Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Cat....  (Read 5083 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
The Cat....
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »
...we have is approaching 16 or 17 years old. He's still in good spirits. Always indoor, and very social. Always in whatever room we are in. As he's getting older he's starting to get closer and closer to my wife..... I dread the day he croaks, not for him, but I know my sweetie will be absolutely crushed. (She's actually researching cloning him......it's "only" 28 large..... I have a problem.)

Anyway, when he thinks he hears her truck in the driveway he goes nuts.....yelling and screaming in the foyer.... (I suspect some siamese blood....) Now, I just got off the phone with sweetie at the other end of the house....but, I had her on speaker phone.... and he is screaming at the top of his lungs in the foyer.......

:o :o :o
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: The Cat....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:15:26 pm »
I (and the sister cat) still look for her brother daily.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:34:24 pm »
Yeah, I had one that was my best buddy.  When he passed I was crushed.  The best thing to do is wait a while, then get a new cat.  Not the same cat for sure, but they can become a good replacement. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
I've had several bestest buddy cats in my life.  Each one was very close.  It always took a long time for the emptiness and sadness to tail down to a dull ache once they passed away.  Each time I swear I won't go through it again...  and then a wise guy/gal kitten came along and stole my heart.  I often suspect it is the soul of an old friend in a new body;  God's way of dealing with different life spans.

I know that they will be there to greet me when I pass over to the other side.  That makes me smile every time I think about it.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:03:52 am »
It's been four years since Ernie passed on. We're only just now thinking of getting a new kitty. It sure is tough. Enjoy the time with them while you can.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:29:57 am »
This is my wife`s cat `Smidget, never mind that a co-worker & me spent 18months trying to catch her with the boss threatening to fire us daily :D

Smidget is at least 16yrs says the vet but most likely closer to 18 ,we're now giving her shots of EPO - Erythropoietin due to a low red cell count.

The clock is ticking.....  :'(

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:12:23 am »
There isn't a week that goes by that I don't think about "that day" for my pets. The best medicine is to appreciate the moment...enjoy each day with your pets, as we don't know when that day will come.
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:06:12 pm »
Mrs. Reagan, my tabby, was a bit of a dog-cat...extremely sociable, large, very friendly, not easily scared.  She got diabetes...got a couple more years after that (ye gods insulin is expensive!!!!) and then shuffled off this mortal coil.  Good cat!  Although I was happy she passed on when she did...my daughter was about a year old, or just under.  Imagining her dealing with that now, at 3, yikes!

We're expecting a second kid so that takes priority of course, but maybe in a couple years we'll get another cat...

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40:43 pm »
I'm dreading the day my kitty cat dies, also.  His name is Roots (after the Sepultura album not the TV series with La Varr Burton), he's about 9 years old.  Had him since he was 2; got him at the animal shelter.  I call him mowers, which sounds like mauers, because he meows a lot at times.  At 9, he's still pretty active.  Runs around, jumps up on stuff, has a lot of energy.  So I hope he's got another 8 years or so in him.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 02:51:09 pm »
We've got 2 14 year old cats who are thankfully in really good shape.  Another one about 4 and 2 new kitties in the 1-2 range.  At one point we had 6 that were all about the same age.  It was a tough year when we lost them all.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 04:26:55 pm »
Had a cat once that live to 19. Ms. Tubercle works for a vet so pet maintence is free :D

My two boston terriers get better health care than me. >:(
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 07:21:50 pm »
The Hair Ball

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 12:45:15 pm »
Damn, thas a fury kitty.  Probably pukes up hairballs and gets mats in the fur a lot, yeah?
Jesse

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:58:05 pm »
Damn, thas a fury kitty.  Probably pukes up hairballs and gets mats in the fur a lot, yeah?

Don't listen 1v; she is beautiful!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 03:19:30 pm »
I certainly agree, she is beautiful.  I wear mostly black clothes though, a cat like that would be a pain to deal with!  None more black!
Jesse