Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone here stock up on hops this time of year...  (Read 12168 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Anyone here stock up on hops this time of year...
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
Hey guys, from earlier in the post, how off will 2010 Saaz be right now?  A couple of AAU's?  Or several?

Depends on whether they're whole or pellets and how they were stored.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 02:59:27 pm »
Hey guys, from earlier in the post, how off will 2010 Saaz be right now?  A couple of AAU's?  Or several?

Depends on whether they're whole or pellets and how they were stored.

he wrote above leaf, and from puterbaugh, which I believe holds them in the mid teens (?). 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »
Sounds good.  I didn't know the imported hops were a year behind.  Learn something new every day!
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 06:30:05 pm »

Can you point me to a good website?

same place you just bought from.  just gotta be more patient  ;)

Yeah, what I posted for timing is from experience.  Keep an eye on the hopsdirect site.  You can e-mail around Christmas to get better timing on the imported European hops.  Got EKG before Christmas last year, others were not in.

As far as the hops loss vs. time, go to the Hopunion site and look at the hop handbook.  Saaz did not have a storage factor in my hard copy.  Most noble hops are listed as poor in my books.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 06:43:06 pm »
according to the prior edition of the hop union book:

45 – 55% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20º C

I forget the ROT factor, but storing them at 0º  will retard the loss significantly.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2011, 11:02:31 am »
Seems like shipping from Hops Direct and Fresh Hops to the east coast is sort of high.  I think I'm going to need to figure just how much I'd need to buy in order to make sure tha the hop savings isint gobbled up by shipping costs.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2011, 11:05:48 am »
Seems like shipping from Hops Direct and Fresh Hops to the east coast is sort of high.  I think I'm going to need to figure just how much I'd need to buy in order to make sure tha the hop savings isint gobbled up by shipping costs.

I am expecting 3 pounds tomorrow.  With shipping costs it cut my hop costs in half.  I was good with that.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline blatz

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2011, 12:09:29 pm »

I have bought about 4 pounds from each so far this year - in both cases the shipping was about $12-13 per.  I am probably in the same general zone as you, so that should give you a means of comparison.  So with the exception of my Simcoe, even including shipping, most of the hops were <$1 per ounce.

For freshops, if its below 2 pounds, I think they use one of those flat rate shipping USPS boxes.

It definitely makes sense to buy more.  You can use their zip code and yours on either Fed Ex or UPS websites to get an approximation and play with the breakpoints on poundage - I'd assume packaging is 2lbs.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2011, 01:55:02 pm »
buy amarillo and simcoe while you can...

8oz (max limit) amarillo
16oz simcoe  (32oz max limit)

from freshops today...

Thanks for the tip.  I've already got 2+ lb. of Amarillo, but I grabbed some Simcoe.

Didn't realize they were going that quickly. I got some Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Zues from FH today.

I was wondering what was going on with HD. I kept checking their site for Amarillo and never showed up. Turns out, I was too late. Did they ever have Simcoe or Citra?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 02:13:43 pm »
buy amarillo and simcoe while you can...

8oz (max limit) amarillo
16oz simcoe  (32oz max limit)

from freshops today...

Thanks for the tip.  I've already got 2+ lb. of Amarillo, but I grabbed some Simcoe.

Didn't realize they were going that quickly. I got some Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Zues from FH today.

I was wondering what was going on with HD. I kept checking their site for Amarillo and never showed up. Turns out, I was too late. Did they ever have Simcoe or Citra?
I think HD was sold out of Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra and Centennial when I was done brewing at 2:30 on 10/5.  Was looking for Amarillo and Centennial, so went to Freshops.  My 8 oz Amarillo and 1 Lb Centennial came in a USPS flat rate box, to confirm what was said above.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 02:25:11 pm »
It definitely makes sense to buy more. 

If there is such a thing as hop hoarding, I'm probably guilty. I had some carry over from last year. I don't think that will be the case this year.

I hate it when I can get something. It's always the ingredient I can't get that makes the beer. :)  Last year Simco is the only hop I ran out of and couldn't get.

I really like Hops Direct. I placed my order this year at 8 am on 10/5. Good thing. Appears they sold out of some varieties of whole leaf quickly. They're so great to deal with. I'm sure they're upset at having to limit orders.   

Hops seem to keep well. I don't rebag. I just open the mylar bags, take out what I need for a batch or two, then I reseal the bag with a hair straightener ($5 from Goodwill). I purge the bags with N2 before I reseal. CO2 would also probably work, but I have both. I prefer to brew with leaf but pellets take up less room in the freezer. I bought some Galaxy pellets before they sold out. Haven't tried them yet, but will soon.   

Offline blatz

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 03:41:11 pm »
. Did they ever have Simcoe or Citra?

Except for 2006 or 07 I have never seen them carry Simcoe.  I think they did have Citra this year, but I have about 1.5lbs of that from last year still, so I skipped over it.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 03:45:38 pm »
Hops Direct's site says they're starting to release pellets on Monday, Oct. 24, 2010. I hope that's a typo ;D
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline blatz

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 06:10:28 pm »

'nuff said

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 06:29:14 pm »
. Did they ever have Simcoe or Citra?

Except for 2006 or 07 I have never seen them carry Simcoe.  I think they did have Citra this year, but I have about 1.5lbs of that from last year still, so I skipped over it.

Maybe they didn't have Simcoe, but some of the "hops of the moment" went quick.

For me, I am waiting on some of the Noble hops and EKG to become available in January.  Need some Tett and Saaz along with the EKG.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild