should see a pre-heating just like your mash tun.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:22:10 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

boulderbrewer

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 11:04:28 pm »
I'm a cold brew guy even though I don't get the caffine, but if I can drink my coffee without bitterness, I can drink more than enough to make up for it

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 03:38:30 am »
Let me give out a shout to the AeroPress - yeah, I know, it looks like a corny POS but it makes a fantastic cup of coffee. Way better than any drip machine and better then a press pot as well (was smoother than a presspot with no grit at the bottom of the cup).

Now, I know it says "espresso maker" but it is not an espresso maker per se - it does make an espresso like cup of coffee before you water it down, and it even gives off some crema if your beans are fresh - but it is not an espresso maker. Just a fantastic, simple way to make 1-4 cups of coffee. Highly recommend it, fellas!

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

I picked up an aeropress at Christmas on the recommendation of another brewer and it does make a really nice cup of coffee; very smooth and rich.  It does knock out some of the high/bright flavors compared to some other brewing methods but OTOH for the same reason, it'll make a decent cup out of some crummy coffee.   It's great for those days where I'm out of the house before my wife wakes up and I just want 1 cup.