Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Nutrient  (Read 29826 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Yeast Nutrient
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:05 pm »
What's in the vitamin?  The vitamins should be good for the yeast, the zinc too, although I don't know how the dosage might compare to yeast nutrient blends.   I would worry about the dosage and getting it to dissolve well.  Other things in, the vitamin may be a problem, I don't know.

Thinking about crushing up a flintstones and throwing it in?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 07:44:51 am »
Some minerals like iron may pose a threat to yeast development and beer flavor. I'm not sure what Vitamen C,D or B would do for the yeast.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 11:02:58 am »
Sorry, I should have said vitamins B, C, and D should be good for the yeast.  I'm basing that on the fact that yeast have proteins that deal with those vitamins (transporters and such).

Good point Ron, I would use one without iron added, although the concentration would probably be low enough to not be noticeable.  The default for vitamins is to not have iron anyway, so you should be fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:12 am »
Years ago there was a discussion on HBD about the benefits of zinc and several people advocated using zinc supplements in the wort.  I tried it but always ended up with off flavors.  I attributed them to not being able to cut the tabs down enough and getting too much zinc.  I have no idea if that's what was really happening, though.  Has anyone tried zinc supplements?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:00 am »
Wasn't Housman an advocate for supplements?  If I was going to go that route, I would crush the tablet up really fine, mix it with a sugar, then scoop some up and throw it in the boil.  It's a lot easier to scoop 1/4 tsp of sugar/zn mixture than to try to get a fraction of a gram.

But most pre-packaged yeast nutrients have zinc in them nowadyas, as long as you are buying a blend and not just DAP or hulls.  Both Wyeast Nutrient Blend and Servomyces have zinc.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline robertpreed

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 11:21:02 am »
Never used yeast nutrients before, but from what I have read and online about the Servomyces and the Wyeast Nutrient Blend, I will try on the next batch.

Anyone have any strong preference on one vs the other?

Thanks.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 11:30:55 am »

Who, me? ::)

I was just wondering because there are a lot of ingriedents metioned that are helpful to the yeast that are in people vitamin tablets but wasn't sure about the dosage. And like bluesman mentioned, things like iron and such that may be harmful. I heard of this being done but that doesn't make it right in all circumstances, sort of like Beano.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:45 am »
I still maintain that only water, yeast, malt and hops, should go into beer. I've tried nutrients and I can't tell any difference in the final gravity or flavor.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:00 am »

I was just wondering because there are a lot of ingriedents metioned that are helpful to the yeast that are in people vitamin tablets but wasn't sure about the dosage. And like bluesman mentioned, things like iron and such that may be harmful. I heard of this being done but that doesn't make it right in all circumstances, sort of like Beano.
;D

It's hard to say what some of the other things would do, but let us know if you see a difference when you try it. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:58 am »

;D

It's hard to say what some of the other things would do, but let us know if you see a difference when you try it. :)

I vote for Wilma... ;D
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 11:44:47 am »
I still maintain that only water, yeast, malt and hops, should go into beer. I've tried nutrients and I can't tell any difference in the final gravity or flavor.
Nutrients are far more important when you are reusing your yeast than when you are just using store bought yeast every time.

Btw, that Reinheitsgebot stuff is a load of crap.  Make your beer any way you want, but adjuncts and other flavorings can make some damn fine beer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 11:47:36 am »
Nutrients are far more important when you are reusing your yeast than when you are just using store bought yeast every time.

Btw, that Reinheitsgebot stuff is a load of crap.  Make your beer any way you want, but adjuncts and other flavorings can make some damn fine beer.

I only buy yeast every couple of years and maybe not even then. I just don't see the need for nutrients if you maintain adequate pitching rates and proper storage.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 11:55:37 am »

Btw, that Reinheitsgebot stuff is a load of crap.  Make your beer any way you want, but adjuncts and other flavorings can make some damn fine beer.

I only buy yeast every couple of years and maybe not even then. I just don't see the need for nutrients if you maintain adequate pitching rates and proper storage.
They are needed because malt doesn't supply everything that yeast require to be as healthy as possible and nutrients will be depleted over time if they aren't replaced.  But if your way is working for you that's cool.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »
I ranch my yeast on slants and build up starters as I need them.  I've experienced very noticeable differences since I started adding the Wyeast nutrient to the starter wort that I pressure can.  Most obvious difference is that my starters now experience massive blowoff whereas before it was hard to tell if the starter had fermented.
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 12:26:28 pm »
It's good to hear this experience Joe.

Does anyone know if there have been any studies at UC Davis or Siebel on the effect of Zinc and Magnesium on yeast health and development? I know that Wyeast recommends adding nutrients to support yeast development. I haven't done any side-by side blind tastings but I do take Wyeasts recommendation in confidence.
Ron Price