Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sharing small joys  (Read 12829 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Sharing small joys
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 09:19:06 am »
I grew up in upstate NY.  Went to Beech Mountain scout camp in the Catskills.  Also likely closed now, sadly.

A brewing merit badge sounds like fun.  What would the requirements be?  The design could be a mash paddle logo or something.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 10:01:56 am »
Eagle Scout, 1976.

Beat ya by 10 years!  Order of the Arrow, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 10:47:13 am »
Eagle Scout, 1976.

Beat ya by 10 years!  Order of the Arrow, too.

Wow guys...  right on!

I really wanted to go to Philmont when I was a Scout.  It didnt happen because I moved around so much growing up.  Ten of our senior Scouts went to Philmont two summers ago.  The change in their maturity levels and self confidence when they returned was marked.  All ten have become Eagle Scouts or are working on their eagle projects now.  The ten have a close friendship that only comes from a shared experience like Philmont.  My son is almost 12.  It is our goal to go to Philmont in 3 or 4 summers from now.  I can hardly wait!  Being a Scout leader is turning out to be more fun than beiing a Scout was.

Phil, that really sucks, what happened to you.  There is ZERO tolerance for that type of behavior in the Scouts that I am involed with.  I am from Florida.  I have never heard of the policy you describe.  It doesn't sound like a good one for the example you gave.  I hope that won't keep you from getting you and your family involved in Scouting there in France.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:51:45 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 10:50:36 am »

Ladies and gentlepersons,

Proof that via homebrew even a nonagenarian like Denny can be as spry as a septuagenarian! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 11:12:52 am »

I really wanted to go to Philmont when I was a Scout.

Philmont was pretty cool, i was scout master for that twice, boundary waters twice and seabase once.  i think the best trip is the boundary waters. just absolute peace and quiet. If you didn't make it as a scout, maybe as a scout leader.
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 11:22:51 am »

Ladies and gentlepersons,

Proof that via homebrew even a nonagenarian like Denny can be as spry as a septuagenarian! :)

Just you wait til YOU grow up!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 12:16:11 pm »
A bit of a shame,
the Sharing small joys thread turning into the Boy Scout thread. :-\

Rejoicing in small joys is worthy.

I just spend a glorious week in the alpine wilderness,
away from electricity, people, and the persistent hum of engines.

On the way home, all burnt and leg weary,
we dropped off this hill
passed a fat bear munching in an avalanche chute,
and within 6 minutes were in town at the brewery enjoying a soured Berliner Weisse.

After only water for 5 days, that was a real treat. 
And to have a beer like that in such a remote location...even better.

Cheers to the proliferation of craft brewing.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 12:25:45 pm »
I just walked up to the front of our property to open the front gate for my wife to leave for work.  There have been wild pigs roaming da hood lately so we keep our fences secure and gates closed. On my way back to the house I discovered that my cacao trees are blooming!  Gorgeous flowers they are! 

Then I stopped at my pineapple patch and picked a white pineapple (Kona sugarloaf variety).  It's white pineapple season!  This baby is going to taste sooooo good when I get done with my daily bike ride.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 12:36:57 pm »
Nah, you know.. Scouts are a small joy for many. Some of us (like the angry kid version of me) had less than positive experiences with it.

It really does seem like the secret to the universe is letting go of your anger, letting go of the personal notion of being hurt and finding the joy / beauty in everything.

These days I kinda shake my head at the amount of anger I had back then. It really amazes me. And truthfully, the reason I got into a fight with that kid had nothing to do with Scouts and everything to do with him acting like a pretentious privileged git because of his dad's position.  It would still make me mad today, but instead I try and focus myself on that little secret and the knowledge that he had his own issues.

One of these nights, I'll finally acheive the perfect balance of what my partner refers to as my being "an atheist with Buddhist tendencies" :)

In the meanwhile, I'll focus on the gurgling fountain one room over, the breeze of the ceiling fan, the look of absolute devotion from my baby girl Chorgi and the notion that a little later today, I'll pour myself a glass of IPA. (But no white pineapple for me, sadness)

Now if only I could do something about the damnably pathetically cute Chi who's barking his fool head off at the gardeners two doors down.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:52 pm »
It really does seem like the secret to the universe is letting go of your anger, letting go of the personal notion of being hurt and finding the joy / beauty in everything.

THIS^^^^^

www.dennybrew.com

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 12:55:28 pm »
It really does seem like the secret to the universe is letting go of your anger, 

It's statements like this that really piss me off  >:(   ;)

I would have made a terrible Jedi ( but one hell of a sith )

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:49 pm »
I've got a great wife, been married 30 years now, 2 kids who turned out good enough as adults to go to work with me, I've got a good job and for the first time in 18 years we have great neighbors.  They both homebrew now, and George has covered his gas grill and now barbecues properly-on charcoal.
I'd say life is pretty good, and will only get better when my wife finishes her d**n master's degree in December.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 02:09:20 pm »
A bit of a shame,
the Sharing small joys thread turning into the Boy Scout thread. :-\

Rejoicing in small joys is worthy.

I just spend a glorious week in the alpine wilderness,
away from electricity, people, and the persistent hum of engines.

On the way home, all burnt and leg weary,
we dropped off this hill
passed a fat bear munching in an avalanche chute,
and within 6 minutes were in town at the brewery enjoying a soured Berliner Weisse.

After only water for 5 days, that was a real treat. 
And to have a beer like that in such a remote location...even better.

Cheers to the proliferation of craft brewing.

:o

Thanks for sharing. That sounds like an absolutely amazing vacation.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »
I'm just happy that the call this afternoon from my wife, a fender bender my 16 year old daughter was involved in, was to let me know everything was okay and the man she backed into just wanted to talk about how to deal with the minor damage.  All 3 of my daughters were unhurt  and the gentleman driving the other car was understanding ,so no police, no insurance and no screwing up of my brand new driver's record.  It was a blessing and I am blessed.

My son totaled a car in January.  Icy streets, 8 inches of snow, no control, 15 MPH in a 25 and the officer threw the book at him.  Simply for the crime of being 16 years old +1 day.  In Iowa you have no rights as a 16 year old driver and he is suffering the consequences of bad roads and a (sorry) prick for a cop.  His sister backed into a man driving his son's car.  The son, 31 now, got completely screwed over by an adult for the same type of situation when he was 17.  Mad is a good driver and bumped the right guy.  I thank God for little favors.

Sunsets are great, but meeting people who understand kids are kids and sh@# happens is so much better at this point in my life.  Had her license for 3 weeks and ran into a situation you can't prepare for, the worst thing is the person who caused it probably doesn't even know it happened.

I used to think Iowan's knew how to drive.  Now I know it depends on where you were raised.  In Des Moines, wear a helmet and mount a camera on your dash, you'll be glad you did.

Paul

*** Edited to fix my usual missed word and modifiers.  ***
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:53:03 pm by Slowbrew »
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 06:35:02 pm »
New gig. Outdoors everyday, fresh air, strenuous activity, wildlife spotted daily, and bird songs to behold at breaks and lunch. Beer at the end of the day taking on another dimension...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member