Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sharing small joys  (Read 12823 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Sharing small joys
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:39:15 am »
Times are tough, but sometimes you gotta sit back and think about how great a day can be. So that's what this thread should be about, perfect days. Today, for example, I got to:

1. sleep in (I usually wake up at 4am for an Australian client and don't go to bed until 10 or 11)
2. go for a drive with my wife and talk about random stuff (I love that)
3. play with my son in the yard for more than an hour. He just started walking and I was lucky enough to see him take his very first steps yesterday (steps plural, he's been doing a one-step drop for a while)
4. coming up to the deck to clean it from all the hazlenuts that have fallen, and finding that my cascade and EKG hops are going -gangbusters-. Gonna be a good fall.
5. bbq while watching a bears preseason game, drinking my pliny clone
6. just about to open a Cuvee van de keizer 2010 from Carolus
7. just about to eat MORE wings and kebab.
8. etc etc...

Have you had a good day recently?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:49:55 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Sharing small joys
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:57:24 am »
Good on ya, Phil!  My day won't be as relaxing and satisfying as yours was, but any day above ground is a good day!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:39:51 pm »
Ah and something else, punatic will appreciate this as a fellow BSA supporter: There's a BSA troop for Paris! There are local scouting outfits but nothing matches the BSA, ever. So knowing my boy can do BSA makes me a very happy camper. As long as his experience of scout camp was better than mine in central Florida... eep.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:04:31 pm »
Being a scout was one of the best things I've ever done.  I still draw on the things I learned there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »
Every morning when my feet hit the floor I thank God for another day of life in Hawaii.  It is not an accident that I am living here.  I worked hard for a long time to make it happened.  I am living the life I want, in my favorite place in the world.

This afternoon my family and I will be attending the first Troop 65 leaders meeting of the new Scouting year.  Our Scouting year follows the school year.  We will be planning our activities for the upcoming year.

The meeting is at Queen Liliuokalani Park on the Hilo bayfront.  A beautiful place overlooking the bay - across the bay is the town of Hilo, with Mauna Kea rising up behind.  The meeting is potluck and everyone brings something to share and something to grill.  The kids fish and swim while the adult leaders and senior Scouts work out the schedule of activities for the coming year.  These people have become my ohana.  I cannot tell you how lucky I am that I have them in my life.

I'm happy to read that there are Scouts in Paris Phil!  If you check the bios of the astronauts, great leaders, and other successful men, you will find that many are Eagle Scouts (once an Eagle, always an Eagle).  Scouting is an excellent organization.  The best part is, as a Scout leader, I get to be in the Scouts all over again, and help my son and other boys grow up to be good men. 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:13:52 pm »
A great day for me would be having phil send me a black perigord truffel
that he dug up from around the base of his hazelnut tree....!!!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 06:09:30 pm »
Scouting is an excellent organization.  The best part is, as a Scout leader, I get to be in the Scouts all over again, and help my son and other boys grow up to be good men. 

I hope that when the time comes my sons show some interest in scouting.  I was involved from the time I was 6 until I was about 19. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »
I'm greatful to join this community of folks that gather together for the benefit of this fascinating fermented beverage we all call beer. Cheers to beer!  :)
Ron Price

Offline punatic

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:55:48 pm »
Scouting is an excellent organization.  The best part is, as a Scout leader, I get to be in the Scouts all over again, and help my son and other boys grow up to be good men. 

I hope that when the time comes my sons show some interest in scouting.  I was involved from the time I was 6 until I was about 19. 

It's up to you to make the commitment to get them involved, and be involved yourself.  Chances are they will have great times, and you will have more fun than they do.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 10:09:59 pm »
Re: scouting, my son is interested but I won't let him join.  If they ever decide to let everyone participate, we'll happily join.

We had a great weekend though - we went to a nearby farm that has a park including a roller coaster, ferris wheel, a bunch of other rides, a petting zoo, pony rides . . . they didn't want to leave.  Nice dinner (grilled salmon and farm-fresh veggies), then camping on the backyard.  Today we went to a brew day at a friends' house, we haven't seen them in a couple of years.  Good times. 8)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:31:55 pm »
Re: scouting, my son is interested but I won't let him join.  If they ever decide to let everyone participate, we'll happily join.

Check out your local Cub Scout Packs.  I'm betting that you'll find one, or more  that let everyone except child molesters participate.

We exclude no one from Pack, Troop, Crew 65.  Religion, ethnicity, political leanings, gender and gender preferences are non-issues.  It's all about teaching our children the skills they need to be successful in life.

Venturers are for boys and girls.  Our Venturing Crew has more girls than boys (about 60/40).  Family members are welcome to (and do) participate in all of our activities.  We couldn't do what we do without them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:33:41 pm by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 11:02:30 pm »
Re: scouting, my son is interested but I won't let him join.  If they ever decide to let everyone participate, we'll happily join.

Check out your local Cub Scout Packs.  I'm betting that you'll find one that lets everyone except child molesters participate.
I'm sure you're right, this is a very liberal area in that way and they would almost certainly let anyone join.  The problem is that, unless they are running a rogue organization and have rewritten some things, it violates the membership policy, Scout Oath, and Law.  Until I can figure out how to violate them without violating them, we're at an impasse. :)  Meaning, you can't be trustworthy if you are lying when you take the oath.  We teach our kids that lying is wrong, so I can hardly encourage or condone lying in the oath.

My only hope is that they will get some new leadership and eliminate policies that expressly forbid my family's participation.  I respect their right to run things the way they see fit, I just think it's a shame that they feel the need to exclude people.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 11:29:46 pm »
Is it a religious thing? It never occurred to me that the scouts would exclude on that basis... :-\ Damn shame.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 12:04:04 am »
The BSA encourages Scouts to explore their parents religious beliefs, whatever those beliefs may be. We encourage parents and their children to have that dialogue, so that there is continuity from parent to child.  We feel that this is important, no matter what the parents' beliefs are.  Talk to your child.  Give them the foundation for your religious or non-religious beliefs in your own words.  Too many children are sent out into the world with no guidance from the people they look to the most for guidance, their parents.

Religion is not the main focus of Scouting by far.  Scouting endorses no religion over another.  Scouting's policy is that it is important that children are guided in their religious beliefs by their parents.

There has been a lot of erroneous information put out about Boy Scouts.  Don't let other people tell you what to think about the Scouts.  Go to the original sources, find out for yourself, and then decide.

We've gone way off of the OP.  Lo siento mucho.  Scouting brings me small joys, and large. 

It is noteworthy that so many successful members of our society were Scouts.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 01:06:10 am »
I don't know if it makes anyone feel better about scouting or not, but I got kicked out for decking the son of my troop leader. I think its fair to say I had anger issues at that age. (Of course, it is sad that as a flag waving atheist]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies#Position_on_atheists_and_agnostics]atheist, I'd be barred today)

On the small joys angle -

Getting to brew beer with friends visiting and sharing a pizza and some homemade beer.
Realizing that I have a bottle of Fantome Magic Ghost waiting for me
Getting that nice quiet moment to read and have a cup of coffee.
Being woke up in the morning by a goofy dog who's decided she'd like some love now.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison