Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homemade Soap!  (Read 51342 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Homemade Soap!
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2011, 09:36:05 am »
I have a proton accelerator that I use (protons are hydrogen ions with a 1+ charge).   ;)

Just kidding.  Crisco is hydrogenated soy oil.  Saturated fats are not bad for you if you don't eat them.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2011, 05:00:08 pm »
Finally got around to making soap.  My wife and I made a batch today and split it into two parts with two different scents.  I had a heck of a time finding 100% Lye, but finally found the Rooto brand at Menards. 

1000g Olive Oil
500g Coconut Oil
200g Castor Oil
200g Shea Butter
100g Cocoa Butter

900g Water
290g Lye

Half of the batch got one ounce of "Tropical Vacation" scented oil, and the other half was an ounce of Sea Moss scented oil.

I think I'm going to like this hobby.  Thanks Euge.

J
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline punatic

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2011, 06:05:27 pm »
Seven pounds of soap!  How did you mold it?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2011, 08:58:31 pm »
Turns out my mother in law knows someone that makes soap.  So she let me use a couple of her molds and cutter.

J

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2011, 08:08:06 pm »
so for you guys who make soap... has anyone made their own shampoo? I made some tonight for my daughter whos been having some 'itching' issue lately. We went thru 4 shampoos, 2 are nutragena, which she's used with success in the past and the other 1 was what shes been using for over a year... her problem didn't go away changing shampoo and cutting out the conditioner, so what I made was:
1/4cup liquid castile soap
1/4cup water
1/2t olive oil
Shake it up and use it.

My question is, is there any way to thicken it up? make is closer to the thickness/texture of what you can buy...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2011, 10:06:08 pm »
You need to use potassium hydroxide in place of sodium hydroxide to make liquid soap.

To thicken up your mix try adding lecithin and use a blender to emulsify your mix. That's a long shot though. You're better off making it from scratch.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2011, 11:23:13 pm »
so for you guys who make soap... has anyone made their own shampoo? I made some tonight for my daughter whos been having some 'itching' issue lately. We went thru 4 shampoos, 2 are nutragena, which she's used with success in the past and the other 1 was what shes been using for over a year... her problem didn't go away changing shampoo and cutting out the conditioner
I have no idea, but my kids have had good luck with the "burts bees for kids" products.  The other thing was to rinse their hair for them, I don't know how old she is but my kids get itchy if I let them do it themselves in the shower.  I suspect they don't do a good enough job rinsing it out, and that gets itchy.  Same problem on their hands if they don't rinse the soap off well, it gets red and itchy.

You've probably tried it, I'm just hoping for an easy fix.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2011, 12:31:27 am »
I lived on a sailboat for a while.  The itchy scalp thing was a recurring nuisance.  A couple of shampoos with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap was the cure.  It is a liquid castille soap that is available at just about every healthfood store I've ever been in.

You might give that a try.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2011, 09:37:46 am »
So if I need to use KOH, that means I have to go with a 'hot' method right? Does using lecithin mean a hot method too? and I'm not sure what you mean by 'make your own'

Shes 9, and I know my wife has gotten on her in the past about rinsing well, I'll make sure shes doing that... I forgot all about that part! I forgot to mention the castile soap I bought has the peppermint oil in it... she was telling me last night that it tingled and felt good... but still still iched after her shower and this morning.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2011, 11:15:05 am »
All methods I describe will usually be the cold process. But the shampoo from scratch is a warm process http://www.thesage.com/recipes/recipes.php?.State=Display&id=114

Since you added oil if you try lecithin I would do it at room temp in a blender to emulsify all the ingredients.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2011, 12:06:47 pm »
euge, sorry for being dense or ignorant, but your comment about using lethicin... you saying add that to the recipe I posted and use the blender? Thanks for the link, I'll try that one too.

btw- My wife tried the one I made last night... absolutely hated it! Her hair lost all its softness, pretty much the best way to descibe it is, it got seriously squeaky clean. I figured it washed all the buildup out of it.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2011, 07:10:35 am »
Huh, here I thought I was the only one. I made a 7lb batch a year ago. I'm on the last bar now.

Don't remember the recipe offhand, but it was lye from Ace hardware and 7lbs of beef kidney fat rendered down. I poured it in a rectangular pyrex baking dish and cut it into bars with a chef's knife. Not pretty, but simple.

Also, I'm told that drip lye makes a soft soap - as in liquid - unless you add table salt. But I don't know anything about that from personal experience.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:57 am »
euge, sorry for being dense or ignorant, but your comment about using lethicin... you saying add that to the recipe I posted and use the blender? Thanks for the link, I'll try that one too.

btw- My wife tried the one I made last night... absolutely hated it! Her hair lost all its softness, pretty much the best way to descibe it is, it got seriously squeaky clean. I figured it washed all the buildup out of it.

yeah castille soap will strip the hair down alot. When I use dr. bronners on my hair I follow with coconut oil. Raw if I want a little coconut aroma, refined if I don't.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2011, 11:39:43 pm »
I lived on a sailboat for a while.  The itchy scalp thing was a recurring nuisance.  A couple of shampoos with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap was the cure.  It is a liquid castille soap that is available at just about every healthfood store I've ever been in.

You might give that a try.
Duly noted and tried this am...had that tingly nice sensation for half the day and
went until bedtime before any itchiness returned.  I'll give it another go or 2 and
hopefully itchy scalp will be gone. Thanks for this Carl...I was not sure what to do
next as I have been plagued by this malady...timing of the post uncanny.... :P
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2012, 10:55:59 am »
My wife and I made our second ever batch of soap today (first time without guidance).  Everything went pretty smoothly, just a couple of drops splashed out of the bowl when I was blending.  The wife is in love with Coconut Lime Verbena soap from Bath and Body Works, so that's what I was aiming for.  Anyway, this is the recipe:

450g Lard
400g Coconut oil
250g Hazelnut oil
.45 oz Lime Fragrance oil
164g NaOH

I like the Coconut Lime just fine, but next time I'm going to make something a little less girly.

J