Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Nutrient  (Read 29823 times)

wildknight

Yeast Nutrient
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:39:46 am »
When is best to add yeast nutrient?  In the wort boil?  After the wort is cooled?  Only in the starter?  When you pitch yeast?

I ask because of an observation of my starter wort.  I boiled it in a glass flask last time instead of a SS pot, and I notice the wort got very dark.  I know melanoidins form as you boil the wort, but this seemed excessive.  I checked my yeast nutrient, and it has a lot of DAP in it.  I know that people making syrups also use DAP in making dark Belgian candy syrups.  I am wondering if the DAP I added to my starter wort caused the excessive darkening, resulting in the DAP being sequestered into melanoidins and no longer available to the yeast a free nitrogen.  Maybe I should add it at the end of the boil, or once it is cooled? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast Nutrient
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:42:58 am »
I have no idea if the DAP caused the darkening, or if the darkening matters at all.  I use Wyeast yeast nutrient in both my starters and the kettle.  I boil my starters for 10 min. with nutrient in the whole time.  In the kettle I use 1/2 tsp. for the last 10 min. per instructions.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:36:43 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:31:57 am »
I do exactly as Denny described, except sometimes I throw the nutrient in at 15 min, for no particular reason.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 12:03:10 pm »
I feed my yeast fresh wort and they gobble it up.

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:13:25 am »
I oil my starters for 10 min.

It took me a second before I realized it was a typo. At first I thought it was some new technique with which I wasn't aware.  :)

I add the Wyeast powdered nutrient in starters and Servomyces in the boil for most batches. I'm wondering if I really need to use Servomyces or if I can just use the less expensive powdered nutrient instead. I'm not sure what the differences are. I once used them hit and miss. Now I use them all the time. Nutrients do seem to help quite a bit.   

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:40:25 am »

It took me a second before I realized it was a typo. At first I thought it was some new technique with which I wasn't aware.  :)

I add the Wyeast powdered nutrient in starters and Servomyces in the boil for most batches. I'm wondering if I really need to use Servomyces or if I can just use the less expensive powdered nutrient instead. I'm not sure what the differences are. I once used them hit and miss. Now I use them all the time. Nutrients do seem to help quite a bit.   

I am pretty sure it was a typo but there is a technique, not much held by homebrewers anymore as far as I know, that involves putting olive oil in the starter to provide the yeast with lipids. This allows you to lessen or even skip the aieration step and supposedly increases shelf life. I beleive some large scale pro brewers do use this as it closes up a quality loss door in long term storage/transporation.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:29:28 am »

I am pretty sure it was a typo but there is a technique, not much held by homebrewers anymore as far as I know, that involves putting olive oil in the starter to provide the yeast with lipids. This allows you to lessen or even skip the aieration step and supposedly increases shelf life. I beleive some large scale pro brewers do use this as it closes up a quality loss door in long term storage/transporation.

oil  S/B  boil

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:37:50 am »

Thanks for pointing that out!  Wouldn't want anyone to think I was talking about olive oil.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:40:07 am »

AFAIK, no commercial breweries are actually doing this.  My understanding is that results of the study at New Belgium found a shorter shelf life.  If anyone knows differently, please correct me.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 09:57:23 am »
I have no idea if the DAP caused the darkening, or if the darkening matters at all.  I use Wyeast yeast nutrient in both my starters and the kettle.  I boil my starters for 10 min. with nutrient in the whole time.  In the kettle I use 1/2 tsp. for the last 10 min. per instructions.

+1 to Denny's method... except I add 1 full tsp to the boil.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 10:05:42 am »

Are you doing 10 gal. batches, Ron?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 10:12:38 am »

Are you doing 10 gal. batches, Ron?

1 tsp per 5 gal batch
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 10:13:42 am »
1 tsp per 5 gal batch

What nutrient are you using?  The Wyeast I use recommends 1/2 tsp. per 5 gal.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:16:52 am »
1 tsp per 5 gal batch

I'm using Wyeast...I think it's the nutrient blend. I've always used 1 tsp based on a recommendation from JZ.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 11:02:36 am »
1 tsp per 5 gal batch

I'm using Wyeast...I think it's the nutrient blend. I've always used 1 tsp based on a recommendation from JZ.

Hmmmm...hadn't heard him say that.  Maybe I'll try that on my next batch and see if I can tell a difference.

www.dennybrew.com