Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sharing small joys  (Read 12818 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Sharing small joys
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2011, 02:59:28 pm »
The only way to get food poisoning from mayo is if you add it to chicken to make chicken salad. believe it or not Mayo is very stable. You don't even need to refrigerate it (though it retains its flavor better if you do).

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:51 pm »
Store-bought mayo is presumably loaded with all sorts of crazy preservatives and whatnot, so I'm guessing you don't have to worry about salmonella. I would think that's a bigger risk with home-made mayo, actually, given that it uses raw egg. Of course, if you have chickens, you have pretty much nothing to worry about. Homemade mayo is indeed ridiculously easy to make. egg yolk, drizzle a tiny stream of oil while whisking. Voila.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:03 am »
And I commend you for not putting miracle-whip on the sandwich. ;)
This is like commending someone for not taking a dump in the bidet. ;D

Although I find mayo to be equally gross. :-\
Tom what do you put on a BLT then? Mustard?
If available, I'll have avocado.  If it's not available, dry is fine with me. ;)

I can't see how you could eat and enjoy a BLT without mayo .... unless you're some kind of wacko.  ;)
Yes, and? ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 01:40:25 am »
Store-bought mayo is presumably loaded with all sorts of crazy preservatives and whatnot, so I'm guessing you don't have to worry about salmonella. I would think that's a bigger risk with home-made mayo, actually, given that it uses raw egg. Of course, if you have chickens, you have pretty much nothing to worry about. Homemade mayo is indeed ridiculously easy to make. egg yolk, drizzle a tiny stream of oil while whisking. Voila.

And you claim to live in France?    ???

What you describe is the Miller Lite of mayonaise   ::)

I make my BLT's with wasabi aioli.  Yeah Baby!  Manly mayo for manly men!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 03:03:43 am »

And you claim to live in France?    ???

What you describe is the Miller Lite of mayonaise   ::)

I make my BLT's with wasabi aioli.  Yeah Baby!  Manly mayo for manly men!

Easy Trigger - If we're getting semantic, aioli is only ever mayo + garlic. Start adding stuff and it becomes flavored mayo.

Relevant post because correcting punatic on cooking techniques is a small joy.   ;D

Edit: my father-in-law makes the egg + oil recipe all the time, unless guests are coming over, in which case he adds in tarragon and chives and lemon juice. In France, the BLTs are so amazing, masking the flavors with overly poofy mayo only lessons the supreme quality of the other ingredients. The bread is baked by a 100-year-old artisan baker whose only oven is a wood-fired model from gallic times, using flour grown in fields where wrens and magpies soar over the heads of frolicking wild boar. The lettuce comes from a monastery, grown by monks who must adhere to strict AOC lettuce guidelines. The tomatoes are hand-delivered from the wicker pannier of a rickety peugeot bicycle ridden by a young man in a flat cap. So of course, the mayo contains only egg and oil, and perhaps some salt. Anything else would be doing a gross injustice to nos compatriotes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:13:38 am by phillamb168 »
----

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 04:17:30 am »

To each his own, but sometimes the simple original is the best. A BLT is comfort food through and through. Doesn't need dressed up with anything. In my humble opinion, that is.

That said, I can appreciate the simple joy of homemade mayo - only some of us don't have the time to bask in 80 degree breezy sunshine and drink coconut milk all day and sit around making homemade mayo whenever the hell we want to.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:24:05 am by majorvices »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 04:18:01 am »

Easy Trigger - If we're getting semantic, aioli is only ever mayo + garlic. Start adding stuff and it becomes flavored mayo.

Relevant post because correcting punatic on cooking techniques is a small joy.   ;D

Edit: my father-in-law makes the egg + oil recipe all the time, unless guests are coming over, in which case he adds in tarragon and chives and lemon juice. In France, the BLTs are so amazing, masking the flavors with overly poofy mayo only lessons the supreme quality of the other ingredients. The bread is baked by a 100-year-old artisan baker whose only oven is a wood-fired model from gallic times, using flour grown in fields where wrens and magpies soar over the heads of frolicking wild boar. The lettuce comes from a monastery, grown by monks who must adhere to strict AOC lettuce guidelines. The tomatoes are hand-delivered from the wicker pannier of a rickety peugeot bicycle ridden by a young man in a flat cap. So of course, the mayo contains only egg and oil, and perhaps some salt. Anything else would be doing a gross injustice to nos compatriotes.
Wow!  You should be writing menus for expensive restaurants.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 05:21:21 am »

Wow!  You should be writing menus for expensive restaurants.

I would, only all the restaurant menu writing jobs are taken by alcoholic poets wearing either a beret or a trenchcoat. It's the French AOC for menu writers, you see.
----

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 05:24:55 am »
I like Hellmann's.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:40 am »
I don't even go for BLTs in the first place...if I want a fresh tasting sandwich its vinegar and oil, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, pickles, olives, and some sort of cured salami of sorts, and I'm good!

However my wife has a penchant for BLTs and has recently changed to preferring ranch dressing instead of mayonnaise.  But if you really like mayonnaise (you strange, strange people, you) I can see keeping it simple...BLTs are extremely simple and the more flavor you add the more it obscures the basic ingredients.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 10:48:20 am »
I just picked a garden tomato that was still warm from the sun, sliced it thick

mmm, another simple pleasure in my book is a really sharp knife in the kitchen. 8)

The tomatoes are hand-delivered from the wicker pannier of a rickety peugeot bicycle ridden by a young man in a flat cap.

:D, Awesomeness.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:31 am »
Today is the 34th anniversary of the day I met my wife....that's a large joy!  (No, not her!)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:50 am »
I like Hellmann's.

My stroe bought mayo of choice.

Although I must admit, it threw me for a loop when I first moved to the west coast and there was no Hellmann's. Then I did my research and started buying Best Foods.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2011, 11:30:12 am »
I like Hellmann's.

My stroe bought mayo of choice.

Although I must admit, it threw me for a loop when I first moved to the west coast and there was no Hellmann's. Then I did my research and started buying Best Foods.

Tom robbins has a gleeful homage to best foods/hellmans in one of his short story collections wild ducks flying backwards i believe.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2011, 11:34:57 am »
I tried to make my own once but it was very runny and from a flavor standpoint, the Hellmann's every bit as good.