Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wit Recipe  (Read 14766 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Wit Recipe
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 01:55:28 pm »
That was my first step mash.  That sucked.  Couldn't get the temp to stabilize anywhere except 104 since that's about the ambient temp outside here today.  I need a new, quicker reading and probably more accurate thermometer.  Everytime I got it to where I thought it would be good, I'd leave it for 5 mins, check again the temp would be way high or way low from what I was expecting. 

But, I guess it went OK, not sure yet since it's just boiling now.  Did hit pH 5.3 for the sacc rest so I was happy there but my temp kept dropping so I was probably somewhere between 155 and 145 most of the time.  Not that worried about it, it'll be fine but I don't know how you guys hit your temps.  I did it on the flame and then after mash-out moved everything to my cooler to sparge.  By the time I was done, it could have been a no-sparge beer since I got about 20L of first runnings.  Only sparged with 8L to rinse the grain because I didn't want to boil all afternoon.
Thanks for all the advice and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:10 pm »
I set the flame to barely kiss/lap at the bottom of the kettle as the temp is ramping up and stir, stir, stir for at least a few minutes after I reach my desired temp. I'm generally dead nuts on. I use a thermometer I got at WalMart which I have found is fairly accurate when tested against my lab quality Hanna ChecktempF
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 04:23:46 pm »
I forgot to add the 15 peppercorns.  Can I add them later?  Do they need to boil?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 06:39:23 am »
Just leave them out. See what you think. I like the complexity the small amount of pepper adds to the mix, but putting them in the fermenter would add something different.

Basically I made many incantations trying to get back to an extract kit I made which scored 42 at comp and was a darn nice Witbier. Getting the AG up to par I always thought it needed a little more spice and I decided to add just a few peppercorns and that seemed to make the difference in the end. I spin everything to dust in a spice grinder and add near the end of the boil. I guess you could boil them and add, but I wouldn't bother. Decide if you like the outcome as is and then tweak to make it what your desired witbier would be...

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 06:26:05 am »
This is now bottled and carbed and I'm fairly happy with the results.  The Wit character is great but I used 1/2 oz of chamomile flowers in the brew and they are over-powering all of the other spices.  The orange/coriander flavour that you'd expect is sort of not apparent.  It's good but next time I'm gonna switch out the LHBS dried orange peel for some fresh grated and cut the chamomile to 1/4 oz.  If you really love chamomile tea, you'd love this beer.
Thanks for all the advice.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 07:52:49 am »
I don't like Chamomile in a Wit and you'll find that it takes a buttload of fresh peel/zest.

I'd suggest you head back to basics, no chamomile (unless you love it) and maybe boost the coriander and peels to your taste. The peels really add to the bitterness of the brew.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 09:42:11 am »
Should I stick with the dried peel from the LHBS?  Some sources suggest that this gives more pithy bitterness than flavour and fresh zest would be better. 
I agree, I'll leave out the chamomile next time and see how it goes.  I like it but it doesn't fit the "traditional" flavour profile, that's for sure.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 09:45:17 am »
Should I stick with the dried peel from the LHBS?  Some sources suggest that this gives more pithy bitterness than flavour and fresh zest would be better. 
I agree, I'll leave out the chamomile next time and see how it goes.  I like it but it doesn't fit the "traditional" flavour profile, that's for sure.

The dried peel is traditional and I prefer it to fresh.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 11:07:53 am »
I prefer fresh zest.  Like Mike said, you're going to have to do it to your taste.  If you really aren't sure, start more basic and come up from there.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 11:12:14 am »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 11:16:36 am »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 11:50:53 am »
I prefer fresh zest.

You would.... ;D
Well it wouldn't be wet zest. ;D
Ha!  I get it.
I also use fresh zest.  I find the bitterness harsh and unpleasant when the white pith of the citrus is used and I'm pretty sure that is still on the peels you get it at the store.  To me, it has a taste reminiscent of spoiled fruit.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 11:55:39 am »
I'm actually gonna enter a couple bottles of this into a homebrew competition as "Chamomile Wit".  It's not a BJCP event so something like this that isn't too style but is sort of unique may do pretty well.  Who knows.  Like I said, it's good, just not what you'd expect.

Thanks to MDixon for the mash schedule and to Jeffy for advice on flavours and to everyone else for their comments.  It's probably gonna be a while before I get to do this again anyway (darn work!)

Offline orangehero

• 1st Kit
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 02:43:53 am »
MDixon,

Any thoughts regarding different raw wheat types for use in witbier (e.g. soft white winter, hard red, etc.)?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 06:22:28 am »
Hard wheats have more protein and so tend to give more haze. I think soft wheat is better for less hazy american wheat beers. That said, most use whatever is at the LHBS.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958